Musical Enlightenment

Ten SiSi

New Metal Member
May 10, 2006
The more I browse this forum, the more I see very immature taste in music. I would have expected Opeth fans to have better taste! So all of you seniors, go ahead and share bands for EVERYONE to see. Feel free to discuss the bands, history or just general music discussion. My post will be small, but feel free to make giant posts with many bands.

I'll start with one for metal: Anything by Silenius

You know what would be cool? If this thread actually stays on track, without degenerating into numerous prog-metal bands (no, thats not an opportunity to get anal and complain).

Never heard Silenius myself. But a band ill plug is Tricky, specifically the album Maxinquaye. The genre is trip-hop, which im not sure how many enjoy here, but this album really is quite something. Generally laid back, interesting music, with a duo of vocals - the thick, husky voice of Tricky himself in combination with the strong yet sweet female vocals of his then girlfriend, whose name escapes me. This is the album he left Massive Attack to create, and the results were most certainly worth it.

- Dargaard 'In Nomine Aeternitatis'
- Akercocke ' Words that go unspoken, deeds that go undone '
- Mars Volta 'de loused in the comotorium
- Nine Inch Nails 'And all that couldve been'
- Massive Attack 'Mezzanine'
- Madder Mortem 'Deadlands'
- Elbow 'Asleep in the Back'

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Tricky, specifically the album Maxinquaye. The genre is trip-hop, which im not sure how many enjoy here, but this album really is quite something. Generally laid back, interesting music, with a duo of vocals - the thick, husky voice of Tricky himself in combination with the strong yet sweet female vocals of his then girlfriend, whose name escapes me.

That sounds worth checking out! I've never looked into what else they've done (if anything) so thanks.

disclaimer: I see no reason why anybody here should like my music

Clann Zu: punk, rock, folk, electronic band with violin and keys. It might be too "simple" for some. but it is crafted masterfully

and the moderist composers Debussy and Bartok. many others from that period (schoenberg included) are rubish

Debussy's music has the best use of tone colors.
Bartok incorporated folk music into modernist sound worlds.

the_3_toed_sloth said:
You know what would be cool? If this thread actually stays on track, without degenerating into numerous prog-metal bands (no, thats not an opportunity to get anal and complain).

Never heard Silenius myself. But a band ill plug is Tricky, specifically the album Maxinquaye. The genre is trip-hop, which im not sure how many enjoy here, but this album really is quite something. Generally laid back, interesting music, with a duo of vocals - the thick, husky voice of Tricky himself in combination with the strong yet sweet female vocals of his then girlfriend, whose name escapes me. This is the album he left Massive Attack to create, and the results were most certainly worth it.
I noticed you have Garm in your sig. Garm has cited Tricky as an influence. I haven't had a chance to hear hardly any of Tricky's catalogue, I'll definitely have to check it out.

You've never heard Abigor, Summoning, etc?

Prognostic said:
yup

affinityband said:
- Dargaard 'In Nomine Aeternitatis'
- Akercocke ' Words that go unspoken, deeds that go undone '
- Mars Volta 'de loused in the comotorium
- Nine Inch Nails 'And all that couldve been'
- Massive Attack 'Mezzanine'
- Madder Mortem 'Deadlands'
- Elbow 'Asleep in the Back'
Nice list!

btw, we should discuss some of this, instead of just leaving a list.

vampyrouss said:
That sounds worth checking out! I've never looked into what else they've done (if anything) so thanks.

You've tried other Tricky albums? Sadly, he was never able to recreate Maxinquaye again, though he certainly tried - the closest he ever got was probably Juxtapose, which had some definite quality to it, but still paled. Blowback was also a fine album, but exchanged trip-hop for a more pop take on things.

Ten SiSi said:
So all of you seniors, go ahead and share bands for EVERYONE to see.
amazing musicians that most of you probably don't know about:

frank zappa
frank zappa
the allman brothers
steely dan
miles davis (and pretty much anyone who was in his various bands, like john coltrane, herbie hancock, wayne shorter, john mclaughlin, chick corea, cannonball adderley, etc etc etc)
ween
blue oyster cult (the first 3 albums only)
johnny winter
frank zappa

westknife said:
amazing musicians that most of you probably don't know about:
frank zappa
frank zappa
the allman brothers
steely dan
miles davis (and pretty much anyone who was in his various bands, like john coltrane, herbie hancock, wayne shorter, john mclaughlin, chick corea, cannonball adderley, etc etc etc)
ween
blue oyster cult (the first 3 albums only)
johnny winter
frank zappa

I really hope you're joking.