My latest production (Hardcore)

Mago

Austrian Blech Machine
Aug 21, 2009
Vienna, Austria
I've been producing an EP with those guys, and it turned out awesome. Really digging the songs.
They've released a lyric video for one of the songs. It's the slowest one though.
Might worth to mention that all drums sounds are SD2, altho quite a bit of DAW processing.
I just wish we could at least have tracked real overheads. Maybe for a future venture.

Also my first label release which is pretty cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aggressive! This mix has some serious balls! What's the guitar chain ? :D I don't have a proper amp and I'm getting sick of using amp sims all the time haha

cheers guys, thanks for the comments!

Aggressive! This mix has some serious balls! What's the guitar chain ? :D I don't have a proper amp and I'm getting sick of using amp sims all the time haha

Thanks man!
Guitar chain is a pretty cheap Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with stock pickups into my kemper. I was sceptic of the guitar at first, but it didn't sound bad so we went with it :)

The guitar player mentioned he wanted to get into orange amps at some point in the future and so I thought I'd try something in that direction.
The only orange profile I had on it (and still have on it) was from one of the TAF ones that come stock, so I exchanged the cab to one of mine (Mesa 4x12 OS SM57) and slapped a TS in front. Worked pretty nice, but I actually have no idea what orange amp it is, or if it really was an orange for that fact :lol:
In the mix I then added another reamping pass through the same setup but different cab, to emulate dual micing. So it's essentially somewhat of that orange amp into Mesa OS and 2 sm57s.

So it's for you to decide if you want to count in the kemper as a "proper" amp. For me it does the job bloody well :D

The more I listen to Kemper stuff, the more I want to buy one :D The most difficult part I guess is to sell at least one of my amps...

Back on topic, it's a very solid mix you did there Mago! I'd tend to get a more "raw" and "dirty" drum sound but it works well as it is.

I agree with Heabow, drums sound too clean. The kick a bit too clicky. A good room sound and a raw snare to blend would do the trick.

As for the guitars, they are good, a bit on the scooped side but not bad.

The mix is good besides the aesthetic choices that I mentioned. ;)

Getting the kemper was one of the best things I did last year man. It makes my workflow so much easier and creative.

And thanks for the comments dudes!
For sure the drums could be rawer and I could have gone a bit easier on the processing, but I feel it also works good for me the way it does now.
I tried adding more room, but a "soft" room didn't really want to fit the snare tone, and more of the "original" room of the used snares was pretty cracky and I didn't dig it if it was too loud.
You wouldn't believe how much of the snare sounds comes from the room and overheads though.

As for the kick, I dig it. Maybe because I really haven't done that kind of kick in any production before...I also listened to a lot of productions and couldn't really figure out how the kick "should" sound in that type of songs.

Since the music itself has oldschool vibes and also modern stuff going on I tried to reflect that in the mix. Could have gone rawer, could also have gone even more produced and everything would have worked imo

thanks for listening! :)

As for the kick, I dig it. Maybe because I really haven't done that kind of kick in any production before...I also listened to a lot of productions and couldn't really figure out how the kick "should" sound in that type of songs.

Since the music itself has oldschool vibes and also modern stuff going on I tried to reflect that in the mix. Could have gone rawer, could also have gone even more produced and everything would have worked imo

In fact, how things should sound here or there is very subjective! So if you and the band/label think it sounds good as it is, it's all good! For hardcore stuff - and I'm far from a an expert of this style - I really fkn like what Tue Madsen do. Sick Of It All 'Based on a True Story' is my ultimate reference production wise. Sounds huge and dirty as hell! Ahah!!

cheers guys, thanks for the comments!

Thanks man!
Guitar chain is a pretty cheap Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with stock pickups into my kemper. I was sceptic of the guitar at first, but it didn't sound bad so we went with it :)

The guitar player mentioned he wanted to get into orange amps at some point in the future and so I thought I'd try something in that direction.
The only orange profile I had on it (and still have on it) was from one of the TAF ones that come stock, so I exchanged the cab to one of mine (Mesa 4x12 OS SM57) and slapped a TS in front. Worked pretty nice, but I actually have no idea what orange amp it is, or if it really was an orange for that fact :lol:
In the mix I then added another reamping pass through the same setup but different cab, to emulate dual micing. So it's essentially somewhat of that orange amp into Mesa OS and 2 sm57s.

So it's for you to decide if you want to count in the kemper as a "proper" amp. For me it does the job bloody well :D

Oh wow I have that guitar lol! haven't played it in a long time though. Thanks for the info dude! :) the kemper does sound like it's a killer!:headbang: Also wanted to ask if there was any parallel processing done in the mix?

In fact, how things should sound here or there is very subjective! So if you and the band/label think it sounds good as it is, it's all good! For hardcore stuff - and I'm far from a an expert of this style - I really fkn like what Tue Madsen do. Sick Of It All 'Based on a True Story' is my ultimate reference production wise. Sounds huge and dirty as hell! Ahah!!

What I ment with "should sound" is that I couldn't find a "common" kick sound in that genre, if that makes sense? :lol:
Since a lot of the oldschoolish stuff has very natural tones to it, it totally depends on the drummers kit. And also to me it seems that the snare is far more "important" than the kick in that kind of stuff. I could be totally wrong tho haha

Tue Madsen is a beast at what he does of course :headbang:
That sick of it all mix sounds sweet, it's more on the "metal" side of things for me. Still awesome and works perfectly, which only goes to show why it's pretty interesting to do stuff in that genre I think :D

Oh wow I have that guitar lol! haven't played it in a long time though. Thanks for the info dude! :) the kemper does sound like it's a killer!:headbang: Also wanted to ask if there was any parallel processing done in the mix?

No problem man!
No parallel compression on this, but quite a lot of parallel distortion/saturation (which is compression technically lol).
I think mostly all the shells have some sort of distortion in there blended in with the mix knob. It's not the same as setting up a send and tweak it differently, but it's essentially parallel processing.

No problem man!
No parallel compression on this, but quite a lot of parallel distortion/saturation (which is compression technically lol).
I think mostly all the shells have some sort of distortion in there blended in with the mix knob. It's not the same as setting up a send and tweak it differently, but it's essentially parallel processing.

I got the Decapitator plugin not so long ago, quite great for distorting drums and the mix knob works pretty great :)

Congrats dude. Really digging the bass. Any info?

Bass was an Ibanez SR305, tweaked the onboard eq quite a bit, can't remember how much of which pickup anymore unfo...I think it was 100% bridge, but I wouldnt bet on it. Tried quite a few variations, to get out a bit of honk on the bass itself.

From there 3 tracks:
-lo end DI
-SansAmp PSA Bombfactory Plugin into Amplitube 3 (more clanky distortion)
-only Amplitube 3 (more middy distortion)