my jazz-recording. completely digital ;) just for.....

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
sorry, but this has to be....
a demo-recording i did using nothing but digital gear (dm2000 into nuendo, for guitars a 5 watt tranny combo was used).

http://lsd-tonstudio.de/sounds/Jazz Farrant.mp3

you know who i'm aiming at... ;)
it's an early christmas gift for him, because he made my day.....

feel free to critique anyway... recording (5 songs) mix and master was done in 1 day.......it's a badly edited medley,

EMG 81 -> TS 808 -> 5150 -> C4

I think I'm going out on a limb, but that's my gut feeling :p

Steve

lol:headbang:

thanks dudes.

recorded them live in one room.
had to deal with extreme flutter-echo, so i had to set up something around the drums.
other than that it was just "all in one room and go", the keys even came over the PA speakers, so there was bleeding all over the place, but that didn't matter, the never needed more than 2 takes (songs more than 5 mins each), and i didn't have to do any editing/overdubbing. some of the best musicians i ever had the pleasure to work with.

i think micing was:
keys: DI
Bass: direct (into Avalon Pre)
hats: akg 451
kick: d112 front of reso, no port
snare: sm57 or akg c1000...not sure ('bout that, not the mic ;) ), perhaps both.
Overhead: Neumann Km184 in XY i think.
Toms (in pairs): Audix D2
Git: Gibson ES 135 into small Kustom Tranny, miced with sm57 and AkgC3000.
Sax: AKG c414 XL II. (killer mic for female vox and ride, sucks for metalvox though!).

don't aim the mic towards the middle of the , how do you say, "funnel/tube", in brass instruments (other than woodwind) the actual brass/metal has a big influence on the tone, capture it, aim off-axis at the inner side of the funnel.
a pitty i got my m160 ribbon after the recording, that's a killer brass-mic.

all mics into yamaha dm2000 (crappy preamps) recorded into nuendo.
not much happend during mixdown, just some leveling and cleaning (HPF) of frequencies.

than just a tiny bit of plate rev from a m3000 on the mix (sum).
i've just been lucky to work with such good musicians, you cannot do too much wrong then.

thanks for your feedback guys, even though it's not really metal.

......oh, and i used Andy's samples on drums and c4 on guitars!:heh:

just kiddin