musicians!

salakelmi

New Metal Member
Feb 29, 2004
Kotka
Hey, what instrument should I play? I mean, I've been playing acoustic guitar for three years now, but it doesn't feel the right instr. so what do you say? Drums, guitar, vocals, piano?

p.s. im drunk finnish dude

i play classical guitar and electric, if I had the time I'd learn piano, since most of the music I like most is on piano, predominantly from the romantic era.

try all of them and then make your decision.. unless you're like 80 and may die before you have mastered the instrument you should be able to learn any you want.. piano is nice in my opinion cause it's not very different from the guitar but still very different :p it could give you new angels and perspektiv on your guitarplaying. Drums is great if you want to be more tight and learn more about weird beats etc. Why not learn something really odd? Like accordion, cello, mouth organ, chapman stick or whatever.. bagpipe!!

Good luck! :D

-------

edit: Since you're drunk, why not start a beerdrinking band like CoB.. Then I suggest electric guitar, bass or drums is best.. unless you drink Guinness all day, then you should aim for the bagpipe! :D Take care!

I'd also concentrate on singing first and maybe then broaden your way to instruments.

how big are your hands? If they stretch well laterally play piano. If you have long fingers play guitar. Hey, if you're just picking at random may as well give yourself the advantage.

Also, do you embrace or fear the karma sutra?
If you embrace, play guitar, if you fear play the piano (then you only have to perform in one position ;))

I recommend singing for several reasons:

If you can sing well, your "instrument" is with you wherever you go. I have gigs where I just walk into the venue and get up on stage to sing. No hassle, no nothing, except the joy of performance.

I'm a really good guitar and key player, but I get WAY more gigs as a singer because, as Freyja said, good ones are hard to find. In fact, ALL of my current gigs are vocal gigs, live and studio.

Being a "front" person and singing well in front of an audience is the most satisfying musical experience of my life. Guitar players "connect" with a certain type of person (other guitar players and guitar fans). Singers "connect" with everybody. The singer is who most people are looking at at any given time. If you're a live perfromance attention whore like me, this is perfect. :D

BTW, I know a few finns here in Los Angeles, and with them, "drunk finnish" is redundant. :lol:

However, don't waste the instrumental ability that you've gained... keep at that as well. Nothing says you can't do both, and being able to play and sing at the same time is invaluable in MANY situations. A good solid grounding in instrumental music makes your value as a singer skyrocket. You know how to work with musicians because you ARE one.

Move to the US, come to Arizona, and become a drummer...My band could use one!

Nah, but seriously...Singers, Drummers, and Keyboardists are very hard to come by, especially where I live. We have a surplus of guitarists, and most of them suck more than I do (And I suck pretty bad).

Here's a few things to think about:
Do you have power in your voice?
Could you pick up on ear training quickly? if yes to both, then singing might be for you
Do you have strong legs and arms?
Do you have good hand-eye coordination? If yes to both, drums would be a good choice
Do your fingers move fairly well independently?
Could you pick up on sight reading easily? If yes, keyboard might be a good choice

Note: Those are just a few of the deciding factors you should take into consideration, anything like that which I listed could help you learn your instrument of choice much quicker. It's up to you, I personally play guitar, drums, and sing, but if you want to just stick with one, I'd say try and figure out which would best suit you. Personally, I think singing is the hardest one to decide on, in that it's tough to determine whether someone has a good singing voice based on lack of knowlege of them. If you choose singing, try either joining a choir (school, church, or otherwise), or take private lessons.

Good luck