What determines musical taste for metalheads?

Kara-Shehr

Sep 2, 2010
Ever ask yourself "how are metalheads so different from one another yet kind of the same?" Whenever I talk to someone who likes the same band as me, I wonder if they went through the same experience while listening to said band's music, did they feel the same things, think the same thoughts while hearing the lyrics ect.

How much does one's own life experiences and temperament influence musical taste? How much does musical taste influence life experiences and temperament? If there is some kind of correlation between these things, is there some sort of unified trait all metalheads share?

PS. I posted this in another forum. I didn't really get many good answers I'll give here a shot.

I think there are 2 different types of metalheads. You have the dumb ones who want to mosh and headbang and are all for Satanic lyrics and gorno lyrics. Then you have the social misfits who are more intelligent and listen and enjoy the structural complexity of prog and tech metal.

I think there are 2 different types of metalheads. You have the dumb ones who want to mosh and headbang and are all for Satanic lyrics and gorno lyrics. Then you have the social misfits who are more intelligent and listen and enjoy the structural complexity of prog and tech metal.
<obligatory extra chromosome joke>

I headbang. So I'm dumb. But I also listen to prog. So I'm intelligent. Please explain.

And who would honestly sit back with a prog record and say: "Mmm... That's some good structural complexity."

How much does one's own life experiences and temperament influence musical taste? How much does musical taste influence life experiences and temperament? If there is some kind of correlation between these things, is there some sort of unified trait all metalheads share?

I think musical taste would be heavily influenced by ones own experiences and temperment (I know mine is). I'm not so sure about the reverse though, obviously going to a metal concert would change (or add) to your life experience, the impact of metal on someones temperment is another subject entierly.

Oh... mercy.

While there is two groups like this within the metal fan base, this is perhaps one of the worst blanket statements to be made about metal heads.

Oh well in that case, I was never sexually assaulted. I even went to a catholic church. I take it that I just wasn't cute enough as a child. Kinda sucks, because I know the former father was a total fucking child molestor.

Oh well in that case, I was never sexually assaulted. I even went to a catholic church. I take it that I just wasn't cute enough as a child. Kinda sucks, because I know the former father was a total fucking child molestor.

I can't find a video of it, but this post reminds me of that South Park episode where Mr. Garrison is upset that his father never molested him as a child.

Then you have the people who act like knowledge of metal and listening to what is deemed as good by the most adamant elitists is the epitome of human worth and intelligence.

Not saying you're one, Altermindeath, your post just reminded me of them.

Rather than the elitist prick vs the moshing idiots argument, I think it all boils down to what characteristics you look for in music. Some people are very groove and riff oriented and prefer to listen to thrash or something that would be fun to mosh to (ie catchy). Sometimes these people are also focused on good rhythm as well. The people at the other end of the spectrum prefer atmosphere and musical composition over rhythms and riffs. These listeners may prefer death and black metal and tend to appreciate the execution of the idea moreso than the actual rhythm/riff/melody. Though of course interesting melody/riffs are needed, but they are of secondary importance when looking at the overall composition of the album.

Now of course im referring to these two positions as a spectrum, so it doesnt mean that you need to fall on one side or the other. I myself am more critical of composition and execution than I am of the riff/groove, but it really depends on the mood im in. It may even depend on the environment im in (ie. party, car to/from work, headphone listen after a bowl, etc).

Sometimes I find more thrashy/groove oriented metal to be lacking in content, and other times I find it so enticing that I cant stop listening to it. Likewise, im not always in the mood to appreciate something atmospheric and conceptual like Dark Tribe.

I understand the inherent elitism behind the more conceptual listeners, who either feel like they connect with the atmosphere of the musical composition or those that think they need to be intelligent to understand the technical aspects of tech death or the theory behind prog composition; Versus those who latch on the the concept of a good riff or a "headbangable" rhythm. And while I disagree with this elitist mindset, I certainly do recognize that a good quality listen involves more than the acknowledgment of a catchy riff and requires further understanding of the musical composition to "properly" appreciate the work of art that the musicians put their efforts into composing.

It also seems like there is a resentment of some sorts going on; The more "shallow" heavy music tends to gain more commercial success than the bands who want to express their ideas and possibly innovative concepts in the form of a less accessible form of music. It may not denote music of a higher quality, but lets face it: Some bands exist simply to thrash out and/or make a living with their music, which translates to more accessible music, more fans, and more $$.