Musical Enlightenment

Loving the S&G, haven't listened to much Cat Stevens and I think the entire point behind this thread is complete shite. Musically Immature? What the fuck does that even mean? You're listening to Greatest Nursery Rhymes ever Pt III. Firstly, Ten SiSi, you gave us no idea what you listen to so what exactly are you looking for? Were you expecting everyone to swill their brandy glasses and say "Well actaully I do enjoy a spot Rachmaninov"...not going to happen. Personally I don't listen to him, I occasioanlly lash on a bit of Wagner or Mozart, or any other famous composer but I won't pretend that I know anything about it. Or where you expecting people to name drop some really really obscure 70's prog bands? Or perhaps metal bands that are no one's heard of? A lot of us just don't listen to that much music, or taht diversity of music on a regular basis, I try my best but I know there's people on here, NFU for example who (though many may think he's a bit of musical snob) listens to a hell of a lor more muisc than me? So really what was the point of this thread? So people could name drop obscure bands to look like they no about music? And as for "a better taste in music", what the hell? taste is subjective, it's opinion...how the hell can one opinion be better than another?

These "I Like Better Bands Than You" threads are such total shite.

If I've totally missed the mark and you weren't being a snobish arsehole I'll apolagise now.

Powers said:
So people could name drop obscure bands to look like they no about music?
If I've totally missed the mark and you weren't being a snobish arsehole I'll apolagise now.

Just for the record, I now shit about many aspects of music, but I do know what I like. I though this threat was just for members of the forum to mention bands that may be completelly new to others. I personally have 'discovered' most of my favorite music either by accident or by recommendation from others. So easy nowadays, hear about a band, look up their website, listen to one of the downloads/samles, if you like it, maybe go on and buy something, if not move on. I don't think there is any snobery in this thread at all.:)

derbeder said:
brahms has composed the best music on that list. i would also +1 enslaved, burzum and ulver, especially. i like the other bands a lot as well. as far as i'm concerned the list is pretty good. but i doubt i would have a whole lot of metal bands on my list for 'musical enlightenment'. still i probably would put burzum on it.

You can't really mention an NSBM band and the word "enlightenment" in the same sentence in any context, wothout sounding rediculous.

Especially when they're as shit as Burzum.

I'd strongly advise fans of Opeths mellow/acoustic side to check out Swedish singer/songwriter José Gonzaléz. His debutalbum Veneer is great and his sophomore album will be probably be released later this year... also his other band Junip (who have only released the ep "Black Refuge") are possible even better. The Black Refuge ep also features a REALLY great cover of Bruce Springsteens "The Ghost of Tom Joad".

Also José's version of The Knife's "Heartbeats" is the song featured on the Sony Bravia TV Commercial... and is also to be found on Veneer.

If you want to give it a shot try the songs...
Crosses - José Gonzalez
Heartbeats - José Gonzalez
Turn to the Assassin - Junip
The Ghost of Tom Joad - Junip

Powers said:
Were you expecting everyone to swill their brandy glasses and say "Well actaully I do enjoy a spot Rachmaninov"...not going to happen.

I do actually like Rachmaninov, although not in a very brandy-swilling way. I definitely recommend any of his piano concertos if you like that sort of thing.

Powers said:
I try my best but I know there's people on here, NFU for example who (though many may think he's a bit of musical snob) listens to a hell of a lor more muisc (sic) than me?

How does he (I assume) do it? With work and kids there's a limit to how much new stuff I can absorb and have an appetite for. There's also the sheer question of how much music I can afford. :) I think NFU absorbs more music than anyone I've ever encountered.

Powers said:
So really what was the point of this thread? So people could name drop obscure bands to look like they no about music? And as for "a better taste in music", what the hell? taste is subjective, it's opinion...how the hell can one opinion be better than another?

It's always the way, what starts as a sincere attempt to get some band recommendations turns into a festival of socially inept music snobs trading insults and uncompromising value judgements. Oh well.

Back to topic, I'm totally into Devin Townsend these last few days... recent discovery for me. The 2006 album Synchestra took ages to penetrate my musically thick skull but I'm really hooked on it now.

Ken Lyall said:
How about Captain Beefheart & his Magic Band, from the delta blues to the extreemly wierd and wonderful, lyrics to ponder over, angular rhythms and riffs fighting with themselves.
Trout Mask Replica and Doc at the Radar Station, stand out albums in my opinion.
beefheart pwns

SO what does everyone think of Enslaved's new one? I personally think it's the best metal album of 2006 thus far. And I don't really expect there to be a better one this year.

prowlergrig said:
haha this guy is even more swedish than martin lopez :lol:

Well his origin is obviously not... but unlike Lopez he is born and raised in Gothenburg, Sweden. His father is from Latinamerica... I don't know about his mother so I won't comment on that.

And by the way the point wasn't his citizenship or origin, it was his great music.

Ten SiSi said:
SO what does everyone think of Enslaved's new one? I personally think it's the best metal album of 2006 thus far. And I don't really expect there to be a better one this year.

its okay. it bored me to tears at first, but its growing on me. they are very "influenced." they like to stick to form.

NineFeetUnderground said:
and now for something completely different...

Sondre Lerche - Two Way Monologue
John Martyn - Solid Air
carole king - tapestry
america - hideaway
edith piaf - la vie en rose
Vast - Music For People
hank marvin - self titled
polly paulusma - scissors in my pocket
scott walker - 4
Valerie Carter - Just a Stones Throw Away
David Sylvian - Secrets Of The Beehive
The Bad Plus - We Are The Vistas
"I Don't Have Anything"

Loreena McKennitt - Mask and Mirror
Paul Oakenfold - Transport
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Amplifier - Amplifier (Yes from the former Music for Nations label)
Badly Drawn Boy - One plus One is One
DJ Shadow - Entroducing
Morcheeba - Back to Mine
The Pixies - Surfa Rosa
The Toadies - Rubberneck
Cafe del Mar - Vol.9

:loco:

JoeVice said:
its okay. it bored me to tears at first, but its growing on me. they are very "influenced." they like to stick to form.
The only thing I can think of as "form" on Ruun is the constant use of major chords, but hell, it sounds good and has yet to stagnate. Most people listen to Enslaved records the wrong way, anyway. Enslaved is program music. It's supposed to make images in your heads and stir feelings within you. Most of Ruun is so fucking epic. But unlike their other records, Ruun has a very cohesive writing style. All the songs make perfect sense in the linear song logic, but yet they are still very unique. If a band can do that throughout an album, then it will be a very good album. Katatonia does this, too.

So we are supposed to brag about the cultural, exotic and 'mature' music we listen to? What do you mean by that? Few people here listen to very accessible, MTV music anyway. I like many simple, catchy bands, like Nightingale, but also 'mature' music, like Duke Ellington.

vampyré said:
Holy shit this thread is shitty! :ill:

Torenstain said:
So we are supposed to brag about the cultural, exotic and 'mature' music we listen to? What do you mean by that? Few people here listen to very accessible, MTV music anyway. I like many simple, catchy bands, like Nightingale, but also 'mature' music, like Duke Ellington.
Obviously you gents missed the point. Too bad.