My boss and me...part 972.

jangoux

May 9, 2006
So,

I've posted a couple threads telling me how much sometimes i hate my boss. For those that dont know, i work at a pro studio where i mostly record stuff i hate - reggae, brazilian music (not the good ones...), pagode (something like a emo version of samba), etc. My boss is a cool guy, but sometimes well, he can be an asshole. Besides the fact that he doesn't pay well (he even lets some clients bring the work home without paying...), lately i've been dealing with him wanting me to use all the gear the bought all the time. A tube EQ, a Hedd thing, and the dammed Alesis Masterlink.

For those that dont know, the Alesis Masterlink is a cd recorded built like, 10 years ago, when nobody had quick CD recorders and quality plug ins wheren't common at all like today. So, someone told him that if his tech (me) recorded the CDs on this thing, it would sound better. Now, I've learned my whole life that if you send some digital data DIGITALLY (through a spdif cable) the data will be equal at both ends of the cable. I mean, a 1 will be 1 and a 0 will be 0, UNLIKE if i sent the data through a regular cable, where some loss would be expected due to the cable capacitance, etc. Am i wrong ? And besides this, i really believe todays plug ins (limiters, compressors and dithers) are really nice and there's no reason a DSP thing built like 10 years ago should sound any better.

So, the thing is...Yesterday we had a discussion due to this. I refused to use this thing for a CD just because it would take TWO extra hours - without paying me - for me to do this. One for listening the whole CD as it would be transfered to this thing, and one for recording the CD, as the masterlink is a 1X recorder (!!!!!).

Well, i know he's my boss, but crap, his ears are as good as my ass listening to britney spears. He doesnt know anything about recording, he just loves having a studio, having the gear, etc. I think if he hired me he should believe i know my shit, instead of telling me to use this or that equipment without even considering what might be good for each job.

He's a bit pissed with me right now due to this. He also refused to deliver the CD to our client because he tought it wasnt up to our standard WITHOUT EVEN LISTENING TO THE THING, but just because i didnt use all the gear we had. No client complained so far about anything i did, and so far we got nothing but thumbs up for the thing i recorded/mixed so far.

If I had a better oportunity for a job, i'd quit this one in a sec, but being father of one kid, and one more due in february, i cannot afford such a thing. Dealing with this kind of stuff is really, really difficult. When those things happen i really regret leaving college early. Some of my colleagues are earning now like 5 times i earn, and some are even working overseas right now. Oh well...

Nah, i need the money. Freelancing here is paid worse than a maid. Just ` sharing` i hate that alesis mastercrap.

Tell him you used it and that he's right it does sound better and you can't wait to use it on every other project. Then never use it and he won't ever know.

+10

simple, effective...

if he's as clueless as you say, theres no way he's gonna know unless he asks you to prove it by showing him how you did it... so as a backup, have it looking like its connected so you can quickly bang off a copy when needed, and just do what you normally do and tell him what he wants to hear...

So, the thing is...Yesterday we had a discussion due to this. I refused to use this thing for a CD just because it would take TWO extra hours - without paying me - for me to do this. One for listening the whole CD as it would be transfered to this thing, and one for recording the CD, as the masterlink is a 1X recorder (!!!!!).

Pay rise/ by the hour.