My Latest Purchases Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
lurch70 said:
Unmoored - Cimmerian

Unmoored - Kingdoms of Greed

Unmoored - Indefinite Soul-Extension
Heh heh - I've hyped up Unmoored to NAD a little. Odds are he'll like them very much. Have a feeling he might place an order with code666 just like this one day... :)

Esoteric - The Pernicious Enigma - DCD - (Aesthetic Death)
Ondskapt - Draco sit Mihi Dux - CD - (Selbstmord)
Morrigan - Enter the Sea of Flames - CD - (Barbarian Wrath)
Krohm - Crown of the Ancients - MCD - (Selbstmord)
Order From Chaos - Stillbirth Machine/Crushed Infamy - CD - (Osmose)

sorry, only good stuff

I am very interested in Unmoored, but I'd like a few more people to tell me what they think. I know lurch likes them, and he wasn't wrong about Suffocation or SLayer, so one more person's positive reaction will probably convince me.

Dreamlord said:
I am very interested in Unmoored, but I'd like a few more people to tell me what they think. I know lurch likes them, and he wasn't wrong about Suffocation or SLayer, so one more person's positive reaction will probably convince me.
Hoh. NAD's reviewing it. As soon as it came in the mail, it was barking out at me, "NAD NAD NAD"...and off it went to its rightful owner, wagging tail et al.

Just ordered from Willowtip:

Vader - De Profundis
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenfris
Rune - The End of Nothing
Incantation - Blasphemy

Evilmusic.com are having serious problems with their internal server so I'll have to wait even longer for my Carpathian Forest. :(

Well the first one Cimerrian is the most different of the 3 releases, almost punk sounding in lyrics and music. Definetelly NOT representative of the other two releases.

Kingdoms of Greed is in line with the new one (which is a must own)

The first 2 are out of print, got them on Ebay, ... if you guys want the new Unmoored .. code has it in their webstore along with a Free copy of the 2 disc code compilation.

I somehow doubt any of you will be dissapointed with this ...

Dreamlord said:
I know lurch likes them, and he wasn't wrong about Suffocation or SLayer....
Dream - why did you need a recommendation for Slayer man? Needing a recommendation for Slayer is the equivalent of needing someone to tell you how good Death or Emperor are! :cool:

I needed a recommendation for Slayer because I don't like thrash at all. Metallica, Megadeth, ANthrax, Pantera all bore me

Chances are you'll enjoy Lykathea Aflame. Hmmm, hope you like Rune, but I don't know.

And for the record, I never could get into Death either.

Dreamlord said:
Metallica, Megadeth, ANthrax, Pantera all bore me
Pantera? Thrash? Urrrgh. Anthrax and Megadeth ain't exactly the cream of the thrash crop either. Try Dark Angel, Forbidden, Testament, Exodus, Death Angel, Sodom, Kreator, Destruction, early Sepultura...

I don't really like Death much either. I have Individual Thought Patterns and it's, well, OK. The stuff I've heard from Scream Bloody Gore is much better though. ZOMBIE!!! RITUAAAAAAARGHL

What are these blasphemous mutterings I'm hearing??

Chuck Schuldiner was/is a genius, from Scream... all the way to Control Denied, the band that almost had Warrel Dane. Motherfuck, that would've been awesome...

Anyways, I kinda agree with Erik. All of the bands you listed are right up there, along with Vio-lence, Coroner, etc.

But I think Dream just can't get into thrash.

Has anyone heard this new sountrack Svidd Negar, music by Ulver?

I want some feedback on it if possible.

Latest purchases:

Living Colour- Colideoscope (AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME)
Edge Of Sanity- Crimson II
Zyklon- Aeon (brilliant!!!)

Getting the latest from Akercocke this coming up week!!!!

Erik said:
Anthrax and Megadeth ain't exactly the cream of the thrash crop either.
Well, it's difficult to deny the genius of what Megadeth did up until Rust in Peace. Peace Sells....itself is a masterpiece. How familiar are you with it? If you could only have seen "Wake Up Dead" played live. Holy moly.

Anthrax I never got into - although I like State of Euphoria.

Try Dark Angel, Forbidden, Testament, Exodus, Death Angel, Sodom, Kreator, Destruction, early Sepultura...
Have to say, I think Dark Angel sound a little dated. Very 80's ish, just like Overkill perhaps.

Death Angel were eons ahead of their time (considering they could have gone the tried and tested route just like their peers). Thank god for the reunion.

Kreator just get better - I mean, Violent Revolution is probably one of my fave thrash records of all time, and I have plenty. I'll go to the Nile show on Tuesday primarily for them.

Sepultura? No shit man, by far one of my favorite artists of all time.

JayKeeley said:
Have to say, I think Dark Angel sound a little dated. Very 80's ish, just like Overkill perhaps.
I don't get this. I mean, if "Darkness Descends" sounds dated then "Reign in Blood" sounds fucking ancient. "Darkness Descends" was amazingly ahead of its time and very much holds up today in my opinion. I'm still trying to get my head around "Leave Scars" and "Time Does Not Heal"... I've learned to enjoy at least the two first tracks on each, but they're not exactly easy albums to digest. 9 songs, 246 riffs...

Erik said:
I don't get this. I mean, if "Darkness Descends" sounds dated then "Reign in Blood" sounds fucking ancient. "Darkness Descends" was amazingly ahead of its time and very much holds up today in my opinion. I'm still trying to get my head around "Leave Scars" and "Time Does Not Heal"... I've learned to enjoy at least the two first tracks on each, but they're not exactly easy albums to digest. 9 songs, 246 riffs...
Well, what I meant was, Darkness Descends sounds dated because of it's production values. And the comparison to Overkill was mentioned because it has the same type of production as Horrorscope. Both albums are good, but the production is enough to have me walking away from both of them.

In truth, I only have Darkness Descends, and by that alone, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to get more Dark Angel. Indeed, I would go for Kreator, Slayer, Sepultura, Testament, and the almighty Death Angel before I reach for more Dark Angel.

But after your post, I'll probably pull Darkness Descends out and give it another try or two. :p

the almighty Death Angel
They just got singed to Nuclear Blast a few weeks ago, so expect some new stuff from them soon.

Otherwise this thread has been pure blasphemy and full of embarassing admissions for the last 10 or so posts.

Like I mentioned to Dream in a past thread most of you should have your journalistic license revoked and your credibility is geting real thin by admitting that either you never heard or heard in limited doses such bands as DEATH, MEGADETH or SEPULTURA.

These bands are the founding blocks of todays extreme music. So when you review some crud like Goatsblood and such ... these bands in some form or another should be in the back of your mind. You should have heard the complete catalogs, not just snippets of those bands.

It's like a journalist for Rolling Stone magazine admitting never having heard Zeppelin ... it just would not fly ... you know what I mean?

I am kidding but most likely NOT :)

lurch70 said:
They just got singed to Nuclear Blast a few weeks ago, so expect some new stuff from them soon.

Otherwise this thread has been pure blasphemy and full of embarassing admissions for the last 10 or so posts.

Like I mentioned to Dream in a past thread most of you should have your journalistic license revoked and your credibility is geting real thin by admitting that either you never heard or heard in limited doses such bands as DEATH, MEGADETH or SEPULTURA.

These bands are the founding blocks of todays extreme music. So when you review some crud like Goatsblood and such ... these bands in some form or another should be in the back of your mind. You should have heard the complete catalogs, not just snippets of those bands.

It's like a journalist for Rolling Stone magazine admitting never having heard Zeppelin ... it just would not fly ... you know what I mean?

I am kidding but most likely NOT :)

:tickled:

Who said they never heard of Death?????

As far as Dark Angel, "Time Does Not Heal" is still to this day one of the all time best fucking thrash records out there and if you don't have it then you might as well be listening to the latest Limp Bizkit record for all I care...

Overkill is another band that I have every last cd. Sure, some moments are much better than others... but The Years of Decay destroys everylast cd Dave Buttstaine ever released.

Forbidden should've been huge.

And the fact that Vio-Lence's "Eternal Nightmare" hasn't been mentioned is really getting under my skin.

Without thrash, there would be no death, no black.

That concludes my first Thrash Metal 101 lecture.

And for the record, Goatsblood sucks the bloody dingleberrys from my rupturing hemorrhoids. :puke:

Status
Not open for further replies.