Let Them Fail - my latest production /video shooting today

dcb

nerd
Dec 7, 2008
i just returned from the videoshoot (first time being the producer and also helping with the video, i felt like a star ;-), so id like to share my latest production im very proud of.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=885205&songID=8878084

although i never really listen to this style, it was fun working with these young guys. the drummer is 16, he is really good for that age, but i decided to go for edrums into slate/superior this time (we were on a really really low budget, so there was no time for drumquantization other than midi "hit q as hard and often as you can" quantizing. :)

guitars are diamondplate. i know the whole slate/podfarm thing gets boring to most people here, but i honestly think that its one of the most costeffective and fastest working methods for small small bands.
the hard thing was telling one of the 2 guitarplayers that he wont be playing on the songs... as i described we're on low budget and i knew he was the weak part of the band. so he came to the studio, pulled out his guitar and was like : ok lets go.
dudes didnt tell him that he was not gonna play on the album... so i had to tell him, explain the whole thing... man its so hard to tell someone hes not good enough...

recorded/produced/mixed and mastered at my place.

im especially proud of how nice everything sits. guitars are wiiidee,
vocals are 100% centered this time. they were tripletracked, and in my first mixes i had 1 hard left, 1 hard right and 1 center. i figured that i liked it wayy better to have the guitars being the only instruments on the sides (except for overheads and some fx). its almost like a tunnel now, vocals are loud enough but not overly loud. i hate vocal up mixes. makes the instruments small and boring.

masering is basically clipping the shit out of the mix. i think there were 5 instances of gclip , 2 on both snares, 1 on kick and 2 on the masterbus.

tell me what you think! it was very hard, as this band has 4 singers... whhhaaaa! :) gonna post the video in the next 2 weeks, when they release that stuff.

also for the german guys here : the singer who sings "i told you once before" and "and maybe one beatiful day" is the guy fromthe annoying congstar commercial :) saying : "absolut kati, sie telefoniert shcon 120 minuten :)"

so whatya think ?

Dude, this sounds awsome! Great job! Absolutely love the sound on the drums! The guitars are also good!

I'm gonna be a douche and ask if you can share some info on the drums. Like which samples and post processing. Or some pointers/tips about compression and eq on snare/kick/toms.

Awsome work!

What's the name of the band by the way?

Edit: I guess they're named "Let Them Fail", from the topic.

hahah! ;-) yeah they are named let them fail, hehe.

thanks buddy, appreciate it! of course i will share info on the drums, thats what this is place should be used for!

slate :
- kick 10 with no room combined with a custom kick sample (basically modelled after the devil driver kick thats available through rockband moggs // i used an voxengo curve eq and it sonds 100% like the devil driver kick ;-)
- 3 snares combined
- sn 11 (roomssd - 10db) , sn 11a (room ssd -10db) , sn 12a (room -1.5 db) // so its basically 80 % room sound from the sn12a.
- toms new maple 1-3

kicks go into 1176 ln // gclip (chopping some topend transients)

snares go into pultec with +6 db @ 10khz + 3 db @ 300 hz >> spl transient designer with +3 on attack >> gclip (clipping 100% + 2db + oversample 2x)

my main drumsound comes from the room mics, the direct mics only add punch.
love open sounding / big drumsounds. I boost the ssd roommice @ 10 khz to emphasize the room a little.

sn 11 has even more processing : here is my chain on sn 11, i guess this one is a little louder than 12 and 11a (its reads -2 db on the fader, while the other 2 snares are -6db)

dannyssettingssn11.jpg

hope that helps!

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

I really dig this production, sounds very clean.

By the way, you wrote "here is my chain on sn 11" , is there supposed to be a image or link or something or am I just reading it wrong?

Thanks once again! I'm really glad you wanted to share some info.

thanks for the nice words! anyone else? what do you say about the loudness?

First of it sounds great!!!
I think it is to loud. Sounds a little sqashed.
Guitars are missing something, but I cant put my finger on it.
It is not that podthing!!! The guitars are also fine in volume, but they missing some of that crisp mids...

Gangshouts arent timed well. Very undefined.

Drums sound great!!!

Mix collapsed in mono:)

I agree with Gabriel about the guitars, there is something missing. The stereo image sounds a bit weird also. But it´s a good mix.

Guitars are missing something, but I cant put my finger on it.

yeah, they miss creativity :)
now the band hates me, hehe.

yeah, the stereo image sounds that wide because of the wide wide guitars (msed voxengo) - i was going for guitars wayyy aside and vox straight center.unfortunately you cant have both (faar stereo field and perfect mono compatibility), this time my priority was on guitars wiiide
as in staub mixes. >>

but gabriel : in mono its still ok to my ears.
you cannever have quad tracked guitars that wide without guitars dropping in level when summed to mono. so i guess its still ok (to my ears)

kinda agree about the kick thing morgan said, maybe ill work on that.

thanks all you guys, appreciate your input, and thank you all for taking the time!

AND BTW. : to my ears, pod is always missing something - thats why i switch to axe fx in the next month!! :)

I've listened to this song too many times now, hehe.
What did you do with the pod to fit so good? Just Diamondplate - Treadplate cab U67 and then some post eq'ing?

Sounds great for the style, Danny. I'd lose some highs on the snare. It's sounding a little papery compared to the rest of the drums. Try to get a bit more low end meat in there. Boost low mids on guitars a db or two and give it one more shot.

A bit more lows on the kick wouldn't hurt either.

Production is great as usual!

thanks buddy! sorry there was just no budget this time for reamping... i really would have loved your tone on this...

im a nub but i gotta ask. (it sounds great btw, thats why im asking in this thread :D)
you say you combine samples, 2 kicks and 3 snares.
is this possible to do in 1 instance of superiordrummer/addictivedrums or do you have to make 1 extra track in your DAW for each of the additional samples?

also i cannot figure out how to add external effects to only one piece of the drumset..

its possible in kontakt to have multiple kicks /snares playing at the same time. phase coherency is absolutely crucial with this.
with snares i actually had no big problem in the past playing them thorugh kontakt and having the same plugin chain on all snares (same latency on all tracks),
but with kicks you should definately export them and align them by hand (thats why i use drumagog for this ;-), so one kick is form kontakt and the other
blends through durmagog and its aligning function.

in superior its not possible to use 2 kicks in parallel if you do not export them.