My mastering is really killing my snare

is anyone else having hard times getting Gclip to work, everything my wrapper wraps gives me Access Violations when i try to open them in pro tools, I have some mixes to finish and With all this Hype on Gclip i just want it to work, any suggestions?
I also use a limiter on my master, I hate it. But it let's me get some more volume

Best of luck with your issue

I've never seen an access violation opening plug-ins, mostly importing audio.
Usually if pro tools gives you the error, it has something to do with either the file itself or one of the folders it is contained in being set to read only or no access, you want them to be read and write. You can check by selecting the file or folder and hitting apple I or get info in the finder, and it's in the ownership and permissions tab towards the bottom, at least on a mac. I would check the actual plugs and all the folders and sub folders in the path. Might be worth trying deleting the digidesign databases as well, although that's probably not it

I had my limiter on the wrong setting. Anyone got a gun?
Basically, it was on "Advanced" which is where it tries to balance the mix taking it off the peak which pisses on your transients, i usually have it on "clip" where it works more like a clipper (go figure) which lets everything come through just as it is in the mix. What a dick.

I have a similar problem......after I master, I lose some bits of quieter stuff, such as some hi-hat clicks or a breath before a scream that I really liked in there. Maybe I just dont know exactly how to use the limiter along with gclip and compression? I want to post a mix for you guys but last time I did I really didnt get any responses. I'm afraid I worked too hard on a 3 song demo, and feel maybe I'm trying to achieve results that are impossible to get with the gear I have.

I have a similar problem......after I master, I lose some bits of quieter stuff, such as some hi-hat clicks or a breath before a scream that I really liked in there. Maybe I just dont know exactly how to use the limiter along with gclip and compression? I want to post a mix for you guys but last time I did I really didnt get any responses. I'm afraid I worked too hard on a 3 song demo, and feel maybe I'm trying to achieve results that are impossible to get with the gear I have.

....or maybe you (and I mean a general "you") don't know how to master very well, and/or your mixes aren't up to snuff. That's usually what happens to me :(

How loud do you guys mix? I am usually aiming at an individual track level to hit about -6db for Kick, Snare, guitars and bass.

Just recently stumbled on the migraine reliever that is GClip - works excellent on Snare.

....or maybe you (and I mean a general "you") don't know how to master very well, and/or your mixes aren't up to snuff. That's usually what happens to me :(

yeah, you are most likely 100% correct. This 3 song demo took us like 3 months to actually complete. Finally put finishing touches on it yesterday and got it sounding a bit better, but its not nearly as good as what I hear in my head. I almost went insane trying to mix and master it....first time recording a whole band. what an experience!