My band's Summer tour

Revson

Sep 22, 2010
Orlando, FL
www.villainproductions.com
Hey guys, my band (Quarter The Villain)is planning out a two week tour this summer and I was wondering if anyone in any of the cities we're going to would care to offer assistance in booking or sharing the stage. Anywho, here are the tentative dates:

7/22 - Jacksonville, FL
7/23 - Atlanta, GA
7/24 - Nashville, TN
7/25 - Cape Girardeau, MO
7/26 - St. Louis, MO
7/27 - Kansas City, MO
7/28 - Oklahoma City, OK
7/29 - Dallas, TX
7/30 - San Antonio, TX
7/31 - Houston or Austin, TX
8/1 - Shreveport, LA
8/3 - Indianapolis, IN
8/4 - Pittsburgh, PA
8/5 - Philadelphia, PA
8/6 - Washington, DC (or somewhere in the Carolinas)

Nashville, St. Louis, and San Antonio are either booked or just shy of confirmation and I know the other guys are doing their thing contacting bands and venues, but since this is a metal community I thought I'd try my luck here. I think Kansas City, Oklahoma, Houston/Austin, and Indianapolis are going to be our biggest trouble spots, but if you have any suggestions or whatever for any other city please post it. Thanks in advance guys.

You are booking a July tour in May? That's 3 months too late. Don't wanna sound negative, but you'll need a lot of luck to get shows 2 months before the beginning of the tour ...

A good timeframe for booking is 7-8 months before the tour. Then have it solidified 3 months before the tour so you can promote it properly. I already knew the dates for my April 2011 US tour in December 2010 and I knew my summer festival dates for this year in October 2010. It's just how things work. You gotta plan way in advance!

Question: how did you come up with some of the cities like Cape Girardeau, MO or Shreveport, LA?

You are booking a July tour in May? That's 3 months too late. Don't wanna sound negative, but you'll need a lot of luck to get shows 2 months before the beginning of the tour ...

A good timeframe for booking is 7-8 months before the tour. Then have it solidified 3 months before the tour so you can promote it properly. I already knew the dates for my April 2011 US tour in December 2010 and I knew my summer festival dates for this year in October 2010. It's just how things work. You gotta plan way in advance!

Question: how did you come up with some of the cities like Cape Girardeau, MO or Shreveport, LA?

Try booking a tour as an unknown band at small unknownvenues. most places won't book 2-3 months out.

We tried booking 7 months out last year and 90% of the venues said to get back to them 2-3 months before the date we wanted to play. This also helps in dealing with the local bands because a lot can happen in 7 months.

Cape Girardeau was chosen because it's my hometown and we were planning on stopping there for a night as it was so we figured we might as well try to get a show. Shreveport was chosen because we have a lot of friends there from a previous tour, one if whom was the drummer for Vital Remains for the last year or two and now he hosts a weekly metal show there.

We tried booking 7 months out last year and 90% of the venues said to get back to them 2-3 months before the date we wanted to play. This also helps in dealing with the local bands because a lot can happen in 7 months.

Cape Girardeau was chosen because it's my hometown and we were planning on stopping there for a night as it was so we figured we might as well try to get a show. Shreveport was chosen because we have a lot of friends there from a previous tour, one if whom was the drummer for Vital Remains for the last year or two and now he hosts a weekly metal show there.

Dude we had the most troubles booking 2-3 months out. none of this small venues want to book that far out at all

Dude we had the most troubles booking 2-3 months out. none of this small venues want to book that far out at all

I think we're mostly contacting bands right now though, so when we do contact a venue we can say "Hey, we have 3 locals ready to go. Here's the date we want." That and the locals know the decent places to play in their cities.

Try Hoyt with Pathfinder Promotions in Atlanta, tell him I referred you guys...

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll get on it.

I think we're mostly contacting bands right now though, so when we do contact a venue we can say "Hey, we have 3 locals ready to go. Here's the date we want." That and the locals know the decent places to play in their cities.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll get on it.

It's been that way and contacting venues and them recommending bands for us.

You know its weird, as a small band, those small obscure cities with shitty venues tend to always be the best shows :eek:

It's been that way and contacting venues and them recommending bands for us.

You know its weird, as a small band, those small obscure cities with shitty venues tend to always be the best shows :eek:

Absolutely! We played a show in Hattiesburg, MS on our first tour and it turned out to be the biggest show of the tour simply because nothing ever comes through there and people are bored as hell. I think it was a Wednesday night too.