Musical Enlightenment

westknife said:
amazing musicians that most of you probably don't know about:

frank zappa
frank zappa
the allman brothers
steely dan
miles davis (and pretty much anyone who was in his various bands, like john coltrane, herbie hancock, wayne shorter, john mclaughlin, chick corea, cannonball adderley, etc etc etc)
ween
blue oyster cult (the first 3 albums only)
johnny winter
frank zappa
WEEN

silenius, the vocalist for summoning? i've heard summoning. i like it and dislike it for the same reason.... the music stands still, it doesn't really grab me. it is very slow-motion, meditative, large picture music...basically, i think its fun, but flat and boring. but, i'd like to check out an entire album. this opinion is based on six 1 minute samples.

the_3_toed_sloth said:
You've tried other Tricky albums? Sadly, he was never able to recreate Maxinquaye again, though he certainly tried - the closest he ever got was probably Juxtapose, which had some definite quality to it, but still paled. Blowback was also a fine album, but exchanged trip-hop for a more pop take on things.

Nah, I meant Massive Attack in general. But I guess I'll start with that one then.

Ten SiSi said:
The more I browse this forum, the more I see very immature taste in music. I would have expected Opeth fans to have better taste! So all of you seniors, go ahead and share bands for EVERYONE to see. Feel free to discuss the bands, history or just general music discussion. My post will be small, but feel free to make giant posts with many bands.

I'll start with one for metal: Anything by Silenius

oh man. you have the superior tastes. you are the judge of what is good and bad. :rolleyes:

I might post some things I've been listening to lately later (or probably tomorrow or whenever I have time). But I think it would be useful if everyone attaches a little blurb when they recommend an album instead of just saying "everything by band X". Maybe I am just stubborn, but things like that generally don't really help me want to check out a band any quicker. One single band with some information about what they sound like and why you think they are essential is a lot more useful than just a huge list of bands. If you want that you might as well just go visit Metal Archives.

welp, obviously you're an idiot

OK then.

Since we're judging each people on one post, I think you are also an idiot. The 'amazing musicians that most of you probably don't know about' comment was pretty stupid considering you posted a whole bunch of artists that I'd hope 90% of the board would know. I mean who the hell hasn't heard of Frank Zappa or Miles Davis? Whatever, I may be jumping to conclusions but it sounded like you thought you were the man because you knew of some semi-obscure bands. Go you :kickass:

FuneralPortrait said:
OK then.

Since we're judging each people on one post, I think you are also an idiot. The 'amazing musicians that most of you probably don't know about' comment was pretty stupid considering you posted a whole bunch of artists that I'd hope 90% of the board would know. I mean who the hell hasn't heard of Frank Zappa or Miles Davis? Whatever, I may be jumping to conclusions but it sounded like you thought you were the man because you knew of some semi-obscure bands. Go you :kickass:
having "heard of" an artist is totally different from being familiar with that artist's work. how many frank zappa or miles davis songs can you name, let alone hum the melody to? i would bet that almost 100% of this board could count the number of songs they know by both those artists on one hand

These are all over the map, but albums i really enjoy.

EDIT: Changed my mind. Here's short descriptions of each.

Birchville Cat Motel - Beautiful Speck Triumph
Free noise. Absolutely gorgeous, for very different reasons than most people would call things "gorgeous". Unreal.

Raison d'Etre - The Empty Hollow Unfolds
Just about the most perfect Darm Ambient album ever.

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?
Simon Posford is a genius, and this is the best produced CD i own. So much detail and work went into the sound of this. Not to mention the songwriting is fantastic anyway.

Arvo Part - Litany
epic. The first time i heard the title piece my eyes fell out of my head and i began to fear god.

Nordvargr/Drakh - Infinitas In Aeternum
One of the scariest albums i own. Prime black ambient.

Weakling - Dead As Dreams
The bet BM album i've ever heard.

Max Richter - Memoryhouse
The sound of a heart breaking.

Johan Johannsson - Virdulegu Forsetar
What i want at my funeral. The sound of "everything will be ok".

Szymon Kuran - Requiem
Almost the most fragile, beautiful music i know of. Still, a sense of darkness clouds the whole thing.

Irr. App. (Ext.) - Ozeanische Gefuhle
what the fuck. Weird, and amazing surrealist ambient.

Elend - Winds Devouring Men
You know this. If you don't you suck.

Nadja - Truth Becomes Death
melodic drone doom. Aidan Baker is amazing.

Andy Timmons - Ear X-Tacy
My favorite lead guitarist. Andy does everything BUT just "play the note".

Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries
Everyone who plays inventive acoustic guitar wishes they were him.

Yowie - Cryptooology
hahahahaAHAHAHAHAAH. That is all.

Devil Doll - The Sacrilege Of Fatal Arms
Mr. Doctor is weird. Very eclectic.

Esoteric - Metamorphogenesis
dooooooooooooooooooooooom

Neurosis - Through Silver In Blood
being held down and pummeled by slow to mid paced guitar riffs.

to sean casy...yes, that is what he believes, but just ignore it and post your recommendations.

here is mine for today...

pat methany - on the way up
steve reich - you are (variations)
ephel duath - pain necessary to know
john christensen - ?
fiona apple - extraordinary machine

i was never really big on jazz because i never took an effort to find some that i really dig...which is what i have done recently.

steve reich is friggin amazing. a lot of his compositions are from a counterpoint perspective, which is the focus on simultanious horizontal melodies rather than vertical harmonic structure...

fiona apple is one of my favorites right now too...amazing lyricist...and definetly not a cliche song-writer.

Sean Casey said:
oh man. you have the superior tastes. you are the judge of what is good and bad. :rolleyes:
Please, YOU need to just get involved in this conversation. I mean, ARE you the judge of music? You leave A message like that, and it could COMPLETEly disrail the thread, so please, for the sake of not being a JACKASS, just leave the trifling opinions off my thread.

westknife said:
having "heard of" an artist is totally different from being familiar with that artist's work. how many frank zappa or miles davis songs can you name, let alone hum the melody to? i would bet that almost 100% of this board could count the number of songs they know by both those artists on one hand

oh please shut up

didnt you just say "amazing musicians that most of you probably don't know about:"?? most if not all of the musicians you have mentioned are on many people's fave lists on this forum. you might be new to the forum, thats ok, but then show some respect and dont make any pretentious assumptions and generalisations before getting to know people.

it's..................fantastic! :p

seriously, it's one of those records that hooks you from the first track. alison goldfrapp is a very versatile vocalist and a really obscure lyricist. but of course, before these, goldfrapp shines with their compositions...really great folk-influenced trip hop tracks, but muh more downtempo. excellent melodies, well thought out arrangements and keys.

goldfrapp1.jpg

oooh la la la!

Mumblefood said:
Neurosis - Through Silver In Blood
being held down and pummeled by slow to mid paced guitar riffs.

I once described this album to someone as being strapped down onto a bed while someone is sawing your limbs off very slowly with an incredibly rusty bone saw. Then they asked me why on earth someone would want to listen to that and I didn't know. :\

I once fell asleep to it though, and waking up with this album playing is not the most pleasant experience ever. I actually felt frightened for a few seconds while I was sleep drunk until I actually woke up and remembered where I was and what was happening.