My Dying Bride "Angel and dark river"

Judging their stuff in the past few years...A Line of Deathless Kings took me a while to get into but overall it is a good album but certainly not anything special. Songs of Darkness I really like, but The Dreadful Hours is fantastic.

Since we're on the subject, what's the best MDB album to start with? I've been told The Dreadful Hours is good, but I want some good death doom, and I don't know if it has that.

It's probably easier to tell you what NOT to start with, to be honest. Like Gods of the Sun is decent at parts, but I've always thought it had some of their weakest songwriting too (no growled vocals either, like Angel...). 34.788%...Complete is probably always gonna be the anomaly in their catalog. I wouldn't necessarily call it bad, but it's barely a doom record at all, so if you go into it with the mindset that you'll be getting the signature MDB sound, you'll be disappointed. Everything else is enjoyable to one extent or another, although Swans and Dark River I'd definitely consider mandatory. The only thing that bugs me about when they kinda returned to the old sound (starting on Light at the End of the World) is the lack of violins. Aaron's growls aren't quite as strong at times as well, though there's still a lot of excellent songwriting.

Its a great album but they did no wrong in my eyes from their beginning up to this point. Things went pear shaped after this as far as my tastes were concerned, I thoroughy enjoyed The Light at the End of the World but the Dreadful Hours is lacking in spin time at home, I kinda lost interest around that point. Any MDB from 91-95, I struggle to pick a favourite.

^No, there was no full stop after lacking. The only thing it was lacking was spin time in my CD player which probably was no reflection on the disc itself, more so my state of mind when I acquired it. One day I'm sure I'll get around to giving it the time it deserves.

my input:
I own their entire discography starting from their demo in 1990 (towards the sinister) when they were still death metal and I have to say that the Angel and the dark river album is one of the better ones but it's still no match for Songs of Darkness, words of light. I do agree that the cry for mankind is one of their best songs but still SODWOL has a little more darker mood than AATDR which is more of my likings actually.

If you guys enjoy MDB, try some Reverand Bizarre. I recently got them recommended and they sound alot like MDB but less death metalish

This album is okay-----it's not my favorite of theirs by far.

edit: ^I don't think Reverend Bizarre sound much of anything like MDB, but it is a great band and I reccomend them too.

my input:
I own their entire discography starting from their demo in 1990 (towards the sinister) when they were still death metal and I have to say that the Angel and the dark river album is one of the better ones but it's still no match for Songs of Darkness, words of light. I do agree that the cry for mankind is one of their best songs but still SODWOL has a little more darker mood than AATDR which is more of my likings actually.

If you guys enjoy MDB, try some Reverand Bizarre. I recently got them recommended and they sound alot like MDB but less death metalish

My fave song on Songs of Darkness/Words of Light is definetly The Wreckage of my Flesh especially the intro to the song... :worship:

Not my favourite MDB album. Nothing compares with TLTS or Songs of Darkness, Words of Light. I even enjoy A Line of Deathless Kings more than this album. It isn't bad, it's just nothing spectacular.

My fave song on Songs of Darkness/Words of Light is definetly The Wreckage of my Flesh especially the intro to the song... :worship:
+1, mine too

Not my favourite MDB album. Nothing compares with TLTS or Songs of Darkness, Words of Light. I even enjoy A Line of Deathless Kings more than this album. It isn't bad, it's just nothing spectacular.

A line of deathless kings is more of grower than a great album