Would you guys be mad if your boss...

NickL

I'm not here.
Jan 31, 2007
Illinois
Cut most of your hours without notice and hired someone else after five years of service with very few issues? I don't want to create a one-sided argument, but the facts are:

1. I was given no advance notice. Just told my hours are cut.
2. The new guy being hired is a friend of the boss
3. My taxes are due soon and my job doesn't take taxes out of my checks, I have to pay it all myself.

Number three is making it hard for me to be objective so I'm curious for a few opinions on how to handle the situation. The way my boss sees it I should understand that his friend needs work and roll over, and I don't get upset easily but I'm almost inclined to up and quit immediately.

On my country this is against the law. Why dont you consult a labor attorney?

As loren said, we don't have any sort of regulations for these sorts of things in the states. I think the best thing I can do is keep the conflict from escalating until I get another job offer. Thoughts?

What do you mean they aren't taking out taxes? Legally they have to at least collect FICA. If they're doing that they should be able to withhold federal taxes as well. If they are 1099'ing you I suggest you read this.

As to the situation, I would simply explain myself to my boss. Do it as diplomatically and politely as you can but do it. If he's nonresponsive look for another job....and possibly report him to the IRS (but DO NOT threaten this).