Chnaging opinions of heavy metal?

KierantheMetalHead

New Metal Member
Mar 12, 2013
Hi everyone.
I’m currently doing my last year in high school (joy oh joy) and part as the course the group of people who decide what the curriculums are for each subject decided that it would be a good idea to do a research project on almost any topic of our choice. By far one of the worst things my fellow students and I are enduring. Anyway my topic is on how has opinions of heavy metal has changed from its conception up until now. One of the "approved" ways of researching a topic is to use forum websites that are appropriate to the topic, and hence that is why I am here.

Ok that was just some background information, fell free to ignore all the above and answer the below stuff (please :p).

Before I being I would like everyone to tell me what is their personal definition of heavy metal?
There are many stereotypes that those known as metalheads may be subjected to. These stereotypes typically include that metalheads wear black clothing, smoke, take drugs, drink and have unprotected sex. Some more extreme stereotypes include that metalheads are all depressed, drug addicted, violent (in some cases murderous), devil worshipers. Metalheads can also be bombarded with negative opinions about the music such as: it’s just loud noise, the vocalists are terrible, and that it requires no skill. These negative stereotypes, possible misconceptions, and opinions are things that may course metalheads to complain. However, I would like to discuss is:

Are metalheads, in reality, really actually exposed to negativity from those who don’t like heavy metal or is it just a kind of folk law?
Is there any truth behind any negative opinions?
Does it really have any kind of impact on metalheads lives?
Do metalheads sometimes, if at all, over exaggerate how much these negative opinions are launched at them?
Is there positive opinions about metalheads at times, if so where did they come from?
How do you feel that the general population's opinion towards heavy metal has changed from when it was first conceived until now?
Is there any bands you would blame or credit for this?

Please discuss the above, as I am doing the research I’m not allowed to contribute to the discussions except to ask questions if I feel the need arises (sorry :p). You do not have to answer every question and please discuss them amongst yourselves as much as possible.
Also those who leave answers or bring up points that I find are of a high standard I may ask you wether I could quote you when presenting my research, you will be kept anonymous of course.

Have a nice day everyone :headbang:

P.S. I have already posted this on one forum and peoples responeses where....less then freindly or helpful, I could almost their resposnes to support negative case's I find.

P.S. I have already posted this on one forum and peoples responeses where....less then freindly or helpful, I could almost their resposnes to support negative case's I find.

That may not be so much a metalhead negative thing as an internet forum trolling thing...

I'm not going to give you my personal defition of 'heavy metal' as it'll be a long post anyway.

Actually exposed:
Metalheads can be subjected to negative prejudices in reality. However, these are normally on the behalf of small people who feel they need to attack anybody who is different in order to make themself feel important, valued and a part of the group.
Opinions:
Like every other generalisation against a minority group, there is some truth, mostly blown out of proportion. Some metalheads drink a lot of alcohol or abuse drugs - some people in positions of power, ie teachers or priests, molest children.
Impact:
Sure it does, depending on the person and their situation. Often it can take shape in bullying at school or in the workplace.
Exaggerate:
I daresay that it's a subjective thing, the impact it has. You cannot be sure if it's an exaggeration, due to say paranoia, or if it is far worse than they are attributing the portion of blame to.
Positive:
Other metalheads often know that they look after each other in many ways. If somebody dies, they often give money to support the family - a recent example is the Relapse Records guy, where bands are donating releases and the money earnt to send this guy's daughter through college.
Change:
There are more people into the widest definition of the genre than ever before. This means that acceptance is more common in some way that may not have existed before as knowledge and experience was limited. Look to HIV, as education increases, so does understanding.
Blame:
Nah. It's mostly how people react to what has been done. Church burning was a reaction, however, there was no death, so arguably it's nothing compared to the things organised religion have achieved. The only way a band can shock these people is if these people hypocritically exist to be shocked in the first place.

Feel free to quote me without having it as anonymous. Email me if you want elaboration.

Hi everyone.

Before I being I would like everyone to tell me what is their personal definition of heavy metal?

To be completely honest, this question is really hard to answer. The genre covers such a large scope that I typically break it down to at least 3 different categories; traditional, black, and death. Traditional metal is about having a good time, black metal is about dark and sinister atmospheres, and death is about visceral aggression. My mood will typically reflect which aspect of the genre I would want to appreciate.

Are metalheads, in reality, really actually exposed to negativity from those who don’t like heavy metal or is it just a kind of folk law?
Aside from many metalheads being whiny bitches who think they have superior taste, yes; to a point. In my experience, most people I know cant stand the music and look at it with more disgust than many other genres they also dont listen to. Especially the more extreme metal genres. Though people with an actual appreciation for music seem to care much less than those who listen to popular music, so I would say the backlash mostly involves the casual party-goer type.

For example at most college parties ive been to people will tolerate all kinds of music, even if they dont like it. Pop of all kinds, hip-hop, alternative, rap, etc. But once in a while I would throw on a metal song on to indulge myself and a few friends and it would almost invariably be changed before the song ended. A big downside was that most girls found it repulsive since they can't dance to it, but songs were even changed at later times in the night when nobody was really dancing. And its not like I threw on something really obscure or tough to listen to like Portal or Mütiilation.

You mean the whole sex and drugs thing? In this day and age I would say no, but in the past things were much different. Id say if anything the average metalhead of is on the more nerdy side and would tend to avoid things like drugs and promiscuous sex (see bands like Dragonforce and Blind Guardian).

Music has a big impact on my life emotionally, but you can say that with anybody who appreciates music at any level.
Do metalheads sometimes, if at all, over exaggerate how much these negative opinions are launched at them?
yes.
Is there positive opinions about metalheads at times, if so where did they come from?
I dont know, im much more focused on the 'negativity' aspect of your survey :lol:

How do you feel that the general population's opinion towards heavy metal has changed from when it was first conceived until now?
Less sex and drugs and a hell of a lot more nerd.

Yes tons. But DragonForce's song being featured in Guitar Hero as the quintessential metal song in the game didn't help.

You probably wont get many good responses to this topic. Though im sure a simple google search could provide you with more information than you would need. Popular magazines like the Times occasionally does things on metal and would probably be good sources for a paper. Though it's high school so they probably dont care.

Yes. People who don't listen to metal could care less about metalheads and our music. They are misinformed and believe that we are all weird fucking idiots, when in reality they are.

Sometimes. Some metal bands try way too hard to make themselves look cool with overdone lyrics, song titles, cover-art, and personas. They make all metal bands and fans look bad.

Possibly. It doesn't affect my life, though. I just happily listen to good metal and if others don't like it, that's their fucking problem.

Do metalheads sometimes, if at all, over-exaggerate how much these negative opinions are launched at them?
Generally, no. We just state the truth.

Yes. All of these opinions come from othere metalheads, because we all have something in common by liking great metal music.

The general population's opinion towards metalheads hasn't changed at all. They still think the same way they always did.

Yes, but if I did, it would piss off people on this forum.

Hope this helps :kickass:

[/QUOTE]

Whew, lots of great words here.

I don't think it's unfair to say that metalheads as a DEMOGRAPHIC share similarities. After all, music reflects an aesthetic, and the same is true of pretty much any genre. You can tell a person who listens to a lot of rap, a lot of hippie jam band stuff, or a lot of metal frequently by outward appearance. It's not UNIVERSAL but to act like trends don't exist is just foolish.

Even within the stereotypes there are subgroups. Black metal trve kvlt dudes are way different from, say, power metal aficionados.

The "sex, drugs, violence" thing has definitely fallen by the wayside thanks to (among other things) comedians like Brian Posehn or the -core movements which have brought nerds and hipsters into the fold in comparison to back in the day. I'm creeping up toward 30, so when I was in high school the metal image was Marilyn Manson or Slipknot, horror shows that actually were in the media for scaring parents. That just isn't the case any more.

It's true, the opinion of heavy metal has drastically changed over the years. The music itself has grown louder, angrier, heavier, and more violent, but the public perception hasn't followed. The peak of "dangerous metal" was back when Judas Priest was blamed for a couple suicides, with a secondary peak in 1999 when metal was blamed for Columbine. It's just not the case any more.

Metal is more mainstream acceptable than ever. The stereotypes have shifted from Satanist goat-sacrificers and drug-using murderers to quirky nerds or odd characters.

I'm quite literally the only real metalhead in my circle of friends. Several listen to bands like Every Time I Die or All That Remains, but I'm the only one cranking Nails or Pathology, and yet no one has some weird image of me. Nor do I look particularly threatening. As metal has permeated the mainstream, more people know people who listen to it who aren't the typical "metalhead", and so the image has softened.

Yes tons. But DragonForce's song being featured in Guitar Hero as the quintessential metal song in the game didn't help.

I gotta step in. It wasn't called the "quintessential metal song", just the HARDEST one. They were responding to fans who flooded them with requests for it just because it was so insane as a guitar chart. They couldn't have put it anywhere else in the game. It had to be a bonus "top level" track like Buckethead's Jordan.

Drugs, booze, unprotected sex and wearing all black are personal choices and unless someone is getting harmed (or pregnant), no one should be placing judgement.

Outside the mosh pit, metalheads tend to be very chilled, level headed and tolerant people. I've never experienced any violence from my fellow headbangers. I always thought of the metal community as more of a brother/sisterhood. Everyone has their issues though and depression is just as rampant in heavy metal as it is everywhere else. It can't be helped. Nobody deserves to be singled out because of it.

The whole devil worshiper image is inaccurate. Very few metalheads are actually satanists and even then, it's not like they go around worshiping the devil and sacrificing babies. They're all pretty harmless.

I've had people criticize my taste in music for ignorant and stupid reasons. I don't let it get me down though. Some people tend to give me weird looks though and I've had instances where people will turn on their car alarms if I come to close. I've even had beer bottles thrown at me, but that could be for a number of reasons. I assure you though, none of them were justified.

As for the general public's opinion on metal... Back in the old days, people were easy to shock. They aren't so much anymore. Either way, Metal still doesn't get the respect that it deserves from the general public and I don't think that will ever change. But you know what? The masses think Lady Gaga has talent so what does that say to you? We don't need their approval.

Outside the mosh pit, metalheads tend to be very chilled, level headed and tolerant people. I've never experienced any violence from my fellow headbangers. I always thought of the metal community as more of a brother/sisterhood. Everyone has their issues though and depression is just as rampant in heavy metal as it is everywhere else. It can't be helped. Nobody deserves to be singled out because of it.

Totally true. All of the metalheads I know, including me, are all pretty chill cool people who totally fucking metal. Also, I think of metal as a brotherhood/sisterhood too. Kudos :kickass:

I gotta step in. It wasn't called the "quintessential metal song", just the HARDEST one. They were responding to fans who flooded them with requests for it just because it was so insane as a guitar chart. They couldn't have put it anywhere else in the game. It had to be a bonus "top level" track like Buckethead's Jordan.

But people view it as the hardest track in the game, and given that the other tracks were by bands with legendary status, it must be a band that is well respected for technical musicianship. I personally never bothered playing GH, but this is the way ive seen a lot of my brother's nerdy college friends view the band, even if they thought it was terrible. I know it's less interesting than suicides (or church burnings, band rivalry murders, now fan killing), but I think the way lots of people saw 'extreme metal' changed when they heard that song. It might be a locality/demographic thing, but I can't tell you how many people ive met that ive told I listen to metal, and they would go, "that nerdy shit like Dragonforce?".

As for the general public's opinion on metal... Back in the old days, people were easy to shock. They aren't so much anymore. Either way, Metal still doesn't get the respect that it deserves from the general public and I don't think that will ever change. But you know what? The masses think Lady Gaga has talent so what does that say to you? We don't need their approval.

The idea that their opinion is incorrect because your opinion is different is a bit hypocritical. Otherwise good point. The public is no longer shocked by metal; so the general public's viewpoint, while not being admiration must be more like disdain. And they wouldnt be totally wrong to feel that way considering the superficial lyrical content of your average modern day metal band.

Whew, lots of great words here.

I don't think it's unfair to say that metalheads as a DEMOGRAPHIC share similarities. After all, music reflects an aesthetic, and the same is true of pretty much any genre. You can tell a person who listens to a lot of rap, a lot of hippie jam band stuff, or a lot of metal frequently by outward appearance. It's not UNIVERSAL but to act like trends don't exist is just foolish.

Even within the stereotypes there are subgroups. Black metal trve kvlt dudes are way different from, say, power metal aficionados.

The "sex, drugs, violence" thing has definitely fallen by the wayside thanks to (among other things) comedians like Brian Posehn or the -core movements which have brought nerds and hipsters into the fold in comparison to back in the day. I'm creeping up toward 30, so when I was in high school the metal image was Marilyn Manson or Slipknot, horror shows that actually were in the media for scaring parents. That just isn't the case any more.

It's true, the opinion of heavy metal has drastically changed over the years. The music itself has grown louder, angrier, heavier, and more violent, but the public perception hasn't followed. The peak of "dangerous metal" was back when Judas Priest was blamed for a couple suicides, with a secondary peak in 1999 when metal was blamed for Columbine. It's just not the case any more.

Metal is more mainstream acceptable than ever. The stereotypes have shifted from Satanist goat-sacrificers and drug-using murderers to quirky nerds or odd characters.

I'm quite literally the only real metalhead in my circle of friends. Several listen to bands like Every Time I Die or All That Remains, but I'm the only one cranking Nails or Pathology, and yet no one has some weird image of me. Nor do I look particularly threatening. As metal has permeated the mainstream, more people know people who listen to it who aren't the typical "metalhead", and so the image has softened.

Nail on the head. I'm about the only metalhead among my friends. I look like the average everyday Joe that has a deskjob. I'm not into image at all I just really love metal and I think that's becoming more the case with a lot of metal fans. I mean, yeah, plenty of people still go by the "stereotypical image" not that there is anything wrong with that. Dress/look how you want. But I see more and more people at shows that don't meet this stereotype and that non-metal people would find "non-threatening".

These days, people in school think of all metal as "screamo" and/or music for "gothic" people, and people that cut themselves. People are really stupid these days.

Bands that are popular now are Bring Me The Horizon, Black Veil Brides, System Of a Down, etc.

People that haven't AT LEAST researched metal or been listening to it for a long time really have NO IDEA how vast metal is as a whole. I mean hell we got bands like Megadeth, Agalloch, Abominable Putridity, etc. All completely different on almost every level imaginable yet they are all still considered "metal"

The stereotype I see most that is complete bullshit is that all metal is just screaming with a bunch of noise in the background, and none of the singers can actually "sing" and how ironic is it that most of the people saying this listen to Lil Wayne every day?

There are stereotypes like all metalheads do drugs ( TBH this is actually mostly true, at least around here every single metalhead I've met smoked da grass ) the whole violent or satanic thing is obviously bullshit, people saying that are just dumb religious people that were brainwashed as a kid.

As SomeGuyDude said, nowadays most "metalheads" if you should even call them that, are nerdy kids that shop at hot topic and think Suicide Silence are the shit and Cannibal Corpse suck, most of them seem to be more interested in being in the "scene" then being a actual "metalhead" and most of the music they listen to sounds like pop mixed with metalcore.

I hate people that listen to nonmetal and then when trying to act like their open minded enough to actually try to listen to a metal band, all they do is point out what they don't like, for example you can't even understand the singer, or the guitars are to fast, etc. I admit I did not like death metal when I first started listening to metal ( I started with Iron Maiden and Judas Priest ) which is kinda ironic since most kids my age would of started with bands like Slipknot, Korn, Bullet for my valentine etc, but I was raised in a hard rock background, I had to get get into metal slowly, as you need to get a ear for the heavier stuff, I started liking how fast Megadeth, Sodom, Exodus etc were so I starting listening to bands like Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary and started to like them.

The idea that their opinion is incorrect because your opinion is different is a bit hypocritical. Otherwise good point. The public is no longer shocked by metal; so the general public's viewpoint, while not being admiration must be more like disdain. And they wouldnt be totally wrong to feel that way considering the superficial lyrical content of your average modern day metal band.

Perhaps but I feel that there is a line to be drawn. There's music with substance and there's disposable crap. While this idea is subjective, I wouldn't label all bands I dislike as the latter, simply because I don't think my tastes are the law. I would reserve that title for only the lowest common denominator. Essentially, all of these talentless, ego-driven, feel good pop/dance/hip hop hits that are so big these days. It's very shallow music and my point is, if that's what the masses are into, then why should we be so concerned that (insert metal band here) aren't Rolling Stone's Band of the Decade? We have our culture and they have theirs. I can't complain with that.

Well, well, well. This is proving to be much more valuable than I originally thought :D Thanks guys (I was a little disheartened after my first attempt on another forum)
Anyway I really appreciate what is going on here within the discussions and as I am not allowed to participate within the discussion (one of the rules that the wise guys from the top came up with when using a forum for researching) I need to ask you guys to discuss more about how people’s opinions/attitudes have changed towards metal. I know you have been doing that already but it needs to be zeroed in on more per-say.

I apologize for acting like a bit of a dictator here, I was raised to be polite and modest...but I’m not sure how I can word myself without sounding a little arrogant or rude :p
Cheers guys (and girls if there are any O_O) thanks for all your helpful discussions so far

I see that people are coming at this from a couple different angles, and I think both are worth talking about in your paper.* There’s, first, an old stigma about heavy metal music in and of itself.* Secondly, there’s an old stigma about the subculture around metal, and what “metalheads” are.* But both of those stigmas are gradually fading along with ignorance about the subjects, to different degrees depending on where you are.

In terms of music,*Matt, who posted above, and I are in a dark melodic metal band called*Silent*Lapse, which you can check out in his sig.* Now, it's pretty much free of screaming, but it's metal. I don't think I've ever heard a person*react negatively to me saying I'm in a metal band.* I've heard them ask if it's all screaming, because they don't like that, but no one has reacted negatively to the word " metal" itself.* To that end, a*popular locally produced, nationally syndicated concert tv series selected us to appear on their show that has traditionally been largely blues, jazz, classical, and occasionally alternative rock.* They exclusively referred to us as a “heavy metal” band.* Never rock, never progressive, never anything but “heavy metal.”* This station, meant primarily for education and cultural advancement, and consumption by the general population, completely embraced the term “heavy metal.”* No doubt we were out of their comfort zone, but from our interviews, there was a sense of genuine interest in learning about the genre. In promoting the season, “the first heavy metal band” was used every single time.* Obviously, if everyone in the general public viewed metal as an equal art form to classical music, that wouldn’t really be noteworthy enough to bother saying.* It plays on a curiosity that exists because there’s still stigma there.* But it is evidence that there is some infiltration of the “old guard” that says, “Hey, this is music, and it’s worth paying attention to.”

Then there’s the whole subculture thing.* It’s real.* If you’ve been to a local metal show at one of the more “underground” establishments, you know this.* But you also know that the whole denim/leather/tough guy macho image that most people think of is either dated, or just flat out wrong.* Sure, the music can be an outlet for rage, and lyrics can be violent. *Sure, mosh pits can be a big old release of pent up aggression.* But underlying that is something that isn’t often grasped… it’s fun.* They help each other up.* People take care of each other, and for the most part, there are rules.* Metal is too broad to apply that to everyone, with courage crews (do these still exist?) and hatemoshing and everything.* But by and large, it’s a welcoming community bound by a love for music.* People wear a lot of black.* Jeans.* Band tees.* Denim and leather?* Why not!* More tattoos than average.* More piercings and gauges than average.* But there are plenty of people who look and dress, for lack of a better term, normal.* And they are as welcome as everyone else.* The metal community rules in that sense.* I fit somewhere in between in my appearance.* Metalheads are not a bunch of hardass macho guys bent on anarchy.* For every metal tough guy, there are five nerds like me.* But the mass public doesn’t totally know that yet.* Where the stigma of the heavy metal subculture starts to fade, is with the ever-increasing exposure of hipsters and folks from other less threatening subcultures, many of whom do the same things.* Gauged ears, tattoos, beards, skinny jeans (depending on the type of metal, of course.)* Are they a metalhead?* A punk?* A Pitchfork indie disciple?* Many of the “offensive” visual traits of some of*today’s metalheads are being brought to mainstream visibility and closer to acceptance by other groups.* Metal is too diverse to lump all metalheads into, of course.* Each subgenre has different elements to their subcultures, but none of them have any kind of defined rules.

Hope this helps.

Edit: sorry about the asterisks. I don't know what they are, but I imagine it's from copying and pasting from my email.

I apologize for the unnessicary bump
But I would like to thank those who contributed to this as what you have said here is proving to be valauble in writing and completing my project. I doubt i will be using this forum again as I just do not have enough time for yet ANOTHER distraction. :p
Anyway, thanks again
Kind regards
ME!!!:devil: