My Latest Purchases Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NicodemiX said:
I bought a Hate Forest TS awhile back, used from some distro. I don't know much about it except that it has the cover of "The Gates" on it, and that I haven't seen it ANYWHERE, nor has my favorite distributor who has seen pretty much everything. In any case, it must be fucking rare, and I finally got around to taking some pics:

Front/Sleeve:
Picture009sm.jpg

back image:
Picture010sm.jpg
That shirt RUUUULLLLEEEESS. My goatness. I WANT IT! :yell:

Here's all the stuff I've had in over the last week or so:

Sun of the Sleepless/Nachtmahr - I
Prophecy Productions sampler - Eerie Emotional Music

The SotS is excellent by the way, I know some of you are interested in it. A couple of the tracks feature electronics heavily, and show a different direction to the old EP but I really like them. In fact, they're probably the best 2 tracks on the album. The rest of the album, including the Nachtmahr stuff is all really quite good too. The sampler is good, but I'd heard nearly all the tracks anyway :\

Nargaroth - Black Metal ist Krieg
Finntroll - Jaktens Tidd
Nortt - Gudsforladt
Enid - Grandwanderer
Hammer of Misfortune - The Bastard
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Woods of Ypres - Pursuit of the Sun & Allure of the Earth

Little annoyed I paid $20 for the WoY seeing as it's now at The End much cheaper. I assumed it would only be available direct from David for some reason. On the first couple of listens it's awesome, but hasn't had quite the same impact as the first demo. Vocals aren't great though. Haven't listened to the rest.

And some nice rarities:

Empyrium - ...der wie ein Blitz vom Himmel fiel (v.1)
Empyrium - ...der wie ein Blitz vom Himmel fiel (v.2)
Helheim - Nidr ok Nordr liggr Helvegr
Stille Volk - Ode aux Lointains Souverains

I now have 3 different version of the Empyrium demo :cool:. According to metalprovider.com those two cassettes are v.1 and v.2. Was going to put an image up to show off, but can't be arsed to sort out web-space.

Did you know, that those demo-songs were also on their debut full-lenght (vinyl version), I bet you did, but I'm saying it anyway, heh.

Doom said:
I now have 3 different version of the Empyrium demo :cool:. According to metalprovider.com those two cassettes are v.1 and v.2. Was going to put an image up to show off, but can't be arsed to sort out web-space.

have you got the re-released version which came in a wooden box?

M.Lehto said:
Did you know, that those demo-songs were also on their debut full-lenght (vinyl version), I bet you did, but I'm saying it anyway, heh.
Yeah, I know. I want that too. I've seen one place it's available, so I'll order it soon enough. Want to end up with all the vinyls eventually.

have you got the re-released version which came in a wooden box?
Yeah, that's the other one I have. I had to join the "Prophecy Club" to get it, at the time it was released. This means they send you all their releases, so it's turning out to be quite expensive! But I like the majority of their bands anyway. It's my favourite item in my collection :cool:.

The material is fantastic for a demo too. Obviously it's probably their weakest stuff, but it's still awesome.

was out today, bought a few things from the stores I was in

Meshuggah - I
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

I went through the vinyl bins in an independent record store here but alas, no DSP Burzum, Enslaved or Mayhem releases or Posercorpse Deathcrushes :(

picked up today-
Sunn 0))) : White 2
Sunn 0))) : Flight of the Behemoth
Mastodon- Leviathan
And a quarter of Apollo 11. This shall be a night of much highness and exsquisite music.

J. said:
bought used:

Forlorn - Opus III: Ad Caelestis Aes

catchy Borknagar-ish black metal

The early Forlorn releases are pure class, check out "The Crystal Palace" if you enjoyed Opus III. Their 2003 effort, "Hybernation", is space-black-metal with lots of synth, and isn't exactly brilliant, but has got some really good moments (like "Grow City").

henrikmain said:
The early Forlorn releases are pure class, check out "The Crystal Palace" if you enjoyed Opus III. Their 2003 effort, "Hybernation", is space-black-metal with lots of synth, and isn't exactly brilliant, but has got some really good moments (like "Grow City").
I actually used to own Opus III and The Crystal Palace, but traded them off or something. I've already re-ordered The Crystal Palace, and know where to get the debut MCD.

It's nice to see someone else appreciate this band. THey aren't exactly original, but it's just well executed "catchy black metal" with Viking undertones. I look at them the same way I look at Twin Obscenity - solid 2nd tier metal.

I really have no interest in Hybernation, after reading various reviews. Sounds like the band abandoned the viking theme, and went the way of Dimmu.

J. said:
It's nice to see someone else appreciate this band. THey aren't exactly original, but it's just well executed "catchy black metal" with Viking undertones. I look at them the same way I look at Twin Obscenity - solid 2nd tier metal.

The same goes for me when it comes to Twin Obscenity, and to a certain extent Wallachia and Tidfall. I don't understand why releases like "Where Light Touches None" and "For Blood, Honour And Soil" are more or less overlooked in the metal world. "The Wanderer" from "FBHAS" is, to me, a metal anthem.

J. said:
I really have no interest in Hybernation, after reading various reviews. Sounds like the band abandoned the viking theme, and went the way of Dimmu.

They did indeed abandon the viking style, but they aren't THAT similar to Dimmu. It's not a terribly good record, though, so you aren't missing out on anything.

I love it. The vocals are all whispered, which evokes an almost ghostly ambience throughout the record. The music is slow, but not nearly in the crawling-corpse way that Skepticism is. The songs are peppered throughout with somber acoustic guitars.

Well, I've listened to it once and that's my impression. I might get more detailed about it in a review sometime (oh wait, I still have to do Sunn0))) first, dern).

Status
Not open for further replies.