Music universities

Actually, now that you mention it, music theory is so inconceivably trapped in old conventions. For example, diatonic scales... who says there are 12 notes? Eastern music uses a different set of frequencies. As a matter of fact, who says there need to be octaves? Why favour powers of two when counting times? And even within the framework we do have... modes are completely symmetrical, but aren't treated as such. Ionian is "jolly", phrygian is "sad"... musical theory is useful, to be certain, but damn, is it irreparably bound in its own old ways. It needs urgent reversal to fundamentals (as in... what is fundamental to sound and music, and not what is historically preferred - as is currently the case).

haha yeah. I completely forgot. Indian classical music uses 26 different notes. it takes extremely skilled musicians to be proficient in that field.

However, that is an example of Eastern Music. For the Western World, our theory seems to be fine for what we do. unless, like I said, you can give me an example of some music (Western music, using the 12 notes we are accustomed to) that doesn't fit into theory. or maybe that doesn't make sense...since it'd be "western" music, it would have to "follow the rules" of western music theory right? haha, I think I'm confusing myself.

Pretty much anything by allan holdsworth would do... I guess it falls under those "avant-garde compositors which you don't like", and quite frankly it's a little too "experimental" even for my tastes. But... it does that which you asked. And it usually sounds really good.

That's my point exactly. Musical theory is mathematics. Pure mathematics. Music is taste. QED.

Aye, just the fact that its over-rated and not well needed is what I was getting off you, and I'm disagreeing with that.

Every musician needs to take their own route in progressing in knowledge and skill, as the creativity aspect is something very personal.

Actually, now that you mention it, music theory is so inconceivably trapped in old conventions. For example, diatonic scales... who says there are 12 notes? Eastern music uses a different set of frequencies. As a matter of fact, who says there need to be octaves? Why favour powers of two when counting times? And even within the framework we do have... modes are completely symmetrical, but aren't treated as such. Ionian is "jolly", phrygian is "sad"... musical theory is useful, to be certain, but damn, is it irreparably bound in its own old ways. It needs urgent reversal to fundamentals (as in... what is fundamental to sound and music, and not what is historically preferred - as is currently the case).

Did you discover Acid or something :lol:!?

Its how the mind works, is why we have these things. Your mind naturally hears, and likes, a 4/4 or a 3/4 beat. Its not so much phrygian sounds "sad", but more it sounds "dark". I MUCH perfer to consider modes as bright to dark, rather than happy to sad. Theory isn't a rule book on how to sound wicked, its guidlines on how to create the right sound you want. Generally, its VERY encouraged to break "the rules of how to sound good", and still sound good.

Basically, its best to know how to make pancakes, before you start making crazy shit like Apple-Dijon-Caviar pancakes.

Sorry. My mistake. Obviously the current way is the only way, and thus there is no music outside of it that sounds good. Our current music theory didn't change and evolve from past music theories, it was hatched in the very womb of god and brought to us by a UFO.

Not what I'm saying :lol:. I'm basically agreeing with you.
I'm just saying, learn to walk before you learn to experimental-fusion-dance.

But its basic fact, I play a standard rock beat on a drum, you'll nod your head. Its not math, or science, or faggorty, its just natural to hear a beat and like it. If I played an 11/16 beat for you, YOU may dig it, but many people won't even pick up on the pattern. If you are going to college to be a musician, you probably plan on sustaining yourself on music, which means most of the time you won't be trying to freak out the general population.

Music school literally preps you to do shit like commercial jingles, TV show themes, wedding singer, music teacher, ect. Practical musician jobs, not epic shredder that will change the world with his rooock! If he wants to succeed in school, he needs theory. Thats all I'm arguing with you.

Relavent to the conversation!
http://www.wimp.com/neworigami/