Music you used to listen to and now you cringe that you used to listen to it?

well I never listened to alot of music. Basically what I did listen to was Chris De Burgh, America, The Eagles, & Linkin Park. Thats sums up what I always listened too, and the only one im a little ashamed of is Linkin Park. But in all honesty I listen to all of them every now and than. Powermetal I have grown tired of, but I still pop in my nightwish, blind guardian, evergrey, every now and than. I just can't listen to them as much as I use too, unlike Symphony X. Where I can put all the albums in my stereo system and put it on shuffle, for a whole year and never be bored haha!

EDIT: on that note, I never fell into the new stuff like System of a Down, Korn, Slipknot, Atreyu, Alexis on fire and all the jazz. Never much enjoyed any of it, the only band in their I can stomache is SOAD! I did enjoy the 90's though, Bush X, Moist, Nirvana, Our Lady Peace, Oasis. I kinda miss those days, I could stomache having that stuff played on the radio, I know you all can. But when I listen to the radio station now, all I get is Britney Spears, Akon, Kanye West, T-Pain, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, and untill recently Chris Brown. And that is numero uno why I never ever listen to the radio anymore :)

Just wondering why ? I havent seen them since I&W other than a borrowed DVD. Seems like they are dead on stage, is this the reason ?

I just pretty much realized that I didn't like half the songs and I didn't feel very connected to the thing they were doing.

And they were so boring.

I don't know. I just haven't felt like listening to Dream Theater after that gig. Bad experience. Symphony X was just so much better..

Come on now, that couldn't have ALWAYS been the case. We all adapt and learn, change our minds.

Well, the ones I don't like don't stay in my collection for long. I end up selling them either at used record stores or on ebay or amazon. With the Internet, now more than ever, I get to preview the music first before I buy, which minimises the risk of buying music I won't like.

No, there is a difference. Its music you were once into and now "cringe" because you were once into it. Nothing there about buying something and finding out you dont like it. Hell over the years I've had all kind of stuff come my way I didnt like, whether it was a bad purchase or lent to me or came on the radio even some stuff I had just to try to get a taste for it. A few examples of that for me would be Metallicas And Justice for All, some Testament CD I recently bought, a Smashing Pumkins tape I bought back in the 90's. All stuff I was suggested to try and did but never got into it. Or a different scenerio, take Queensryche, I have not found any pleasure from Mindcrime II, I bought it, never listen to it but still like the older stuff without shame. Thats all totally different than the question asked.

We've all got our guilty pleasures...soooo here are some CD's I'm not proud to own.

Disturbed - Down with the Sickness
Coal Chamber - Chamber Music
Korn - Life is Peachy
WWF Music vol 3.

When I first got into metal it was a slow induction, and these bands/CD's were the easiest to find until I discovered older Fear Factory, Sepultura, Bolt Thrower and In Flames...then this stuff got left behind.

We've all got our guilty pleasures...soooo here are some CD's I'm not proud to own.

Disturbed - Down with the Sickness

The album's called THE SICKNESS.

Anyway, I can't say I cringe over anything I used to listen to, but I do find it just annoying. The only band I cringe about is The Offspring, and what's cringeworthy about them is what they've become. They were my favorite band when I was younger, and their older albums are still good.

Bands I used to listen to but are annoying and/or bad now:

Linkin Park (they turned to shit after Meteora)
Puddle Of Mudd ( they turned to shit after the first album)
Korn (they were mostly bad anyway)
Adema

I can't think of anything else, but those are some bands I used to have CDs of.

Not at all. Why would I be embarrassed for liking a shit band when I was under 10? And well, I don't know. Only one I can remember right now is Linkin Park and even that was like 2 songs I had on a CD.

E: Oh yeah and Limp Bizkit too, but those songs were pretty cool back then!

Nothing wrong with it, I agree. It's just that I see so many people getting embarrassed by listening to bands they onced enjoyed because so called ''elistists'' hate them, so I figured why not ask what you guys thought about the subject. I must say i'm rather surprised to see that I agree with pretty much everyone's thoughts on the subject.

most prog metal i just find annoying now...

Symphony X was for the most part my first exposure to the world of higher music, beyond video game soundtracks and techno, years ago (Ayreon came almost simultaneously). I was thinking/hoping that I had discovered a vast bombastic genre that would lead my way to much awesome sound. Years later, SX are still the only "prog metal guys" I can listen to more than a few times.

Symphony X was for the most part my first exposure to the world of higher music, beyond video game soundtracks and techno, years ago (Ayreon came almost simultaneously). I was thinking/hoping that I had discovered a vast bombastic genre that would lead my way to much awesome sound. Years later, SX are still the only "prog metal guys" I can listen to more than a few times.

agreed, prog metal is somewhat of a disappointment. time signature changes does not equal complexity or interest. :Smug:

for me the thing is I have no idea why anyone writes any music the way they do. Im very elementary but for whatever reason I come up with alot of stuff that is in 6/4 or 3/4 and I will alternate between them and 4/4, even some other odder stuff. I cant count. I dont do it on purpose, its how I hear things. So by that Im suggesting that its quite possible some more advanced musicians hear or feel things in odd time signatures, even if they know how to count them, still doesnt mean everything they write is done such and such a way in hopes to impress someone or to depress those that like to bang their head in 4/4.

Just a thought, because its dissappointing to hear people get all stressed out over anothers personal means of expression.

Well, to split hairs, expression is one thing and spastic scribble is something else. You've got guys like Jackson Pollock who work with odd styling and the jarring impression of randomnesss. A closer analysis reveals order, though, and a purposeful intent. Compare with what Pollock is typically accused of by the uninformed detractors: throwing a bucket of paint at the canvas. You can still worm your way into claiming there's a statement to be made there, and that it has just as much talent. But you know, to get back to music, I fully appreciate 5/4 like Giant Steps. I point the critical finger at music that for no explicable reason, spastically jumps from 7/4 to 15/9 to 6/4 to 2/4 to 9/8 in the span of 5 measures and then returns to its previous catatonic 4/4 state. Hence the description, epileptic fit. So-called "progressive" bands are inexplicably fond of this expression of dada-ism. Personally, I find it altogether unmusical and I do cringe to listen to it where once I was impressed by the skill to accomplish such a pointless feat. And no, as Postulate said, it should not elevate a particular music's complexity or value when it is clinical and formless.