TSO Spring 2010 tour dates

Let us know how you like the show. I'm seeing them in DC on 4/11. :headbang::kickass:

I seriously considered going to this show myself, but just can't justify a 7 hour drive! I'm still pissed that they're not playing at least Atlanta and Nashville. That's totally uncalled for, especially the money that O'Neill has raked in over the years from the winter tours.

~Brian~

I seriously considered going to this show myself, but just can't justify a 7 hour drive! I'm still pissed that they're not playing at least Atlanta and Nashville. That's totally uncalled for, especially the money that O'Neill has raked in over the years from the winter tours.

~Brian~

Wow. Sorry to hear that, Brian. I know how big a fan you are of all the Savatage-ish bands.

Just got my ticket today for the show. Seems I had my days mixed up - work function is today and show is next Friday.

Quite excited.

:)

Is there an opening act, or is it just TSO?

As far as I know, just TSO.

Yep, "just" TSO -- although I don't think you will feel shortchanged! :)

Loved, loved, loved the NYC show at Radio City Music Hall! The staging and special effects have been seriously scaled back, but I didn't miss them at all. I've also heard some complaints that the narration took up too much time. But if you love a great Rock Opera, you won't be disappointed!

Great performances from everyone...special mention to JSS who looked and sounded positively EVIL as Mephistopheles!

And DAMN, I love NYC!

Full review I wrote of the Wilkes Barre show:

First I should say that I had very, very high expectations for this show. This was essentially the one thing I had been waiting for as a fan of TSO - that one day they would take the shows back to the more intimate setting of theaters, where they started - and give the Beethoven's last Night album (my favorite of theirs) the proper staging it deserved. Now that being said, I had my huge reservations due to the fact that I think Paul O'Neill (the "boss" of TSO) has a habit of taking virtually every good thing and fucking it up - not to mention none of the album's original vocalists would be doing the tour - especially Jon Oliva and Zak Stevens. Nevertheless, I was prepared to have a good time.

We got to the FM Kirby Center around quarter of 7pm, and had surprisingly absolutely no issues with the Paperless Ticketing system, which seemed to work very smoothly. We waited in the lobby until about 7:20, when we made our way down to our seats which were 5th row, on the right side of the left-center section. I was pretty surprised at how great the seats actually were. Around 8pm Chris Caffery came out to present a check to the Red Cross, and about 10 minutes later, the show was under way.

The show began with a fairly "cold" start, not much in the way of intro music or ambiance - the lights dimmed, the opening notes of the "Overture" started up, and everyone walked out. The next 2 hours solid consisted of the entire Beethoven's last Night album. Now, rather than give a very lengthy track-by-track, I'll simply hit my highlights and criticisms:
First of all, every track with the mighty Rob Evan (Beethoven) was incredible. I've been a huge fan of his voice for a long time, and he is just amazing. Absolutely perfect pitch, and his delivery was excellent - with his Broadway experience giving him the perfect dramatic touch. Moreso than anyone else, you truly felt he WAS the character. And he pointed at me in "This is Who You Are" which was just great.
Other very strong points: Jay Pierce did a great job as "Twist", nearly perfectly matching the performance on the CD, which I was not expecting. John Brink (Young Beethoven) was probably the best surprise performance of the show, it's a damn shame this guy (kid, practically, he is no older than his early 20s) only got one song ("Vienna") because he really ruled. Perfect performance, perfect delivery. The audience loved him. Jeff Scott Soto did a fine job with the Jon Oliva tunes, and had a very devil-ish charm to him. The chorus of "Mephistopheles" was amazingly epic. Also, props to him for really matching Jon note-for-note (and laugh-for-laugh) on "Misery".
Instrumentally I really can't fault the show at all except for a few very specific points. First, I've always been bothered by how they castrate some of the material by dramatically slowing it down. The songs are fine the way they are, they don't need to lose 15bpms. It's not annoying at all on some songs but on others it's a massive annoyance. Also, "Misery" tended to sound somewhat... watered down. The devilish aggression of the song was somewhat lost to more of a "Creeping", laid back feel. Aside from that, no complaints about the band, everyone played really well. Instrumental highlights were Mozart and Madness, A last Illusion, Beethoven, and the instrumental section of "The Dark", during which I truly felt as though I was witnessing a late 90's Savatage performance. Al Pitrelli absolutely ruled that solo.
Now, onto some of my more legit complaints. First of all, the stupid whorey dancing needs to die. All of it. Now, I am a straight male, I don't fundamentally hate women dancing - but I do when it completely obstructs the mood and feeling of the story, and seems completely forced just to "sex" up the show. When the girls decided to come out in the second half f "After the Fall", I had a complete facepalm moment, it just killed the vibe. Other than that it was basically completely confined to instrumentals, mostly the ones in the "encore". I am not too hot on the decision to make "The Dark" sung by a girl in stead of Zak Stevens, but I understand the decision to want to represent "Muses" with a girl instead of a guy - and it was a solid performance by Valentina Porter, though outshined by her performance on "A Final Dream". The role of Theresa was taken on by TSO newcomer Chloe lowery, who was a bit of a mixed bag. Overall all her performances were solid, but they weren't stunning, and her dress was cut a bit too provocatively, making it somewhat hard to concentrate on the "right" things. "Dreams of Candlelight" was her weak point, but the other two were quite good. I'm not convinced they couldn't have found someone better, but it wasn't a bad decision.
Finally, we have "Believe". I have been fundamentally against the decision for TSO to play and rerecorded this song, and that hasn't changed. I particularly have voiced my disapproval of vocalist Tim Hockenberry's very processed, psuedo-dramatic vocals, and that too hasn't changed. However, the song still retained quite a bit of its power in the live element. It didn't bring me to tears as it did when Jon Oliva (and his "Pain") performed it, but it was still very much "alive", especially when seeing Caffery and Pitrelli play the duel solo together. I sang every word, Oliva-isms included, and it still managed to be a great aspect of the show on the whole, even with my negative points about it.

So, that about does it for the show. Oh yes, Jeff Plate threw me a drumstick, which was super cool of him. We waited in the signing line after the show, actually specifically til the very end, so we wouldn't be rushed through it so much. The performers were a mixed bag, but most of the ones I was specifically looking to meet were very cool. Most of. Unfortunately one of the most highly anticipated, Al Pitrelli, was a dick. And not very subtle about it either. He signed my 3 booklets I brought for him, but I didn't even dare ask for a picture, because he was just so incredibly cold and downright rude. I was pretty put off by it, and it was probably the rudest I've ever been treated by a member of a band I was looking forward to meeting. Thankfully everyone else made up for it. This was the first time I had seen Caffery since playing two shows with him last September, and he was really nice and really cool, seemed happy to see me again. Johnny lee Middleton was super-cool, and apparently already knew who I was thanks to Facebook, as did Rob Evan, who was probably the coolest of the whole bunch. He was very inquisitive about whether or not the show lived up to my expectations and what I specifically thought of his performance. Probably one of the coolest and nicest people I've ever met.

After loitering in the lobby for a while, we hit the road around midnight, and got home around 1:30. All in all, a very very good show. Was it amazing? No. Was it great? Yes. Would I go again? Definitely.

Set list:
01.Overture
02.Midnight
03.Fate
04.What Good This Deafness?
05.Mephistopheles
06.What is Eternal
07.Mozart and Madness (Savatage)
08.The Moment
09.Vienna
10.Mozart
11.The Dreams of Candlelight
12.Requiem (The Fifth)
13.I'll Keep Your Secrets
14.The Dark
15.Fur Elise
16.After the Fall
17.A last Illusion
18.This Is Who You Are
19.Beethoven
20.Mephistopheles' Return
21.Misery
22.Who is this Child?
23.A Final Dream
Encore:
24.Toccata - Carpimus Noctem
25.Believe (Savatage)
26.Prelude to Madness / The Mountain
27.Finale

Nice review! Looking forward to the Chicago show on Saturday!
I agree with your stance on "Believe". IMO, there is only one person who should sing that song and that is Jon Oliva.
That sucks that Pitrelli was a dick. That is why I don't go out of my way to meet musicians....especially right after a show. Sure it's in their best interest to be nice to the fans for record sales and continued support and all that, but they're probably tired and if on tour, most likely have to be somewhere in less than 24 hours. But then again, they chose the career.
But if I were to meet one of my favorite musicians and they were rude to me, I'd most likely take it personally and that would suck. Ha!

DTJeff, great review man! I'm sorry to hear about the disappointing interaction with Al Pitrelli. I've never met him myself, but the rest of the Savatage guys have been very nice people to meet. Chris Caffery is always very gracious to his fans! I've met Zak Stevens several times too and he's always been very down to earth and cool. :kickass:

~Brian~

Nice review! Looking forward to the Chicago show on Saturday!
I agree with your stance on "Believe". IMO, there is only one person who should sing that song and that is Jon Oliva.
That sucks that Pitrelli was a dick. That is why I don't go out of my way to meet musicians....especially right after a show. Sure it's in their best interest to be nice to the fans for record sales and continued support and all that, but they're probably tired and if on tour, most likely have to be somewhere in less than 24 hours. But then again, they chose the career.
But if I were to meet one of my favorite musicians and they were rude to me, I'd most likely take it personally and that would suck. Ha!

I too am looking forward to the Chicago show. Probably my most anticipated show of the year, outside of Progpower of course.

As far as meeting band members go, I agree in not trying your damnest to meet them after the show. Usually I would imagine they're tired and want to be left alone. The only time I will meet a band is A. If somehow I run into them before the show, i.e. HOB lobby which happens pretty frequently actually or B. It's like an autograph session or something like at Progpower.

I went to the TSO show last night in DC and I got to say that it was great. Personally, I think all the vocalists did a good job, either equaling or surpassing what was done on the album. Personally, I never cared for the guy who did Beethoven on the album, but the guy doing it live was amazing.

I agree with DTJeff that the dancing was kinda silly. It wasn't even great dancing. But, I suspect that came around because they wanted to give the women more of a role in the show than they'd normally have (like having "The Dark" sung by a woman). I mean, for a couple of the women, the only role they would have had was to sing the two lines in "The Fifth".

Unlike DTJeff, I don't have a problem with Hockenberry singing "Believe". His version is growing on me a bit, and it does spread around a great song to an audience that wouldn't normally know about it. Interesting in the program that they list the song as also being a part of a "rock opera" of Gutter Ballet. I hadn't heard anything about that...

Edit: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.Net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=136150

Interesting. I do recommend getting the program, which has lots of great Hildebrandt art and the lyrics to all the songs.

Anyways, before the show, I saw SkiBumMSP as I was going to my seat. After the show I talked to him for a bit before I needed to take off.

As far as meeting band members go, I agree in not trying your damnest to meet them after the show. Usually I would imagine they're tired and want to be left alone. The only time I will meet a band is A. If somehow I run into them before the show, i.e. HOB lobby which happens pretty frequently actually or B. It's like an autograph session or something like at Progpower.

There was a signing after the show.

I went to the TSO show last night in DC and I got to say that it was great. Personally, I think all the vocalists did a good job, either equaling or surpassing what was done on the album. Personally, I never cared for the guy who did Beethoven on the album, but the guy doing it live was amazing.

Anyways, before the show, I saw SkiBumMSP as I was going to my seat. After the show I talked to him for a bit before I needed to take off.

Both SkiBumMSP and I were at the show last night. I didn't see you, were you at the signing afterwards? (I skipped it cuz it was too much of a CF. I waited for Steve outside.)

I agree it was very good. I didn't care very much for BLN until I saw it live last night. The dancing was a distraction IMHO, but the overall show was spectactular.

I'm not a big fan of Hockenberry singing "Believe" myself. I just don't think he's that great of a singer. His voice is way too raspy for my taste.

I do like the fact they try to bring a little bit of Savatage to their show. At some shows (not this particular one) they do mention their Savatage roots.

But overall I'm glad I attended. Looking forward to seeing them again for the winter tour.

:headbang::kickass:

For those who made a comment about "going out of your way to try to meet people", I don't. TSO does a free signing line after the shows.

Ah. I'll keep that in mind in terms of Saturday. With that being said, that's being especially assholish if he wasn't that nice to you if they're willing to do an autograph session.

I agree with DTJeff that the dancing was kinda silly. It wasn't even great dancing. But, I suspect that came around because they wanted to give the women more of a role in the show than they'd normally have (like having "The Dark" sung by a woman). I mean, for a couple of the women, the only role they would have had was to sing the two lines in "The Fifth".

Unlike DTJeff, I don't have a problem with Hockenberry singing "Believe". His version is growing on me a bit, and it does spread around a great song to an audience that wouldn't normally know about it. Interesting in the program that they list the song as also being a part of a "rock opera" of Gutter Ballet. I hadn't heard anything about that...

Edit: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.Net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=136150

I also have to agree with you. DTJeff did sum it up pretty much how it was. It was an awesome show in my opinion and enjoyed every bit of it. I also have to say sorry to DTJeff about Al Pitrelli. He seemed pretty cool to me, though when I briefly chatted with him. Chris did remember me from previous times seeing him, including when I saw him with Doro at Jaxx a couple summers ago. I guess I am also not as bothered about the whole "Believe" thing. Granted, it is certainly not a Jon Olivia performance, but still a beautifully, and power enough performance that I saw last night.

There was a signing after the show.

Yeah, that was cool seeing you last night. Just before seeing you, I actually made a comment to Dave wondering if I'll see anybody I know, such as from Jaxx shows and what not. Are you going to Jaxx for Sonata Arctica on May 2nd?

Overall, It was a very well done show. Not quite as over-the-top as the X-mas shows seem to be getting. Personally, I'd love if they would re-format the X-mas show, as, admittedly, it is getting a bit old. Maybe, it was just so refreshing to see TSO perform something different, and BLN is also my favorite of the TSO albums.

Also, to add - as an aside. Ironically, Saturday night, I was actually at the symphony (at the Strathmore music hall in Bethesda) watching a performance of - get this - Beethoven's 7th Symphony by the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra! Go figure that I see an actual Beethoven performance, only the next night to go see a rock opera about Beethoven. I guess I am getting pretty Beethoven'ed out by the end of this weekend!

Yeah, that was cool seeing you last night. Just before seeing you, I actually made a comment to Dave wondering if I'll see anybody I know, such as from Jaxx shows and what not. Are you going to Jaxx for Sonata Arctica on May 2nd?

Dave telling me about it was the first I had heard about the show. I'll consider it, tho I'm not really interested in any other the other bands.

Overall, It was a very well done show. Not quite as over-the-top as the X-mas shows seem to be getting. Personally, I'd love if they would re-format the X-mas show, as, admittedly, it is getting a bit old. Maybe, it was just so refreshing to see TSO perform something different, and BLN is also my favorite of the TSO albums.

There is a reason why I haven't gone in years.

Also, to add - as an aside. Ironically, Saturday night, I was actually at the symphony (at the Strathmore music hall in Bethesda) watching a performance of - get this - Beethoven's 7th Symphony by the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra! Go figure that I see an actual Beethoven performance, only the next night to go see a rock opera about Beethoven. I guess I am getting pretty Beethoven'ed out by the end of this weekend!

Unfortunately, Beethoven's 7th has been completely spoiled for me because of the movie Zardoz. I have to scrub my brain afterwards.