USA'ers - what do you use for filing tax returns?

Terminus

Apr 19, 2009
Up until now I had been using TurboTax but last year my taxes were more complicated so I went to H&R Block and they did them for me. This year it's pretty easy cut & dried so I was going to save some moolah and do it myself using an online service (free for federal returns) and while TurboTax hasn't done me any wrong in the past I was wondering if any of you guys know of a better one. I found one called TaxACT that seems legit but i don't want to throw my social security number around to any scammers and maybe you guys use one that you can vouch for?

I would say you can't go wrong with turbotax. I wouldn't trust any other sites. The local H&R block for me is a bunch of elderly women who don't even know how to use the computers unfortunately, I went there last year and it was a mess and I had to fix a whole bunch of shit that took weeks.

I use an accountant. It's expensive but I have peace of mind. I've also used HR block's online thing too and I believe they make it easy to go transfer or upgrade to a real accountant if you get in over your head.

I have my friend, who's an accountant, come over and file my shit via turbotax. I buy him some brews and he saves me money! It's a win-win.

tax slayer up till this year, but only because things became more complicated (house, baby, etc...).

tax slayer was fine and a lot cheaper than turbo tax. Turbo tax pissed me off because if you accidentally added a service (which they asked you to do way to much while prepping your taxes) they tagged on even more money and you couldn't go back on it.

I hate that, just let me put my shit in and go.

Well I ended up using the TaxACT site and it seems legit, it's even listed on wikipedia. Somehow I got more back than ever before, which is kick ass, didn't see that coming.I had to use H&R Block last year since my previous employer is a crackhead (not even joking, dude is a coke head- that business went under due to mismanagement :lol:) and wouldn't send my W2 to me even after I asked, so I had to call the IRS and get an estimated form sent, which made it too hard for me to just e-file it.

I use an accountant. It's expensive but I have piece of mind. I've also used HR block's online thing too and I believe they make it easy to go transfer to talk to or upgrade to a real accountant if you get in over your head.

:tickled: Been listening to some Maiden eh?

Iron_Maiden-Piece_Of_Mind-Frontal.jpg

Of course. So is a Metallica font, a Megadeth font, and an Anthrax font. :lol: It took about 3 minutes though, not 1000 hours.

Accountant! Taxes in the US are so jacked up that there is no way for a self employed person like myself to really know what the fuck is going on haha. And NEVER use H&R block, I made that mistake for the first two years of being 100% music related income and had to refile those 2 years. I ended up getting thousands back for each year due to how horribly they did things. I know many that have made the same mistake