My Latest Purchases Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
well apparently I said that I'm not coming back to the nevermore board anymore, so I'm gone undercover so I can satisfy my morbid curiosity to see if they're getting even MORE idiotic than they already are, or to see if ct_thrash and chromatose have returned (that's when I said that I'd return as well) yet without actually "coming back". I usually don't go on invisible mode for long periods of time so I'll eventually turn it off sometime.

Krigloch, nice guitar. Neckthru = THE FUCKING WIN.

My Ernie Ball Sterling cost me $1,270 and was a bargain. Never underestimate the powers of a finely crafted instrument. For the ultimate test, go play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard then play a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Both are nice instruments, but only one will make you dryhump it uncontrollably.

Oh yeah on the other hand, don't shun cheap instruments either. One of my bro's picked up a $99 classical guitar that has one of the sweetest tones I've ever heard. He also had to dig through a stack of about 50 to find one that was even playable though. :Spin:

Yes, if you're dedicated to playing you might as well get a good instrument. It's incredible what the difference makes. Mind you, I don't own any USA made guitars, but my 1989 Set-neck (/w scalloped heel so it has the same feeling as neck-thru) Charvel Soloist is the fucking win and easily the best instrument I've ever played (and ironically is the cheapest $$$-wise guitar I currently own).

That calls into play the whole vintage thing as well, and also the inherent magic of certain instruments. Yeah there's a lot behind a good instrument, many things which are completely intangible.

The only Fender bass that is better than my '97 American Standard P was this particular '78 Jazz Bass I played at Guitar Center Hollywood. If I had $2,800 to toss to the wind, I would've bought it. Probably cost $250 brand new. Another real fun one was an old Fender Mustang bass I played a few weeks ago, something like a 1965 in great condition, only $500. Actually, I think I need to go pick that up, they had two of them and I have $500 burning a whole in me pocket right now...

Actually I plan on my next bass to be a fretless Warwick Corvette, I'm watching a cheap one on eGay right now:

corvstd4.jpg

Best fretless I've ever played, killer growl tone without that weird balance that the Thumb bass has.

If you can play bass, you can play fretless. You just have to be more precise with the fingerings, which just takes a bit of practice. Oh man, sliding harmonics have to be the coolest thing stringed instruments can do, and they can only be accomplished on fretless instruments.

Finally got my lazy ass off to buy some blank CDs. These will keep me sane at work this weekend:

Einherjer - Norwegian Native Art
Fourwaykill - 24 Hours To Die EP
Lefay - SOS
Mercyful Fate - Melissa

And a ton of demos.

One Inch Man said:
Hey let me know what these are like, I've been interested in both for awhile but haven't heard anything.
Infidel? / Castro! is an interesting listen, though not something I can listen to with any regularity. It more of a soundscape than music, with all sorts of interesting noises mixed together to make music. I appreciate the talent involved, but as I said, it isn't an easy listen.

Dysrhythmia is one of my favorite bands and No Interference is their best release, IMO. Quite technical, jazzy hard rock/metal. If you like instrumental trios with tons of chops and a flair for writing great music, then look no further.

Of course, maybe you wanted the opinion of the person who got them, but that's my opinion on them.

found used:

Unsane - Total Destruction
Unsane - Occupational Hazard

I highly recommend these guys to fans of Today is the Day (simply for the vocals) and Helmet. Dirty NYC noise rock. Try to imagine Strap it On era Helmet (but dirtier) with Steve Austin doing vocals.

oh, and Unsane's drummer is a former Swans drummer.

jimbobhickville said:
Infidel? / Castro! is an interesting listen, though not something I can listen to with any regularity. It more of a soundscape than music, with all sorts of interesting noises mixed together to make music. I appreciate the talent involved, but as I said, it isn't an easy listen.

Dysrhythmia is one of my favorite bands and No Interference is their best release, IMO. Quite technical, jazzy hard rock/metal. If you like instrumental trios with tons of chops and a flair for writing great music, then look no further.

Of course, maybe you wanted the opinion of the person who got them, but that's my opinion on them.
Cheers. :) I also got a drunken PM from BWD saying "OMG GET INFIDEL CASTRO" in so many slurs. The best part was the subject: "u hzave yo hesat" which I think means "you have to hear" but I'm not sure.

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Twlight of the Idols vinyl, which means I listen to my CD-R copy with clear conscience. :loco:

Hahaha two weeks ago I said "no more CDs before March 2005," but I got my year-end bonus last week so fuck it I say, fuck it.

Damageplan - New Found Power
Dredg - El Cielo

Trollech aren't anything super special, basically generic pagan black metal with a little bit of a negura bunget (maybe) influence going on. Still, the 7'' EP is worth the 6 dollars :)

Status
Not open for further replies.