My Latest Purchases Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just bringing it up because I've listened to so much metal lately that I've not heard before or wasn't very familiar with, and a good deal of it isn't terribly original, but it's all very good.

Case in point: the new thrash. Carnal Forge, Hatesphere, The Haunted, Dew-Scented, Darkane, and more even. You'd be hard-pressed to really tell these guys apart, which some would clamor is a terrible thing. However, all those bands are really good and play their style of metal really well. I don't ever remember a time in metal history that was like this.

I've been one of the types that complains about crap music for the past several years, but my whining is aimed more at the mainstream than anything else. There is an absolute wealth of great music in the underground, but sometimes it can be very hard to find, or even hear about.

NAD said:
Kickass, and given that I ordered it from The End about an hour ago, it should be here shortly. :D

I also picked up Edge of Sanity - Spectral Sorrows.

Adrian, you'll be happy to know that Omnium Gatherum lives up to all the hype and then some. Easily the best melo-death album since Damage Done. And incredibly strong for a sophomore release as well.

NAD said:
I've been one of the types that complains about crap music for the past several years, but my whining is aimed more at the mainstream than anything else. There is an absolute wealth of great music in the underground, but sometimes it can be very hard to find, or even hear about.

That's why you're on the team now! To let people know about all the great music out there!

Oh man, I'm in thrashariffic heaven!

Just arrived:
Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Flotsam And Jetsam - Doomsday For The Deceiver
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath (remaster)
Mercyful Fate - Melissa (remaster)
Nuclear Assault - Game Over / The Plague
Overkill - Feel The Fire
Possessed - Seven Churches
Voivod - Killing Technology

markgugs said:
Oh man, I'm in thrashariffic heaven!

Just arrived:
Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Flotsam And Jetsam - Doomsday For The Deceiver
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath (remaster)
Mercyful Fate - Melissa (remaster)
Nuclear Assault - Game Over / The Plague
Overkill - Feel The Fire
Possessed - Seven Churches
Voivod - Killing Technology

I need to get that Terrorizer magazine you talk of.

markgugs said:
That's why you're on the team now! To let people know about all the great music out there!
I'm starting to spread the Royal Carnage name around, hopefully people are clicking my banner too. :Spin:

Good to hear about Omnium Gatherum, that should be arriving today.

Russell here at UM has recommended Ephel Duath, I listened to some on an Earache sampler last night, I may have to pick up some of their stuff. Any thoughts on them?

The Berzerker was on that sampler as well, what the hell is that shit!?!? I've never heard such a crappy drum machine!!!

NAD said:
I'm starting to spread the Royal Carnage name around, hopefully people are clicking my banner too. :Spin:

If you build it, they will come.

Russell here at UM has recommended Ephel Duath, I listened to some on an Earache sampler last night, I may have to pick up some of their stuff. Any thoughts on them?

If I remember Ephel, they were not too bad. I think black metal with a beat (at times). It's been awhile.

The Berzerker was on that sampler as well, what the hell is that shit!?!? I've never heard such a crappy drum machine!!!

They don't use a drum machine! That dude is insane (I think he's in the Guinness Book of World records for fastest drumming or something like that), and the only remotely interesting part about that band anyway, but it really is a live person.

markgugs said:
They don't use a drum machine! That dude is insane (I think he's in the Guinness Book of World records for fastest drumming or something like that), and the only remotely interesting part about that band anyway, but it really is a live person.
They found out it was a big scam and so he got revoked from the guinness book. :loco:

markgugs said:
I was sort of making a joke, I know it's a real person. :D It was fast, but it sounded like shit. Does he use digital drums? There's no way that was an actual bass drum. It sounded like one of those annoying trance lets-all-get-bloody-eardrums types. Either way it buried the guitar work, which wasn't bad aside from being a bit boring. Give me Pete Sandoval anyday of the week. :Spin:

had a nice surprise from theend on friday, received

Sonata Arctica - Live in Tokyo (are the Japanese metal fans the greatest, or what? they love music, pure and simple. given the slightest chance, they're chanting, singing along...I think I would love to fly to Japan and catch a few shows just to experience them.)

Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild - some more of the same elements, but there is an advancement here, some more sophisticated song structuring, with the bonus of Jens Johannsen (sp) filling in on keys

Masterplan - Enlighten Me single - only listened to this once, but first impression is somewhat ho hum, Lande is in fine voice as usual, but I think I'd rather him just stick with one band and try to advance rather than this musical chairs business. Ark was more than competent...the band includes a completely unnecessary cover of Zeppelin's Black Dog, which proves only that Lande can impersonate flawlessly any of the classic metal singers.

Warmen - Unknown Soldier - hearing this after the second one, it is obvious this is the first, less ambitious in scope but that is a relative term given Warman's ability on the keys. One of the few keyboardists I truly enjoy listening to. Of course, he announces his intentions in the insert by wearing a mozart tee...Kim Goss is an acceptable singer in this context.

p.s. I balanced out this Power Metal Mania Weekend by listening to generous doses of Evergrey.

lizard said:
Sonata Arctica - Live in Tokyo (are the Japanese metal fans the greatest, or what? they love music, pure and simple. given the slightest chance, they're chanting, singing along...I think I would love to fly to Japan and catch a few shows just to experience them.)
It's not just Japan though. It's essentially anywhere outside of America. I would say that from my experience of seeing shows outside of the US, that American audiences (on average and in comparison) are the most static and bored looking (even though they're not necessarily bored).

Actually, let me rephrase that - American audiences tend to be either wild moshers or 'arm folders' that hang at the back and just watch with beer in hand. Perhaps once in a while they might clap after the song is done. (Obviously though, this also depends on the type of music you're seeing. I'm sure there isn't a lot of sing alongs to black metal gigs regardless of where they are held).

The Japanese, South Americans, Aussies and Europeans are much more 'singalong', and like to headbang and raise their fists, and the chanting is similar to what you'd hear at a soccer stadium during the world cup.

The Brits will lay into the roadies setting up the equipment even before the band comes on, with screams of "You Fat Bastards!" over and over again. In fact, Faith No More even called one of their live albums "You Fat Bastards". heh.

NAD said:
I was sort of making a joke, I know it's a real person. :D It was fast, but it sounded like shit. Does he use digital drums? There's no way that was an actual bass drum. It sounded like one of those annoying trance lets-all-get-bloody-eardrums types. Either way it buried the guitar work, which wasn't bad aside from being a bit boring. Give me Pete Sandoval anyday of the week. :Spin:

That guys drums do sound like a big pile of dog kaka..

As far as Ephel Duath.. I didn't like the last album, but a friend of mine just sent me the latest, The Painter's Palette... that is some serious shit right there.. Sigh meets Borknagar or something....

Papa Josh said:
...but a friend of mine just sent me the latest, The Painter's Palette... that is some serious shit right there.. Sigh meets Borknagar or something....

Sigh meets Borknagar? Get the fuck out of here!

I'm only listening to Hail Horror Hail and Empiricism on an almost daily basis. Tell me more when you get a chance. Even if you don't review it, let me know if it's worth a purchase.

Still haven't picked up that Ephel Duath...

Omnium Gatherum is AMAZING, any melodic death fan should snag this IMMEDIATELY!

Status
Not open for further replies.