Mutiny Within

nomisofsiman

Sep 19, 2008
Wheaton, IL
So, while I've heard of them I hadn't given Mutiny Within a listen until today when supposedly Dream Theater gave them props, and since everything Portnoy seems to recommend I like, I thought I'd give them a try.

Says John Petrucci, "I love the melodic content. Makes it really enjoyable to listen to while the technicality of the music totally contributes to the song power and makes it more interesting to me than typical metal. They should be huge!" Meanwhile DT drummer Mike Portnoy adds, "These guys are real good! They would go over amazingly well with our audience..."

I must say I was quite surprised after giving them a listen as I thought they were some average joe American metal band. They have some good players and some interesting things going on I must say, and now I'm actually looking a bit more forward to the Sonata Arctica show coming up in a month as they are one of the openers. What do you guys think of them?

hahaha, i love it. Roadrunner had DT members say something about this band specifically so people would go buy it. great strategy on Roadrunner's part considering this post. ;)

it's mediocre at best, honestly. sure it sounds amazing, but once you delve past it's production merits it's nothing terribly special IMO.

Dream Theater guys vouching for it for sure is good marketing, but, I doubt they would do that unless they truly liked it.

That said, I am digging this one as well!

Video for anyone interested:

Last edited:
Dream Theater guys vouching for it for sure is good marketing, but, I doubt they would do that unless they truly liked it.

That said, I am digging this one as well!

Video for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PS8t9jrccU

Yeah I doubt they would vouch for anyone just because Roadrunner tells them to. With that said, I just like it because it sounds different than most of the mainstream metal out there. The musicianship is actually quite good. However, I wouldn't say they're reinventing the wheel or anything.

I've got the album, at first I was way excited because the above song is really cool, but it's not sticking with me. I've listened 4-5 times all the way through, and it's cool during, but I can't remember a single hook. Strange.

Gonna review this album for MetalAsylum.net later this week. I'll check back in with this post and let you guys know my initial thoughts sometime tomorrow. So far I loved the Roadrunner rookies Taking Dawn with their debut this year so I hope this is good too.

That is a bit naive i would say. Sure they can plug it because they "might" like it, but whenever do you really see them go out on a limb and promote other bands?! besides the ones they take on tour or cover on the bonus cds?

so it just so "happens" that one of the first bands they come out and voice opinions on is one of their label mates?!

coincidence? i don't think so.
again, IMO.
matt

That is a bit naive i would say. Sure they can plug it because they "might" like it, but whenever do you really see them go out on a limb and promote other bands?! besides the ones they take on tour or cover on the bonus cds?

so it just so "happens" that one of the first bands they come out and voice opinions on is one of their label mates?!

coincidence? i don't think so.
again, IMO.
matt

Are you kidding me? Portnoy constantly is promoting new bands he gets into and not just the bands he puts on tour. This is especially the case when every year he does a top 10 list and at least half that list I have never heard of and/or they've never been on tour with him.

I picked this CD up today. It is very generic, whatever-core sounding stuff. Not at all worth the hype.

Why'd you have to remind me I posted this? I have NO idea what the hell I was thinking the first time listening to them, because the second time and when I've seen them in concert I've hated them. Very generic indeed.