My band Kwato : real roomy/natural drums

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
Just to share a bit about one of my bands. We are currently recording two new tracks. I recorded the drums in july (me playing), we are about to record the guitars right now (I think Peavey 5150+Framus Cobra). I did a premix of the drums using a guitar test we recorded a few weeks ago as a "reference".

What I used :
My drumkit (Pearl Reference + SJC Custom maple snare drum). We recorded in a big room near to our rehearsal place.

We used the following :
414 ULS as OH into Pacifica pre.
SM57 on top snare into API pre.
Oktava MK012 under the ride cymbal into Purple Audio pre (spot mic).
Beyer M88 in the kick drum into API pre.
SM7 on the hats into Vintech X81 pre.
Beta98s on toms into Mindprint DTC/API pres.
Royer R121 + 414 XLII as room mics into API pres.

Sounds quite good to me, very roomy, overall a bit dark because of the 414 ULS, remember it's a drum preview before we rec the guitars. Nothing definitive but it will be easier then, when searching the guitar sound.
Kick is the M88 EQed and compressed, with a tiny bit of a sample mixed in for clear attack.
Snare is totally natural, EQ, verb and compression. I like the dynamics on it and I'd like to keep it.
Toms (are a bit loud) ; touch of EQ.
Rooms are compressed and EQed.
Hihat has its lows filtered, and so for the ride cymbal.
OHs have the lows filtered out + a little boost in the 11 khz area.
All done in Digital Performer with only Metric Halo Channelstrip plugin (even on the guitars but it's a bit harsh).

Guitars you're hearing are LTD EC-1000 into 5150 with OD-820, Mesa oversized miced with a 57 into Vintech pre. They sound a bit thin (removed a lot of meat from them/compressed the low mids with C3 multiband to make room for the bass).

Here's the link

Sounds great to me, dude! I even dig the guitar tone a lot. The whole thing sounds very natural!

How do you like the Beyer M88 as compared to an Audix D6 (if you've ever tried one) on kick?

Thanks !

The Beyer sounds a lot more natural than the D6 (I own both), they are very different mics. The M88 sounds very tight, which is amazing for metal tones, but you have to scoop the mids à lot to get it right in the mix. Once scooped, it has a nice natural attack in the 4-8 khz area. This mic works well when you need a natural/fat kick sound.
The D6 is kind of pre-EQed but sounds great also, more "metal". I really like this one depending on the kind of sound you need.

The guitars are a bit overgained, we will be using a Gibson SG (no LTD) to record the real guitars, différent tone but great too, i'll post the results :headbang:

I have a brand new hardware SSL stereo compressor, I will be processing the drum bus through this beast. It's so good for this application, can't wait to do that :kickass:

Dude! That sounds fucking awesome. I totally dig the drumsound, snare sounds awesome with that amount of room blend in and the toms sound super "creamy" (i don't know if that's a form of description, but that's the first thing that slipped my mind ;)) Guitarsound is pretty awesome too