My insatiable metal appetite needs feeding!

Wow I think UM finally fixed the recommendation problem, this thread is how a recommendations thread is supposed to be haha.

Anyways I recommend
Orphaned Land
Neurosis
November's Doom
Swallow The Sun
Evoken
Godspeed You Black Emperor

someone earlier suggested Dream Theater. they're gr8, but if u wanna avoid that kicked-in-the-balls, pussy kind of vocal then get Train Of Thought. it's by far their heaviest album.

That album gets old fast actually.

Well i think so far i've got enough prog and doom recommendations to keep me happy for a while. Thanks for everyone for that.

Does anyone know bands that are similar to Isis and Cult of Luna? 'Rosetta' i know's already been suggested and i'll check them out. I like 'post metal' bands with vocals rather than purely instrumental, with the exception of Pelican of course, but a lot of the bands i read reviews about are instrumentel.

Keep those recommendations coming.

Please, please, please refrain from using the term post-metal, I might have to e-smack you if you use it. It is an awful term and really doesn't make sense at all.

Sludge/Post-rock is what you're looking for and I can help you out a good bit:

Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm
Overmars - Affliction, Endocrine... Vertigo
Callisto - Noir
Mouth of the Architect - The Ties That Bind
Conifer - s/t
Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites (Already suggested but I wanted to add something, make sure that if you download it instead of buying it to get three copies of it, one of the strictly sludge disc, one of the ambient disc, and one of both the sludge and ambient combined. If you buy it you're going to need two players to sync up so you can play both ambient and sludge in order to get the full effect)
Snowblood - Being and Becoming
Tides - Resurface
Year of No Light - Nord

Also some general sludge albums to look into that are not "traditional" but not the exact postrock/sludge fusion that you still could like:

The Ocean - Fluxion
The Ocean - Aeolian

Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites (Already suggested but I wanted to add something, make sure that if you download it instead of buying it to get three copies of it, one of the strictly sludge disc, one of the ambient disc, and one of both the sludge and ambient combined. If you buy it you're going to need two players to sync up so you can play both ambient and sludge in order to get the full effect)

Damn that's a cool idea! Do they pull it off?

Just listened to Draconian 'Arcane Rain Fell'. Tis pretty good stuff. I like the concept, gives it more of an edge.

Check out Edge Of Sanity. The band broke up, but it's a nice blend of melodeath and progressive metal. You should get the albums "Crimson" and "Crimson II". Each album has 1 song, but Crimson is a 40 minute song and Crimson II is 43 minutes. Sounds a bit like Opeth...

As for Pain Of Salvation, you may not like their latest album, Scarsick, because they kinda put some hip-hop-ish influences into it. Entropia and Remedy Lane are great though.

After having a chilled out sesh with 'The Eye of Every Storm' last night, I have to say that Neurosis is pretty damn good, definitely a eyes closed, headphone job.

I get what you mean Xory, you definitely have to be in the mood. At least I think that's what you mean, either that or I just disagree with you.