My Experience Opening For Devin @ Jaxx

OdinsCourt

Valhalla
Sep 26, 2003
MD, USA
www.odinscourtband.com
I posted this in the other Devin forum a while back. I didn't even realize this one was here until recently! This one seems to get more activity and more quality posts, but I digress.

Anyway, Devin has quickly moved up my ranks of favorites. I now hold him 2nd in my all time list after only the great band Pink Floyd. So I'm a Devin nut. Anyway, here is what I wrote up about the show...

==============================

I won’t bore everyone with all the work that went into everything leading up to the gig. I’ll start with arriving at the venue...

Pre Show:
I get there and talk to management about business stuff. While I am, Devin walks by on his cell phone. After I’m done with business stuff, I talk to Devin for a while. I gave him a copy of my band’s CD, and he said he likes getting stuff like that because they’ll listen to it on the road between cities. He signs my version of Terria, takes pictures with me, then with Nicki, chats a bit and then he’s off to warm up his vocals. He was an extremely nice guy, and very approachable.

Next we unload our gear and watch Symphony X soundcheck. The whole band is there minus Russell. After they are done, they all go back to the bus except Mike Lepond. I chat with him for a while, get a picture with him and an autograph. I gave him a copy of my band’s CD and my email address and he said he’d listen and let me know what he thinks. Another really nice guy. Dave & Mike (keys & bass in DTB) are playing hackysack and me and Nicki chat with them too. So far none of these guys have the “rock star” mentality, which is refreshing.

Next Devy and his band soundcheck. Afterwards, we sound check. 30 minutes until show time.

Odin’s Court Set:
I was expecting a good crowd, but this was unbelievable. The place was packed wall to wall when we started. People were all pressed against the stage and rail. We played for 40 minutes. All originals and one cover. This crowd was, without a doubt, the BEST crowd I’ve ever played for. People were screaming, cheering, headbanging, etc. So much fun. I was having a blast. The most fulfilling part was that people were enjoying our originals so much. That’s a nice feeling when you put so much work and heart into them. Here was our set:

Odin's Court - "Paradise Lost: Chapter 1"
Odin's Court - "His Dark Materials"
Odin's Court - "Homecoming"
Odin's Court - "Paradise Lost: Chapter 3"
Odin's Court - "Surreal Contemplations"
Odin's Court - "Utopian Rust"
Odin's Court - "D2C"
Judas Priest - "Breakin' the Law”

After Our Set:
While loading up the gear out back, Brave’s lead singer (Michelle) told me how she enjoyed us and that she really liked my voice a lot. As if it wasn’t gratifying enough to get such a nice comment from a fellow musician, Devin came over and commented on our performance. He said he really liked us. Though the most flattering remark he made was when he said, “You have a fu**ing awesome voice! You sounded really great.” Mike Lepond also said we sounded really good, as well as several of the DTB’s members and SX’s crew. I must say I was flying high. :D

Devin Townsend Band Set:
Nicki and I went up front for Devin’s set since we’re both such huge fans. The only problem was he was so incredibly loud that we couldn’t stand it. Even though we had earplugs, we had to go back to the merchandise booth. From there we had a great view, and it sounded much better. Since I think about 1 in 30 people there seemed to care about Devin, we were getting really strange looks from people as we sang and screamed along to his amazing music. His band was great, and he was awesome.

The setlist itself was a decent sampling of all his albums (minus Physicist. He played some of my favorites, but not all of them. Regardless of what he played, I was just happy to see him live. He has been playing a medley of "Away" and "Deep Peace" on this tour, but his effects were messed up so he did "Deadhead" instead. Here is his setlist:

"Seventh Wave "
"Storm"
"Earth Day"
"Regulator"
"Truth"
"Life"
"Deadhead"
"Bad Devil"

Symphony X Set:
It was obvious that the majority of this near sell out crowd was there to see Symphony X. Which was a cool sight considering when I saw Symphony X at Jaxx the previous November they were with Blind Guardian, and everyone was there to see them rather than SX. That tour did a lot for SX’s fanbase. You can read my review for that show here.

They played great. They were tight and full of energy. Highlights for me were "Communion and the Oracle", "Accolade II", and "The Odyssey". One complaint I had was that they played everything too fast! I mean, there stuff is fast already. I call this "Iron Maiden syndrome". It’s cool sometimes, but in many cases it takes away from the song itself. At any rate, here is their setlist:

"Inferno"
"Wicked"
"Evolution"
"Communion and the Oracle"
"Accolade II"
"King of Terror"
"Smoke and Mirrors"
"Sea of Lies"
"Sins and Shadows"
"They Odyssey"

During their set, Nicki and I hung out with Devin, his guitarist, and drummer in the lobby. We talked to them about all kinds of things for 30 minutes or so: everything from deep, intelligent stuff to music to whacky to weird. One of my favorite conversations was when we were both talking to each other about our influences, composing, arranging, etc. Turns out we are both highly influenced by Yanni and Enya! :D But we have the same philosophy about it – go atmospheric, larger than life sound, etc, but do it METAL. :evil He is a super cool guy, and definitely one of the coolest professional musicians I’ve ever met.

Devin complimented my voice again, and he asked a bunch of questions about my band. I gave them all Odin’s Court T-Shirts, and they really liked them. They said they were going to wear them on stage during the tour (so if you see them 11/22 or later, look for them! :)). Devin signed Nicki’s special edition of Terria.

Post Show:
The place emptied out really fast. I packed up the last of our merchandise and hung around talking to people. After about 10 minutes, all of Symphony X came through to the front. People were waiting in line at the front door for autographs and pictures. I thought it was pretty cool that they did that. After all the fans left, Jaxx locked the doors and we hung out with Symphony X until 3am. I got a picture with all of SX and then just Rullo (since he was mostly cut out of my full band picture). Nicki got Lepond to sign her ticket stub.

I talked to Devin a little more before he hit the road. He and his band left much, much earlier than Symphony X to get to Cleveland. They had a mobile home they tour in, while Symphony X had a huge full size bus as a home. Anyway, back to the venue…

Everyone was hanging out at the bar drinking and talking. I talked to all the members of Symphony X several times. They were all friendly, with Lepond being the nicest of all of them. Romeo was fun to talk to since we talked about music, composing, arrangements, etc. Nicki had fun lighting everyone’s cigarettes because no one seemed to have a lighter.

I noticed that Lepond was a really quiet guy and sat at the bar by himself drinking while everyone else talked. Nicki and I went over to him again after talking to everyone else, and we talked for 30 to 45 minutes. He is really cool guy. We had some great conversations about everything under the sun. I really do wish the best for him and Symphony X – they deserve to "make it". They are right on the edge of breaking through so that they can do this for a living (which may come to a surprise to many of you – they all do other jobs when they aren’t in the studio, writing, or touring).

Their bus was scheduled to leave at 3am, so we said goodbye and hit the road ourselves. It was about a 1.5-hour drive home, so I ended up getting to bed around 5:30am. It was a very eventful and memorable experience indeed. Can't beat playing for 500 screaming Prog Metal nuts! :)

Pictures:
Finally, here are some pictures. These aren’t from the actually sets. Those will come later. I’ll let everyone know when those are ready. In the meantime..

* Matt & Devin
* Nicki & Devin
* Matt & Lepond
* Matt & Rullo
* Matt & Symphony X

P.S. Those of you who saw the show, please comment and let me know what you thought! I love getting feedback. And if you liked us, please email about getting on our mailing list.

Rock on!

Thanks. It did take a long time to type that up. And it took a lot of time, work, and effort to get my band to where it is. So it's nice to hear comments like we're "promising". :) Hopefully things will continue to go well for us.

Hey Odin's Court,
Did you meet the whole DTB band ? If so what were they like ? I met Dev and i also met the rest of the band as well, they were all very cool to talk to but it was a short meet n' greet. I know you talked to Dev and one of the brothers, how 'bout the rest ? Cool review and story too...

Yes, I talked to all of them at one point or another. When I talked to Dev for a long time in the lobby, it was also with his 2nd guitarist and drummer. They were the 2 DTB members (besides Devin) that I gave T-Shirts to. They were both very cool as well. Honestly, that band is comprised of the most down to earth everyday guys I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Where did you meet them? Care to share your experience? :D

Glad you like the story. :)

Sure, I'll share my experience ....

I met them on the Canadian tour with SYL in Montreal and on the US Tour with Symphony X as well. On the Canadian tour experience, I met all of them outside the tour bus (except for Dev) they were all really cool and signed an Accelerated evolution shirt for me. It was a quick meeting but very cool. I was on vacation for a month and a half visiting relatives out in eastern Canada. So.... a month or so later they played Montreal again but i missed it, so I went to see them in New York at the start of their US tour (6 hour drive). I hung out with Ryan for a bit after their show. He was tearing down his drumkit outside of the venue and i offered to help him, he told me he was fine for tearing down his drums, then handed me a Budweiser and said I could shoot the shit with him while he tore down his drumset. We hung out and talked for 20 min's or so. He was really cool to talk to and so layed back. We talked about life and his experiences in Europe, which was really cool. he's apretty funny guy and really happy playing in DTB. Bryan and the Young brothers came into the conversation eventually, they were really cool too. Very casual and easy going guy's all around. I got all of them to sign my AE disc. I met Devin briefly as well, he was hilarious, crackin' jokes with fans and stuff. You could tell Dev was tired though, so he did'nt stay too long, which was understandable. I got him to sign all my Devin disc's and shook his hand and that was that. I have met Devin before with SYL and he was very cool to talk to and easy going. Cool experience over all. It's cool to meet bands that don't have rockstar ego's, I have a ton of respect for DTB for that reason alone. Anyone else have stories ? Lets her 'em !

A fantastic write up. It's nice to see such an articulate and accurate account of a live show, and having a musician give his point of view is simply the icing on the cake. Oh, and if Devin likes your music, then I'm certainly checking you guys out :)

Met Dev and Byron at the Hultsfred festival in -03. I was amazed how polite and humble they were, and they seemed so happy when people came up and wished them good luck with the gig and thanked them for the excelent music they put out over the years. The entire evening was filled with a positive vibe. I didn´t think they would act as "rock stars" but the genuine thankfullness they showed us fans struck me!

Devin could wear a diaper on his head for all I care, that guy is baaaaasss no matter what he looks like or wears.

But good review man, I agree, Devin and Co(DTB)are some of the coolest people Ive ever met. I met Devin once on the SYL tour and another time with the rest of the DTB when they were on tour with Symphony X. All really cool people. But good review too, and I know what you mean about being pretty much the only one in the crowd enjoying DTB. Me and my buddies were seriously like the only ones singing along or even headbanging.. I was pretty shocked.

Also nice to hear that Devin had some good comments. Ive checked out your stuff as well, not bad, do you have any full MP3's on your site or only clips? I need full songs, I cant rock out for 39 seconds at a time! :D