My latest Mix. mastered @ Studio Fredman

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hi,

Not that much of "rate my mix" because its all done and mastered but i wanted to share it either way. Tracked at my studio, mixed ITB. I would gladly share any info regarding guitars and drums etc. If people are interested i could post before master and after if someone would like that.

Its quite allot of real drums in there, there are triggers there but more for the support than being upfront in the mix.

Guitars are 5150 + XXX recorded with Engl PRo and an vintage Vox cab. Guitars where Fender Strat's that you can quite easily hear, those guitars have a crazy amount of attack :)

Vox tracked with the awesome Peluso 2247Le.

http://studiohaga.net/Helloandso.mp3

Cheers / Christian

Drums sound awesome, guitars are oddly focused on the left hand side because of the arrangement, kinda throwing things off. But those drums... fuck. Guitar tone is quite cool, too - the 5150's work great for pop punk type tones, thankfully! Vocals could've used more editing, as well - something to keep in mind for next time.

this master not killing transients is really something, at the expense of a bit of pumping, but that's unavoidable given the carefully calculated attack/release times which is letting those drums fly out of the speakers. sounds awesome, i'd also be super curious to what you sent to fredman before it got the treatment

Thnks for the comments guys!!! I Really took allot of steps forward with this production in terms of quality :).

For the drums.. Its allot of real snare there about 60-70% I got 2 samples for support and to give some more meat/fatness to the snare. And the toms are miced with sm57'is blended with DFHS.2.0. All which is send to the drum bus which has MCDSP's MC3000 + Waves SSL with 4:1 Ratio. 3 attack and 3-6release and about 4-6db's of GR. And of course allot of parallell compression with Sftube FET comp.

@ Jeff. The vocal was intentionally not edited that much ;)

I'll post a unmastered sample later today when im home.

/ Cheers

Drums sound awesome, guitars are oddly focused on the left hand side because of the arrangement, kinda throwing things off.

I disagree.. whenever the guitar is playing on the left, the drums are either playing on the floor tom or the right-side crash cymbal and it balances it out. It could be perhaps a little less-hard panned, but not centred.

I'll often pan a synth/background-lead guitar the opposite side of whatever the drums are doing. Not a fan of everything in mono (Brand New Eyes is really guilty of this IMO).

My only criticism would be some little parts on vocals are a bit out, which just a touch of pitch correction and editing would help. Everything else sounds ridiculous congrats dude

In the intro, those toms have a huge amount of tasty low-end, but as soon as they are not played, the mix seems like it's loosing all it's balls. Also the mix feels really static and the cymbals and side guitars are swindling... alot, especially the crash cymbal sounds absolutely crushed and keeps on swindling between the center and the right side of the sound imagery. I can't feel anything punching, but at least the overall tone is really pleasing.