My Halford's Resurrection Cover + RAW files + Justin Bieber Doll Burn

cool that you like it! All you need is in the package below:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67037385/resurrection_gits.zip
Stay Metall,

You processed the guitars WAY different I did. My aproach was to give emphasis to vocals, so I 'mud' the guitars way more (low passed at 7khz 6db/oc), took all the fizz out, and made them sit with bass and ohs.

The chain I used was:
Guitars channels -> HP filter -> guitar BUS

Guitar Bus: Slate VCC, Equality (2x HP and 1x LP), SLL BUS COMP, Eqality (take out shit), Equality (tame out more fizz), C4 (with bass side chain) and UAD fairchild (to give same power to both sides and increase volume).

For Bass I used 2 tracks:
Bass/Treble.
Bass track: 1176, 1176, 1176, Equality, Cubase Chorus, Equality, Decapitator -> Bass bus
Treble track: Equality, Lecto, IR, SSL BUS COMP, Equality - Bass Bus

Bass Bus: SLL BUS COMP

Drums all had SLATE VCC (neve drive +3 and gain to reach 0vu)
All drum pieces had Equality on chain too.
Used Transient Designer on Snare and AMB.
1776 on kick and Rcomp on Snare and TOMS.
Also used Parallel Comp on Kick and Snare, both eq'ed.

Vocals: Slate VCC, LA2A, 1176, Neve88RS, SPL de-esser, Equality, Decapitator, UAD CS-1, Chorus, Echoboy.
Vocal FX: UAD Roland RE-201 (tape style delay ~60ms) and UAD EMT 140.

Mix Bus: Slate VCC "neve" -3db drive and L2 limiter (just to ensure it would not clip, it didin't reach the treshold, though.)

Then Exported to add intro.
Intro was: Minimonsta, Padshop, Taurus pedal and UAD moog filter.
Recorded 3 vocals on minor harmonic scale. Recorded Resurrection words and inverted. Added justin bieber song to the doll burning.

Then mastered:
Slate VCC Channel (imput to reach 0vu) API model -> Slate MixBUSS API (-6db drive) -> UAD ampex -> VSC2 (dual mono) ->FABFILTER PRO-Q-> FabFilter PRO-L (CLIPING MODE) -> FABFILTER PRO-L (LIMITER).

All with oversampling.

Cheers!!! :headbang:

Fenix-
Thanks for posting these tracks! You did an awesome version, nice one.:headbang: Vocals are great, and the solo screams. Fun to practice mixing on. That being said, I decided it was TOO easy- you already had good sounding guitar tracks, and I'm trying to practice getting a decent tone with ampsims. So, I recorded my own rhythm D.I.'s, and this is the mix attempt:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64586073/Fenixdoido_Resurrection Cover_Pickasso mix attempt 1.wma

I might not be playing the rhythms quite right/tight, in your video it looks like you're playing a drop D tuning- I had the whole guitar tuned down to D. It seems like this song is very vocal driven, so the guitars are lower in the mix.
I don't have any monitors, I'm judging the mix with headphones & the car stereo, so any critiques/tips would be helpful.

Fenix-
Thanks for posting these tracks! You did an awesome version, nice one.:headbang: Vocals are great, and the solo screams. Fun to practice mixing on. That being said, I decided it was TOO easy- you already had good sounding guitar tracks, and I'm trying to practice getting a decent tone with ampsims. So, I recorded my own rhythm D.I.'s, and this is the mix attempt:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64586073/Fenixdoido_Resurrection Cover_Pickasso mix attempt 1.wma

I might not be playing the rhythms quite right/tight, in your video it looks like you're playing a drop D tuning- I had the whole guitar tuned down to D. It seems like this song is very vocal driven, so the guitars are lower in the mix.
I don't have any monitors, I'm judging the mix with headphones & the car stereo, so any critiques/tips would be helpful.

WOW! Thanks in advance man, but thought I posted the DI's too.
EDIT: LOL I DIDN'T!!! I think I'll have to re-up the link later. With updated DIs and MIDI!
Nice playing, not bad at all!
What guitar are you using?

What guitar are you using?
Oh man you guys are going to laugh, & likely even more at the ampsim I used. The guitar is a Sunsmile SSG300M, which is a cheapo SG copy. I just bought it for $79 new, claims to be mahogany body & set neck. No way to confirm that it's mahogany, but it sounds/plays excellent! Stock pickups are surprisingly good.
The guitar chain is:
SSG300M/Line6GX/Reaper/Greengate/Simple_Guitar_Combo/Boogex (tonevampire impulses)/AlgorVerb/Reaeq

The Simple_Guitar_Combo is a Nick Crowe plugin, must be really, really old because it is super basic, there is no gui, just 3 controls, anyway it sounds very cool.
Let us know if you post your rhythm D.I.'s- Thanks!

Yeah...what up with the clipping?? You couldn't turn the preamp down a lil??
It's straight up digital distortion there!!

Updated MIX with Ermin's book bass guide:

I know it's been a while since I did this cover, but I am recording some others, like Malmsteen's I am a Viking, Heaven and Hell, Badlands, Queen.

Feel free to suggest some songs to me.

I am looking for someone with good skills (and also a 7 string guitar) to play Devin Townsend's Project "The Way Home!" and "Supercrush!" from the album "addicted!". A bass player is wanted for this one also.

If this request gets burried in this forum section, I'll request on main page.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
How about IRON MAIDEN- PURGATORY?
Really fun on guitar, plus I'm sure you could nail the screams.

About the mix:
Not liking the bass guitar. When I was trying to mix this, the bass sounded out of place at times. like it's out of tune or off time, I couldn't put my finger on what it is. The way it's mixed here, it sounds strange to me, sounds really growly, doesn't mesh or blend. When I attempted this, I tried to bury it in the mix because it sounded so off at times.

The guitars and vocals are really good.
Kick sounds a few db too loud.

How about IRON MAIDEN- PURGATORY?
Really fun on guitar, plus I'm sure you could nail the screams.

About the mix:
Not liking the bass guitar. When I was trying to mix this, the bass sounded out of place at times. like it's out of tune or off time, I couldn't put my finger on what it is. The way it's mixed here, it sounds strange to me, sounds really growly, doesn't mesh or blend. When I attempted this, I tried to bury it in the mix because it sounded so off at times.

The guitars and vocals are really good.
Kick sounds a few db too loud.

Iron Maiden is always funny! Love Killers album!
Though, I may do that from killers and one from Somewhere in Time!

I think bass is a bit out of time there. We did it first take and I didn't edited it. I would use midi bass, but I wanted my dad to play this tune.
Next time I promisse an ubertight performance.
Cheers!

Big time thanks for the tracks, it was a blast to work on them.

You guys did a great job on this all the way around. Some serious talent and the lead is just fantastic!

Just wish my mix would do more justice to the performance.... miles to go.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8779878/Resurrection-FenixDoido-cc v1.0.mp3

Thank you for "Ressurect" this post!
I am glad you like the tracks! :headbang:
Your mix is not bad at all!
A bit dry IMO. You could use more effects on drums. And tame out those highs on cymbals and guitars.
Overall balance is good!!!
Cheers! :kickass: