My Dying Bride "Angel and dark river"

"Turn Loose the Swans" had a huge impact on me when it was released and I hated "Angel..." when it came out. I waited all that time and got 6 songs of clean singing, no orchestration (the guitars just play the same riff almost all the way through), no violin...I hated it.

Then time passed and I went back to it and really grew to like it. Not their best (that would be Swans and The Dreadful Hours), but easily 3rd place. "The Cry of Mankind" is one of the better songs they've written and the whole album is quite dour, in the best possible way.

Sometimes it takes a while to appreciate things for what they instead of what you want them to be.

Listen to the earlier stuff.

More Death/Doom: early Anathema, early Paradise Lost, Dream Death, Runemagick, Winter, Sorrow, Nuctemeron, etc.

Hi. I've been meaning to check out Winter. What do you think is their best album?

With MDB's discography, it's really just a toss up on what is the best one. Many say Turn Loose The Swans, as it is pretty much a landmark in Death/Doom style. As The Flower Withers, their debut is also liked a lot. I'd say it is between Turn Loose The Swans, Dreadful Hours or Songs of Darkness Words of Light, but that's just my opinion. Like I said before, it is just a toss up.

As The Flower Withers is really the only full-length that is genuinely Death/Doom.

Winter only has one full-length (Into Darkness) and one EP (Eternal Frost) and they were reissued together, making the decision quite easy as to which to check out (the answer being both).

It took me awhile to wrap my head around AATDR. I did'nt like it at first, but I kept listening and realized the the depth of the music. Still, I rate TLTS and TDH as better albums. At least, for me.

As The Flower Withers is really the only full-length that is genuinely Death/Doom.

Winter only has one full-length (Into Darkness) and one EP (Eternal Frost) and they were reissued together, making the decision quite easy as to which to check out (the answer being both).

i guess all doom bands have a death/doom albun

My Dying Bride - Turn loose the Swans
Anathema - Serenades
Paradise Lost - Gothic
Tiamat - Astral Sleep
Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
The Gathering - Aways

EMO.jpg

The Angel and the Dark River is my favourite MDB, just ahead of Turn Loose the Swans. I agree with childrengrinder, 'The Cry of Mankind' is just one of the most haunting, sorrowful pieces of music ever recorded.

I really enjoyed the songs from As the Flower Withers that I've heard. Does anyone else have MDB's newest release A Line Of Deathless Kings? Its ok, I just dont listen to it that much. Some of the songs are really cool though. I wish they would do more death/doom stuff like they used to.