My Latest Purchases Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the fact that Vio-Lence's "Eternal Nightmare" hasn't been mentioned is really getting under my skin.
That and Opressing the Masses are 2 true underrated gems in thrash. Too bad that the short lived reunion did not last.

"World in a World" is such a fucking great song ...

Papa Josh said:
Seriously, this is one of the worst fucking cds I've ever had to sit through.

It just keeps going, and going and going (sludging along)
I wrote to tipton asking if I could send mine back. He said, "who do you think we are? Wal Mart?". You gotta laugh at that. :lol:

I'm going to send my copy to Chief B. I think we need a second opinion on that CD, after yours. You know, just to be objective et al. :D

lurch70 said:
That and Opressing the Masses are 2 true underrated gems in thrash. Too bad that the short lived reunion did not last.

"World in a World" is such a fucking great song ...

What are you talking about? Last I heard, very recently, the live dvd is getting wrapped up. I just saw the Oppressing the Masses/Torture Tactics reissue at my local record store yesterday..

They are working on new material as we speak..

Papa Josh said:
Seriously, this is one of the worst fucking cds I've ever had to sit through.

It just keeps going, and going and going (sludging along)

This coming from a guy who openly admits liking pop bubble gum metal like Soilwork.

lurch70 said:
Like I mentioned to Dream in a past thread most of you should have your journalistic license revoked and your credibility is geting real thin by admitting that either you never heard or heard in limited doses such bands as DEATH, MEGADETH or SEPULTURA.

I've heard everything from Death, all Megadeth except the newest one and Killing is my Business, and all Sepultura from Beneath the Remains to Roots.

Megadeth is OK, but I don't understand all the hoopla. Sure Friedman can play, but solos get on my nerves after a while, and Mustaines vocals are irritating. Other than a few songs, they are nothing special. ALthough Holy Wars is fucking great.

Sep's best moment was Arise, and that was released in what, 1990? 1991? Ever since then they were inching closer to a more subdued sound. Max's nu-metal tendencies started creeping in, ultimately taking form in Soulfly. I did enjoy CHaos A.D., but thought Roots pretty much blew.

Barring Chuck's legendary status and his impact. Death never did anything for me. Human was good, as was Symbolic, but again, I'm not a fan of solos. Death is in the same group as Morbid Angel with me. I acknowledge their impact and influence, but the students have overcome the teachers.

That being said, I'm going to go listen to Goatsblood and Watchmaker. No bubble gum metal or solos here.

What are you talking about? Last I heard, very recently, the live dvd is getting wrapped up. I just saw the Oppressing the Masses/Torture Tactics reissue at my local record store yesterday..

They are working on new material as we speak..
They were around summer time, until Phil Demmel turned around and joined Flynn in Machine Head.

Vio is done .. they called it quits again.

Dreamlord said:
I'm not a fan of solos
You know, when I was younger, I thought I only loved guitar solos because I could play guitar. I thought I could appreciate the craftmanship more than the 'non-musician' perhaps. But then it dawned on me that even non-guitarists were loving metal solos. Generally, I find people can talk about guitar solos until they're blue in the face - it's intrinsic to metal

I know you think solos are overrated, but that's what Metallica said in support of St Anger. I fucking hate that - albums like Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning would not be the same without those solos - whether they were written by Mustaine or Hammet. Don't you think?

Max's nu-metal tendencies started creeping in,
It's funny you mention that as I feel Sepultura as much as it revolutionized thrash also had a heavy hand ... actually almost single handedly started this "jumpdafuckup" ... nu-metal sound. I cannot honestly really think of another band that were before them ...

Dreamlord said:
This coming from a guy who openly admits liking pop bubble gum metal like Soilwork.

Look dude, if a song is good, I could give two shits if it's pop bubble gum or crusty black metal, I'll like it.

However, Goatsblood do not know how to construct a song and would rather cling to the scraps of Eyehategod. EHG did it better, end of story.

At least I openly admit my pleasures. Who knows what you're hiding.. :tickled:

And how you and npearce can put this band on such a pedestal is beyond this metalhead, who prefers talent and musicianship to a bunch of fucking morons bashing out two chord noise that 12 year olds are creating in a hot, smelly garage somewhere.

Solos are a HUGE part of metal and if you aren't down with it, then maybe YOUR credentials should be checked.

lurch70 said:
It's funny you mention that as I feel Sepultura as much as it revolutionized thrash also had a heavy hand ... actually almost single handedly started this "jumpdafuckup" ... nu-metal sound. I cannot honestly really think of another band that were before them ...
That's the hardcore creeping in. Although I love Sepultura, I will always appreciate them more for everything they did up until Arise. This is when they were dark and shattering. After that, it's all a bit 'jumpy jumpy' at times, yeah.

Andreas Kisser is the epitome of wasted talent in the current version of Sepultura. Again, not saying they're bad as such, just saying that their innovation in stuff like Schizophrenia or BTR has rarely been matched in the thrash world, and he should at least be doing side projects that resemble some of the older material. This is the same man who was once in Pestilence for crissakes. I put it down to apathy.

Oh, and even Arise was a 'continuation' of BTR, albeit incredible.

Oh, and even Arise was a 'continuation' of BTR, albeit incredible.
I agree, to me Arise was just BTR part 2 ... was always surprised at the praise it received when BTR is a much more consistent record. I think it's because the MTV kids picked up on them around Arise.

The leap from Morbid Visions to Schizophrenia was incredible though.

Speaking of Morbid Visions ... I wrote to Sepultura back then on how to get the record. They were on Cogumelo records back in those days with no distribution here. Max wrote back personally asking me if I had any Kreator or Slayer records I can trade with him for Morbid Visions as they could not take any money in the mail in Brazil ... lol. I wish I still had that letter somewhere ... classic.

As far as Kisser being in Pestilence ... have my doubts about that one as well.

I correspond with Demmel and that's not what I've heard. He's in both groups.
I stand corrected then ... but on another board i used to hang out on the word is different. And these guys know Vio personally ... all Bay Area guys.

I sure hope you are right though

lurch70 said:
I stand corrected then ... but on another board i used to hang out on the word is different. And these guys know Vio personally ... all Bay Area guys.

I sure hope you are right though

I do too...

Hell, though, in this age of fast info., I could be behind.
Looks like an e-mail to Demmel is in order.

Will get back with official word.

Status
Not open for further replies.