My interview with Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I did this interview with Jon in August. RC's zine went down before this could go up. Some folks in the ProgPower forum were asking me about it, so I figured I'd post it. I know there isn't a lot of interest in Iced Earth in this forum, but thought it was more appropriate to post it here, and then provide a link to it in the ProgPower forum.

Zod

Zod: How’s your back these days, how are you feeling?

Jon: You know, it’s better. I had a couple of operations between the last American tour and now. November of 2004 was the second of the two. I’m doing much better now. It’s still something that I’m going to have to work on for a quite a while and continue with therapy. I’ve got hopes that I’m on the road to recovery. Things are better than they’ve been in several months. So it’s cool. I’m a little concerned about going on the road. It’s not so much about the performing, as it is the traveling.

Zod: So it’s more about being on the bus, and not being able to sleep on a decent mattress?

Jon: Exactly. Bouncing around all night while you’re traveling. That’s really always been a problem on my back. It wasn’t bad at all before ‘96, when I injured my neck. I had surgery, finally in 2000, because it got so bad I was about to lose the use of my right arm. And actually, since I had the neck surgery, the neck’s been really good. I do have permanent nerve damage there, and that’s an issue that I’m going to deal with for the rest of my life. The lower back thing started in 2001, and it has developed into more of a problem. It irritates the fuck out of it when I can’t get rest and I’m bouncing around on the bus. That’s a little of a concern. On the first part of “The Glorious Burden” tour, that we did in America, I had a physical therapist with me for the first month, and it was great. He was working on me every day; during the day, before the show, after the show… and I didn’t have any problems. About two weeks after he left, shit really went south. So I think we’re going to have somebody like that on the tour all the time.

Zod: It’s interesting about the tour bus thing, I never even considered that, when I read about your problems touring. I just always assumed it stemmed from going out on stage and playing your ass off.

Jon: Yeah. The performance is the least of it. It’s everything about being on tour that makes it harder. Also, we don’t tour under the best circumstances, because we don’t have that kind of budget. Obviously, it’s better than being in a van or a camper, but we don’t really have the budget to be in nice hotels every day. And that kind of shit, it’s really a pain in the ass.

Zod: Have you ever worried that it could get to the point, where you could find yourself in a Jon Olivia type situation with Savatage, where you create the music, and then send the band out to tour?

Jon: Well, I’ll tell you. My management and I discussed that, because I really felt horrible, that because of my back problems that there was a wrench being thrown into the machine. There was a lot of good momentum going. I discussed it with Tim (Owens, Iced Earth vocalist), and discussed it with management, and Tim was like, “No fucking way, I’m not going to go out without you.” And it was so bad, on those last two festival shows that we did in Europe, I could barely walk off the plane when we arrived in Germany. I was freaking out. I said, “I think I need to get back home and get to a hospital, I can barely fucking walk.”

Zod: Wow.

Jon: I could barely fucking walk. But I said, we can’t afford to not make this gig. With all the financial problems that Richard (Christy, ex-Iced Earth drummer) caused, with him leaving in the middle of the tour… we had to cancel Japan. And it was like, were losing money on this tour, big time, and we can’t cancel these shows (the European festivals), but I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to play and I’m going to need you guys to go on without me. And they were like, “No way… we can’t.”

Zod: So, Richard pulling out to do that whole Stern (Howard Stern radio show) thing, really screwed you guys? I didn’t know it was a major impact. It was?

Jon: Well it was because of the timing. If he would have told me before the tour, we could have made arrangements. That’s water under the bridge. Richard did us a favor, because Bobby (Jarzombek, Iced Earth drummer) rules, and Richard found Bobby for us. But the problem is he really screwed us financially, because he told us in the middle of the tour. Really, like a week before the situation, that “I got to leave the tour”. We’re getting ready to go to Japan, and we have a new drummer that we’ve never played with before. It was giving us two days of rehearsal. And I’m like, “No fucking way.” We’ve got to jam with this guy for four or five days to make sure we’re right. I’m not going to go on stage and try to pull of “Gettysburg” with a guy we’ve never played with before.

Zod: (laughter) Yeah, 33 minutes worth of music with someone you just started jamming with.

Jon: Yeah. So, anyway, it cause a lot of problems. And by the time we got to Europe my back was fried. And the guy who was the physical therapist on the first part of the tour is a German guy. So he actually saved the day, because he closed down his practice and came to Frankfurt that evening and worked on me and got me through the shows. Well, him and a bottle of Jägermeister.

(laughter)

Jon: And I’ll tell you what, by the time we got towards the end of “Gettysburg”, which was the last song at that first festival in Belgium, I thought I was going to hit the deck. I thought my legs were going to go out from under me. I was in FUCKING AGONY. It was one of the worst times I’ve ever felt on stage… probably the worst. So, he worked on me the next day in Germany, and it was a little better. It was still tough and it wasn’t too long after that that I had the first procedure done when I got home..

Zod: Well, I hope things work out better for you when you go out in support of the next album. Let’s talk about the new record. Are you satisfied with the way “Touched by the Crimson King” came out?

Jon: Yeah, overall. Every time we do a record, you’re so consumed with it and the creative process, then the pre-production, then the recording, the mix, the mastering… I like to get away from it for a while. But usually, within three to four weeks I listen to it again and there’s always little things, that I feel, “Eh, I could have done that better, or differently.” But, overall? Yeah, I’m satisfied, I think it’s a cool record.

Zod: I’d say it has a fuller sounding production that the last one, and stylistically, it probably picks up where the debut left off. Would you agree?

Jon: Yeah. Overall, I think it’s a better mix. I think the songs are more dynamic. There may be a lot of acoustic parts, but the parts that are heavy, are REALLY fucking heavy. And whereas the first album had some really strong material, like “Fiddler on the Green” and “Heaven Denies”, I think this overall is a stronger record song-wise. But there are some really special moments on the first one. I don’t know that there’s a “Fiddle on the Green” on this album, but there’s a lot of GOOD songs.

Zod: That’s interesting. I’d probably sum it up the same way. Your two strongest songs are on the first album but this album is more consistent throughout.

Jon: Yeah. The one thing I’d really like to do, and we were going to try to do it this time, and just couldn’t get our schedules together, is to do more face to face writing with Hansi (Kursch). Cause there’s like three songs that we wrote while we were actually sitting in front of each other, and the rest of it was me sending musical arrangements to him, him working on vocal melodies, and than we’d bang around lyrical ideas and work on those together. There’s a certain kind of chemistry that flows when you’re…

Zod: (interrupting) in the room?

Jon: Yeah, when you’re together. And it was very cool to be able to do some of that on this record, but I’d really like to do more of that. I hope the next time we do an album we can spend a few months together just banging stuff out.

Zod: I was looking at the liner notes on the first album, and I was looking to see who wrote the lyrics. I just assumed you wrote all the music and he wrote the better part of the lyrics. But I guess you guys split the lyrics, to a certain extant?

Jon: Yeah. Hansi usually comes up with the theme of the song.

Zod: OK.

Jon: Not every time, but most of the time. And he’ll sketch out a draft of lyrical ideas and we then we’ll go through it together. And I will help with grammar, because English is his second language. But we just do what we got to do to get it done.

Zod: It’s interesting that you mention the grammar thing. I’ve always been a big fan of good lyrics. I’ve always found it interesting that European and Nordic bands don’t bring someone in to tighten up the lyrics. Obviously they’re writing in English, because they want to reach that market, but yet they write in what is their second or third language.

Jon: Yeah. I would like to see more of them do that, because many times they end up sounding really corny.

Zod: Exactly. It hurts the song.

Jon: Yeah, it can. No doubt.

Zod: I’ve been to a number of the ProgPower festivals (http://www.progpowerusa.com/), and I was hoping that Demons and Wizards would headline it this year. Was that ever broached? Did you ever talk to Glenn (Harveston, ProgPower promoter) about that?

Jon: I think there’s been some discussion about that in the past. Demons and Wizards biggest problem is Iced Earth’s and Blind Guardian’s schedules. And I don’t think this year is a reality or not. The Guardians are going to be getting into pre-production for their next album pretty shortly. Besides that, I’m going to be getting into writing mode for Iced Earth. We’ve been offered the biggest festivals in Europe to headline, a couple of months back, because the new the Demon’s album was coming, and we turned that down. Mainly, because I just had a daughter…

Zod: (interrupting) Congratulations.

Jon: Thank you. And I don’t really want to leave… not for the first six months or so, and Hansi is going into pre-production. It’s not like we won’t play. We did tour on the first one, and we may still do something on this, but I think it may be later than sooner. And it would probably be next year rather than this year, just because of the way schedules are going.

Zod: Any shot, that if it does happen, that you guys would hit North America this time around?

Jon: That’s actually what we would prefer to do. Because I think it would a very cool thing to do it. There’s probably going to be a live record. I would like to record that here in New York. Just because it would be the thing you wouldn’t expect us to do. Because both bands are much bigger in Europe, and Demons and Wizards is very successful there. It would make more sense to do it in Spain or Greece. But I think it would be killer here. And it would be a little bit of a lesson to the world that America has got some shit going on. We have very spirited audiences that sing along and get crazy, and we’ll capture that on tape. New York is one of my favorite places to play in the world and the crowds ROCK here.

Zod: Yeah, I saw you guys at The World (in NYC) on the “Horror Show” tour.

Jon: Actually, the “Horror Show” performance (in NYC), when we opened with the “Star Spangled Banner”, it wasn’t that long after 9/11. It was one of the most powerful experiences ever on stage (for me). I had tears in my eyes by the time we got to the end of “Star Spangled Banner” because it was just a very emotional thing, doing it here. Man it was powerful.

Zod: I was at that show, that was a fantastic show. I remember reading once, I believe it was on your web site, where you said you had about 20 songs written and you weren’t quite sure which were going to be Iced Earth songs and which were going to be Demons and Wizards songs. How do you make that call in the end?

Jon: Well, usually, it has to do with the vocal melodies. When it’s an Iced Earth song, I hear the vocal melody. If I don’t hear the vocal melody, that’s the stuff I co-write with other people. I’m not sure in what context I made that statement. I have to go back and look, and really think about what I had in the can at the time. But there are definite pieces of music, say “Gettysburg” or “Declaration Day”, where I start off and say, “OK. I’m going to write this song, and this is going to be the title and this is the theme of it” and I start working on it, and a lot of times it hits me pretty fast and furious. And it’s like, I know what the vocals have to do there. I know this is the melody and this is the arrangement and this is the style that I need it to be sung in. And that’s the stuff that I write by myself. If I write a piece of music, and it’s a cool piece of music, but I don’t necessarily hear what the vocals are doing, than that’s the stuff I co-write with people. And that’s really the only difference between Demons and Wizards and Iced Earth. Musically I don’t approach it any different, but in Demons I have a writing partner. And when you put those two things together it creates something new.

Jon: Blind Guardian is almost always working in a major key, whereas I write almost all the time in a harmonic minor key. That forces Hansi to create a vocal melody that sounds pretty different from anything that you’re used to hearing him sing. And you don’t have as many options when you’re in a harmonic minor key, as you do when you’re in a major key. So, it’s a little bit harder to do… and it’s darker. Plus, the style that he writes a vocal melody in, is very different from what I would. That’s what really makes it different and what makes it create the new monster. But that’s the stuff that I co-write. That’s pretty much with anybody. It will be that way with Tim in the future. Because if I hear it, and it’s that overwhelming, and I’m pretty convinced of the theme, than I know it’s going to be right.

Zod: How do you approach working with somebody new? Iced Earth has always been your musical vision. Does it make you at all uncomfortable, to bring someone new in? Someone who will infuse their ideas into something that’s not always been only yours, but mostly yours?

Jon: No. Because I’m not going to use anybody’s ideas if they don’t work within the vision. That’s a real quick way to ruin everything you’ve built. Just because somebody’s a musician, doesn’t mean that they’re a songwriter. I’ve dealt with dozens and dozens of guys over the years who were great performers, but they can’t write themselves out of a wet paper bag. It’s a whole different thing. And if you let people contribute, just to be nice to them, you will ruin your band, and you will ruin everything you’ve stood for. That’s a real quick way to put out some generic shit, and that’s something that I will not let happen. But if somebody does have a cool idea, and it fits within the scope of everything, they get the credit, they get the publishing. That’s cool.

Zod: Do you plan on approaching the way you write any differently, or the way you design vocal melodies any differently, with Tim as opposed to Matt?

Jon: No.

Zod: No?

Jon: Nope. I’m looking forward to seeing what kind of stuff Tim writes. He doesn’t have a history as a songwriter. He’s never really been given that opportunity and I’m giving him an opportunity. And it will be interesting to see what he comes up with. He knows I’m not going to use it if it doesn’t work, just to be nice to him. But I won’t approach anything as far as melodies (differently), because I’m a songwriter. The songs are what they are. I don’t write for a singer, I write for me, I write for the song. The guys that are performing… the reason they’re performing is because I hired them, because I have faith that they can do it. It’s all got to be honest and from the heart. If you try to do something that’s not genuine, the people are going to pick up on it right away. Whether they even realize why they don’t like it or not, it doesn’t really matter. But I know why they wouldn’t. If it’s from the heart, everyone is going to get it.

Zod: Singers can often be the face of the band. Their voice can be a band’s most defining characteristic to the listening audience. Before the release of “The Glorious Burden” were you at all concerned about how Iced Earth fans might perceive the new release, after Matt left?

Jon: Not really. Because I’ve gone through that numerous times in the past. And I’ve heard the same thing about every guy that left, “How can you develop a…” and it’s like, “Yeah, whatever.” For me, I knew Tim and know I that Tim has got exactly what I hear. His voice is amazing, and it’s powerful and he’s killer to work with. The thing is, people fall in love with an illusion. I mean, they don’t have any fucking clue what Matt Barlow is really like. They have no idea. All they know is what they hear in the studio, which has a hell of a lot to do with what Jim Morrison and I make happen. The way that the illusion is delivered has a lot to do with the production, and the songs, most importantly. Fans create an illusion in their mind. And I can’t help that. I live in the reality of Iced Earth. I know I’m the driving force of the band, the guy whose pushing stuff and making things happen, and I don’t really care if people realize that or not. It doesn’t matter. I know it’s not going to change a whole hell of a lot. Yeah, the face will change, the voice will change, but there’s not a whole lot that’s really going to change. And yeah, the superficial fans may not get it. But that’s OK.

Jon: There’s going to be people out there who will never be able to accept Tim, well then, listen to the old records, we’ll make new fans. There’s plenty who will get it, because it’s still sincere and it’s still good.

Jon: It would have been a huge difference if Matt was a writer. Say we would have been a songwriting team, like Hansi and I am. There’s no Demons and Wizards without Hansi. No way. Because he is as much a part of that as I am. It’s just that people don’t know who Matt is. The point I’m trying to make, is people fall in love with a creation that they create.

Zod: I understand 100%. To a certain extant, I fall in that camp. The Matt Barlow voice that I hear on CD is probably my most favorite metal voice of all time. And I fully expected not to like “The Glorious Burden” to be completely honest with you, and it turned out to be my favorite album of the year. I was just… blown away.

Jon: Wow. Cool. If I would have put it out with Matt, it was sub-standard. He did a piss-poor job and that’s just a fact, and I had to stop the sessions. It was just that bad. We were in the middle of mixing the record and I’m looking at Jim like, “I can’t release this album.” There was not enough electronic surgery that we could do to make it sound like it was the real deal. Matt lost heart. He’s done. He’s moving on and doing things in his life. Matt is my brother-in-law. I wish him all… the… best… in the world. I want him to have a good, happy life, and he was not (happy).

Jon: The music business is fucking shallow. I think he looked at his life, at that point and said, “This really isn’t fulfilling any more.” And I understand that, cause I can see it. If I didn’t have the artistic part of it I wouldn’t do this shit. Because it’s an illusion. It’s a big fucking lie. That’s what it is. The only thing real about it are the songs. And if you’re not driving the songs, you’re living the lie.

Zod: Right.

Jon: It’s really a pretty vicious thing when you get down to it. I would not be fulfilled if I wasn’t a songwriter. I would have nothing to do with this shit. Because I think it’s shallow, it’s lame. When I look at the way people are marketed to the masses, and these illusions are created, which are based in lies, and everything is about hype, and it’s all a bunch of shit. And if you’re not doing true music, then I wouldn’t do it and I wouldn’t have anything to do with it.

Zod: I can appreciate that. Hmmm… the next Iced Earth album? Any idea what timeframe we’re looking at? Are we looking at spring next year?

Jon: It kind of depends. We’re waiting on decisions from SPV. It’s not that they’re going to decide which way the record goes, thematically, it’s just that I need to have an answer about a contractual thing before I go forward with the theme that I want to go forward with. My goal is to do the “Something Wicked” story.

Zod: That was my next question.

Jon: Yeah. The real way. Basically, they need to commit to the option that they have, because it’s going to be a two part record, I can’t do it in one part.

Zod: Is that right?

Jon: Yeah. It will be the kind of thing where we put out part one, and we’ll still be in the studio working on part two. And then part two would come out, six months later, and that’s when the tour would start. So it’s going to be, by far, the most ambitious thing I’ve ever written, recorded. It’s going to be… bizarre, heavy, dark, melodic… all that. But, very, very ambitious. I hope that the right decision is made, so that we can finally deliver this thing.

Zod: That’s sounds good. I’m looking forward to hearing it.

Jon: It’s going to take a while to write it. I’m not going to bullshit you. Because I want to start writing in the next two months or so, if the decision is made soon. Every time we do a record, the first stage of it starts to happen in my mind. Before I even pick up a guitar and start making it a reality, I think constantly about it, pretty much every minute of every day, I’m building this shit in my mind. That goes on for several weeks and then I actually grab the guitar and I sit down and I start playing, and I record and I build things and make it happen that way. But this is so complex, and… it’s got to have the cliff-hangers and the whole thing, and it’s a bizarre story that’s going to totally fucking blow peoples’ minds. And it’s got to be done the right way. It’s going to have world instruments, and all different kinds of tribal drumming... there’s going to be sitars, and a full orchestra and just stuff that people have never heard from us before.

Zod: Wow.

Jon: But it will still be very much Iced Earth. I hope that it will be the ultimate concept album ever. That’s my goal.

Zod: Just curious, what do you think is the ultimate concept album ever?

Jon: What do I think it is?

Zod: Yeah. If you had to pick one as the “gold standard”.

Jon: Hmm… I would say “The Wall”.

Zod: “The Wall”?

Jon: Yeah.

Zod: I’d probably say, “Mindcrime” 1A, but “The Wall” would be 1B.

Jon: Yeah, “Mindcrime” is killer too. Definitely a great, great album. I just think “The Wall” is… it’s obviously freakier. “Mindcrime” is a Metal concept album. “The Wall” is just heavy, it’s a trip. It’s just one of those things. There’s some really weird musical stuff on it, but I just think it’s amazing. Ours is going to be nothing like “The Wall”.

(laughter)

Zod: OK. Let me see if I can sneak in one more question before our time runs out here. I want to get your take on MP3s. Given that you guys don’t get a lot of exposure in the mainstream media, do you think that they’re a necessary evil… or just plain old evil?

Jon: I don’t have an MP3 player and I’m not involved in all that. This whole digital age has hurt the music business, big time. And it’s not just hurting the labels, it’s hurting the artists too. I don’t think people really understand that. I don’t think there’s anything we can do about it. And it’s not just fucking up the music business, it’s also with films. It’s so much easier to steal stuff, and make it great quality now, and it’s really created an issue.

Jon: In some ways I think the big majors have created this monster, because they fucked people for so long by putting out products that maybe had one or two good tracks, and then charged an outrageous price when it was so cheap to manufacture. So I think this is biting them in the ass, because I think people are like, “You know what, if I don’t have to spend $16 on the record and there’s two songs on it that are good and the rest of it’s shit, than I’m just going to take it for free.”

Jon: But I think that Iced Earth and Blind Guardian, guys like that are pretty fortunate, because with our fans, there’s this loyalty there, and I don’t think it’s hurt us like it’s hurt a lot of other bands. It may knock sales back 10% – 15%, or something like that…. which is a lot, but not as much as some people are effected. But then again, we have the kind of fan base that knows that we’re going to put out quality stuff. They’re going to want the album, the art, the lyrics… they want to support the band. There’s a much stronger sense of loyalty there then there is with the big mainstream stuff. So I think we’re pretty luck in that.

Zod: I’m kind of glad to hear you say that. I’ve always felt that there’s a sense of loyalty within this community, that the people who listen to the music “get it”, that the artists are trying to make a living, they’re not driving Rolls Royces. You need to buy the CDs, you need buy the t-shirts, you need to go see them live, and I always wondered if that feeling trickled up, if you will, to the artists.

Jon: Oh definitely.

Zod: That’s good to hear.

Jon: We’re in tune with what’s going on, from talking to people. It’s very obvious to me and Hansi, the difference between our fan base and some mainstream commercial act. OK, they’re selling millions of records… TODAY. Who knows what they’re going to be doing tomorrow. They don’t have a sense of loyalty, and those are the kind of guys that nobody gives a shit if their burning their CDs and ripping them off. It’s a whole different animal.

Zod: I agree. Hey, I really appreciate your time, and it seems to be the tradition to give the interviewee a shot to say anything they’d like to those who may be reading this.

Jon: I’m appreciative to all the fans, and their loyalty through the years. We look forward to seeing the fans, hopefully soon, on tour. And that’s about it.

I've read this one already...Zod sent it over before we had the RC interview section ready.

Anyway, this is funny:

Zod with wax in his ears said:
Zod: Do you plan on approaching the way you write any differently, or the way you design vocal melodies any differently, with Tim as opposed to Matt?

Zod: Singers can often be the face of the band. Their voice can be a band’s most defining characteristic to the listening audience. Before the release of “The Glorious Burden” were you at all concerned about how Iced Earth fans might perceive the new release, after Matt left?

Haha, Chris Farley style interviews > *.*

nowai-42443.jpg

neal said:
yeh, he seemed like much less of a dick in this interview than most.
Given what a big fan I am, given what I had heard about him, and given that it was my first interview, I was a bit intimidated. It's a little strange when a musician you have a great deal of fondness for calls your house. I also was worried that I might find him to be a dick, and that could impact my love for his music. Needless to say, he was very cool. His tone was never anything but friendly. And his unbridled honesty, which some may find arrogant, I found refreshing.

Zod

triplet triplet triplet chorus triplet triplet triplet chorus solo triplet triplet triplet chorus end chorus end of song

AsModEe said:
triplet triplet triplet chorus triplet triplet triplet chorus solo triplet triplet triplet chorus end chorus end of song
If only it were that simple, there would be tons of American Metal bands as sucessfull as Iced Earth. While I'll grant you the music tends to follow a formula, why fix it if it aint broke?

Zod

well, the music wasn't following that formula during the Night of the Stormrider or Burnt Offering era, but it started with DS, and it was at that period that I lost interest in Iced Earth

mind you... I still enjoy Horror Show a lot, but it's the only of the new Iced Earth era album that I like

AsModEe said:
mind you... I still enjoy Horror Show a lot, but it's the only of the new Iced Earth era album that I like
I do as well. I think it's a very underrated, if for no other reason than "Wolf", "Damien", "Dracula" and "Phantom" are four of Iced Earth's best songs.

Zod

Great interview, I really enjoyed reading it. Boy oh boy do I really long for this Demons & Wizards NYC show to become a reality. Maybe Iced Earth and Blind Guardian can finally come together to do a US tour and there can be some special D & W dates along the way (Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, NYC, etc.)