"My Domain..." An Instant Classic?

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I love the whole UNIVERSAL album. It challenges the listener. After the folk goodness of ORIGIN, the band has returned to heavy, and have made complex songs for people to wrap their heads around after a few listens.

However, the one track that seemed to fill me with that Borknagar-y feeling was the final track, "My Domain," featuring a brief return from I.C.S Vortex. Very epic and grand. A beutiful track that hits you immediately.

I think it's an instant classic. One of Borknagar's great tracks among their MANY great tracks.

What do you think?

I have to agree, that this song was the first that I loved immediately, didn't take any repeated plays for me to get into it. But I also feel it is the simplest song on the album, but doesn't fail to produce that 'epic' feeling.

I agree. My Domain rocks.

But... Fleshflower was my favorite on the album. I think it's the most interesting track.

It's still good that there's two tracks that really, really stand out. Abrasion Tide is one of my favorites too; I just don't find myself listening to it over and over like Fleshflower.

i wouldn't go that far, but my domain is a damn good track. i also like fleshflower and abrasion tide quite a bit.

I think he meant in general style - My Domain has a lot of similar compositional elements as Ocean's Rise and Colossus, not to mention they all share soaring vocal lines by ICS Vortex. The track could just as easily fit on TAC or Quintessence, and according to the digipack booklet was indeed composed around the time of Quintessence anyway.

Great track, this album is growing on me on the whole.

It is my favourite from Universal. Damn good song! Anyway, the album hasn't started growing on me yet, and I feel a bit bad because of this, but I don't want to force it on myself, I'll just put it aside a bit and start to listen to it when I have some spare time just for this.

I think he meant in general style - My Domain has a lot of similar compositional elements as Ocean's Rise and Colossus, not to mention they all share soaring vocal lines by ICS Vortex. The track could just as easily fit on TAC or Quintessence, and according to the digipack booklet was indeed composed around the time of Quintessence anyway.

Great track, this album is growing on me on the whole.

Yup. I also thought about Winter Millenium, specially on the 2nd half of My Domain.

I remember Øystein said that it was intented for TAC and the booket on Universal says it was composed on Q days. It sounds pretty much like TAC, so the booklet is wrong?

Am in the only one who thinks vortex stole his patterns and style from garm (in the song that is). :err:

Good song dont get me wrong but i thought it was garm when i first heard it.

you can definitely tell it's a tac song and i like it, but i wouldnt put it up there with colossus/oceans rise. a full album like that would be great.. if only borks could put aside reinventing their sound with every album

Am in the only one who thinks vortex stole his patterns and style from garm (in the song that is). :err:

Good song dont get me wrong but i thought it was garm when i first heard it.

Garm has quite pop'ish way of harmonizing (which he admitted in some interview). Maybe it can be some sort of clue ;)