my band Daylight Dies announces our new record

The vast majority of the acoustics were done with a santa cruz tony rice model owned by the studio. He was mic'd with a single josephson c617 which is omni which is why you hear him breathing some on ghosting. That went through an api and a purple mc76. Some of the acoustic over heavy parts were done at my place with a taylor 314 into a 451 into a great river.

Luckily I can let Jens deal with most of that but alot of it comes from high passing and compression. For me at least In Abstetia has the gold standard acoustics over heavy tone even though they don't use it that way. The purple was working pretty hard in the studio and the stuff I tracked at home was a bright guitar into a bright mic into a bright preamp. They can fight with cymbals a little but it's workable.

Amazing record. I saw Jeff post the video for "Dreaming of Breathing", checked it out and immediately got the CD (arrived a few days ago).
Love pretty much everything about it, production is awesome, too. Any chance you'd post one mix of the material done by yourself? :D

The only thing I noticed was the album design looks a bit outdated but perhaps that's what you wanted?
Especially the back has weird stuff going on, it almost looks like a 3D picture because there are red and blue "copies" of the texts very near to the original.

Amazing record. I saw Jeff post the video for "Dreaming of Breathing", checked it out and immediately got the CD (arrived a few days ago).
Love pretty much everything about it, production is awesome, too. Any chance you'd post one mix of the material done by yourself? :D

The only thing I noticed was the album design looks a bit outdated but perhaps that's what you wanted?
Especially the back has weird stuff going on, it almost looks like a 3D picture because there are red and blue "copies" of the texts very near to the original.

Thanks. The layout doesn't seem outdated to me but I'm old. It does sound like your copy of the disc has a misprinted layout. The 3D thing is from a plate shift during the printing process. It should look like this:
Screen%20Shot%202012-07-04%20at%201.10.34%20PM.png

Just grabbed this from Bandcamp as I'd much, much rather download in 16/44 (and the fact that you can also grab 320 kbps for the iPod).

Really enjoying it so far - as others have said, great songs and sounds huge.

Revisiting this thread a few months back.
Hey Egan, I feel that this might not be a question for you (since you didn't mix the record), but I'm still gonna ask it anyway :)
I really like that drum setup of yours visually (both drum kit and mic setup), seems really well balanced.

I see that you used XY for Close OH and AB for Wide.
How much of Close OH there is in the mix (judging buy the pics, they were more meant to be used as spot mics for those 2 crashes the mics point at, and splashes in between)? Were faders ridden by hand where those cymbals were used, or were they left on all the time? (I take it you set Close OH mics up while Wide's were on, to make sure their phase relationship is good, but still)
Did mics pick up those 2 splashes well?

A couple of more tracking pics wouldn't hurt, so feel free to post them if you still have them :)
I have a session coming up, gonna use a similar drum kit to yours, so any info could prove useful!
Thanks

I'm honestly not sure. It sounds to me like he mostly used the wides. They sounded pretty great but I like getting up close on cymbals too and having a pair on jesse's kit right on that 4 pack of crash/splashes works pretty well. We spent a couple of hours getting the phase worked out on things since we used such a crazy number of mics. We also worked to get it so everything would coexist and could come up/and down without sounding super obvious or mucking up another element of the kit.
I have a ton of pics.
423489_318031251559129_1072987729_n.jpg

431460_318048398224081_1553091343_n.jpg

297300_10150332603665059_1396422460_n.jpg

417016_10150489335650059_525819021_n.jpg

We spent a couple of hours getting the phase worked out on things since we used such a crazy number of mics. We also worked to get it so everything would coexist and could come up/and down without sounding super obvious or mucking up another element of the kit.

That's what I figured.
Thanks for your response and additional session pics!
As far as that ton of pics go, if you are willing to share them, feel free to shoot me a pm :)

found this thread much to late. Egan this record is my favourite record of 2012! One of the nicest productions i´ve ever heard!
I remember days...i listened to the Sologuitar on "Ghosting" maybe for more than an hour, this one has sooo much feelings! Thanks for that!
Can you tell me what effect is on the cleanguitar of "A final vestige"? Sounds like a kind of modulated delay...but can you tell me?

Cheerz
Lars

Thanks for the kind words. That intro clean tone was kind of special. Barre had recorded the demo for that by plugging his guitar directly into an alesis nanoverb or some other cheap fx unit that had since broken. It was washed out and sort of weird but also had a cool vibe to it. I did my best to recreate it (and solve the problems) using podfarm.
1378633_684400488255535_882286580_n.jpg

It's all double tracked as well. I believe we did that one with an ESP with a single in the neck.
The other cleans in the song were pushed through a fender blues deluxe and mic'd with a 57.