Musical Enlightenment

she's also famous for her boots:

alisongoldfrapp.jpg

the_3_toed_sloth said:
You know what would be cool? If this thread actually stays on track, without degenerating into numerous prog-metal bands (no, thats not an opportunity to get anal and complain).

Never heard Silenius myself. But a band ill plug is Tricky, specifically the album Maxinquaye. The genre is trip-hop, which im not sure how many enjoy here, but this album really is quite something. Generally laid back, interesting music, with a duo of vocals - the thick, husky voice of Tricky himself in combination with the strong yet sweet female vocals of his then girlfriend, whose name escapes me. This is the album he left Massive Attack to create, and the results were most certainly worth it.

psst. *nudge nudge* silenius is the vocalist from abigor and summoning among others. :p

Mumblefood said:
Arvo Part - Litany
epic. The first time i heard the title piece my eyes fell out of my head and i began to fear god.
I believe there is only one recording of Litany and it's on ECM (Performed by Tallinn Chamber Orchestra with Hilliard Ensemble). Excellent recording indeed. Perhaps the most effective choral work by Arvo Part. The two works for string orchestra that follow, Psalom and Trisagion, are also very admirable. Psalom may even be more deeply moving than the other two works on the cd. This is among my favorite Arvo Part records.

westknife said:
having "heard of" an artist is totally different from being familiar with that artist's work. how many frank zappa or miles davis songs can you name, let alone hum the melody to? i would bet that almost 100% of this board could count the number of songs they know by both those artists on one hand

98% :Smug:

you have to hear the first track from that album..."lovely head"
they have put some really weird effects (i had never heard before anywhere) on her vocals to give it a very guitary feel...i had heard other musicians do stuff like fade a vocal into a guitar solo or the other way around but nothing like this! it's hypnotising!

and of course another important point: it is a widely accepted belief among goldfrapp listeners that goldfrapp increases the mood and is the greatest soundtrack to your intimate moments. =)
the lyrics say much, too:

it starts in my belly
then up to my heart
into my mouth, i can't keep it shut
do you recognize the smell
is that how you tell
us apart
i fool myself
to sleep and dream
nobody's here
no one but me
so cool
you're hardly there
why can't this be killing you
frankenstein would want your mind
your lovely head
your lovely head

and now for something completely different...

Sondre Lerche - Two Way Monologue
John Martyn - Solid Air
carole king - tapestry
america - hideaway
edith piaf - la vie en rose
Vast - Music For People
hank marvin - self titled
polly paulusma - scissors in my pocket
scott walker - 4
Valerie Carter - Just a Stones Throw Away
David Sylvian - Secrets Of The Beehive
The Bad Plus - We Are The Vistas

derbeder said:
I believe there is only one recording of Litany and it's on ECM (Performed by Tallinn Chamber Orchestra with Hilliard Ensemble). Excellent recording indeed. Perhaps the most effective choral work by Arvo Part. The two works for string orchestra that follow, Psalom and Trisagion, are also very admirable. Psalom may even be more deeply moving than the other two works on the cd. This is among my favorite Arvo Part records.

Yes, it's the only recording. It's my very favorite. I have every one ECM has put out, plus a couple other recordings (particularly the Fratres). Litany though is the piece i will always remember most. The crescendo's near the end are the most unbelievably powerful moments in music i think i've ever heard.

i listened to the sample on cdnow...must not have heard the part that you are talking about...but it is some powerful music, and her voice is beautiful. if you like this, you oughta give the new fiona apple album a shot. its in the same vein, but not as big and dreamy...the song human is has a fiona apple vibe.

ooohh, i like pilots

JoeVice said:
i listened to the sample on cdnow...must not have heard the part that you are talking about...but it is some powerful music, and her voice is beautiful. if you like this, you oughta give the new fiona apple album a shot. its in the same vein, but not as big and dreamy...the song human is has a fiona apple vibe.

ooohh, i like pilots

already have it, thanks ;) fiona apple is up there with tori amos for me. but her "tidal" album is still my fave.

well it's quite immature compared to her latter stuff (esp. the last one...she was 18 at the time of the release!!) but it still shines. it was also the first thing i heard from her and you know the deal with first listens...it has the greatest impact on you usually.

it's definitely worth picking up, though, and im sure you'll enjoy the majority of the tracks