My new year's resolution: to learn this solo

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Expect this thread to be bumped before the end of 2012 (hopefully before the end of all life as we know it, for that matter :danceboy: ) with a youtube video of me playing the solo at 2:42 in the video below, because it honestly is one of the greatest I have ever heard (and as an unabashed aficionado of the wailing guitar solo, I've heard a lot of 'em haha) - the phrasing is perfect IMO, especially that fucking climactic sextuplet run leading up to the lick way up the fretboard at the end :headbang:

Disclaimer: I've not even seen a second of this show, and don't even know a thing about its premise - but a friend played me the theme, and I haven't been able to stop listening to it for like 2 years :lol: So good when it all kicks in, and here's a higher quality excerpt of the solo, where you can really hear the detail in the note choice, the precision and expressiveness in the picking/vibrato; whoever that Japanese session player was that they got to track this, he is a total master of the instrument :worship:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say I understand your obsession with this solo. I mean it's nice and there's no doubt the guitarist knows what he is doing but I think it's kinda generic and unmemorable and also too short. Anyway, good luck, I'm sure you'll nail it.

just like countless other good solos from asian guitarists, this totally has written Schenker, Roth all over it.
unbelievable how two guys can unfold such a large influence.....

time for the "stay cool while bending lesson" :Spin:

Thanks for the encouragement guys, and yeah, I figured some might not get why I dig it so much, but I dunno, to me it's like a perfect concise 8 bars of premeditated, awesomely phrased wailing, so the length if anything is a plus to me (I love a good extended solo, but in my own stuff I usually try to keep it quality over quantity, though certainly not saying the two have to be mutually exclusive!

That is one of the greatest guitar solos you've ever heard? haha...I mean I can't fault it, it's a good solo but...Seems like you should revisit some White Lion, Dokken, Sykes Whitesnake, Nocturnal Rites, Skolnick Testament..

Hmm....I feel that this forum is a missing a "post ruling guitar solos" thread hahaha.

Good luck with the solo, I am sure it will not take you a year to be ripping that up.

Hahaha, its cool that it speaks to you. I think everybody can relate to really liking something and not having anyone else get the appeal.

On the topic of "Wailing Guitar Solos" I quite like all four in this song. Might be wrong here, but I think the order is Luthaker/Beck/Slash/Vai. I know its a joke song, but I've always thought they were all quite good.

That is one of the greatest guitar solos you've ever heard? haha...I mean I can't fault it, it's a good solo but...Seems like you should revisit some White Lion, Dokken, Sykes Whitesnake, Nocturnal Rites, Skolnick Testament..

Hmm....I feel that this forum is a missing a "post ruling guitar solos" thread hahaha.

Good luck with the solo, I am sure it will not take you a year to be ripping that up.

Gotta say that Nocturnal Rites has some epic talent, and I love some of the phrasing on solos, but musically (in terms of whole songs) they do absolutely nothing for me, and I love power metal (Helloween, Blind Guardian, Edguy, Gamma Ray, etc. etc.). Care to recommend an album to check out? Maybe I just haven't gotten the right one.

I'd have to say that on band that has consistently impressed me with leads (as well as overall) is Wolf. Just an amazing band that deserves more recognition than they get. Amazingly catchy, great songs, bitching leads, they really have everything going for them. They can go from effortlessly rocking more traditional power/traditional metal stuff to glam rock/hard rock swagger, and it all sounds equally good and authentic.

You really can't go wrong picking up any of their last four albums. All amazing in their own way. Legions of Bastards is the newest one and is one of the catchiest albums I have ever heard.

Garrett (that's you on facebook, right? Just making sure :D), I'll check out those Wolf vids tomorrow, and the Spinal Tap one was pretty sweet, though it sounded like the Luke and especially Vai were really holding back, and wtf was that (Jeff?) Beck solo, my god :lol: Slash's was the best IMO!

Brandon, thanks for the encouragement dude - I gotta tell ya, this vid:

And this one, despite the extreme IA-isms ;)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zeyAW9rpvo&feature=related[/ame]

are honestly some of the most impressive bits of guitar playing I've ever seen, mainly because not only is there speed and technique, but also absolute control over the phrasing, rhythm, and vibrato; genuinely inspiring! :headbang:

After linking to those two vids of the freakin' 20-year-old wunderkind up there, I'm almost embarassed to report that I've established my current baseline top speed at 85 bpm for that penultimate alternate-picked sextuplet run - the song is at 115 bpm, so I think 30 is doable!

Garrett (that's you on facebook, right? Just making sure :D), I'll check out those Wolf vids tomorrow, and the Spinal Tap one was pretty sweet, though it sounded like the Luke and especially Vai were really holding back, and wtf was that (Jeff?) Beck solo, my god :lol: Slash's was the best IMO!

Yep. Give the Wolf a try on a long car ride if possible (buying the CDs is worth it :D). Epic driving music.

Gotta say that Nocturnal Rites has some epic talent, and I love some of the phrasing on solos, but musically (in terms of whole songs) they do absolutely nothing for me, and I love power metal (Helloween, Blind Guardian, Edguy, Gamma Ray, etc. etc.).

Sorry for the OT Marcus.

Nocturnal Rites is a diamond in powermetal shinning over most of the bands.
One of the most underrated bands ever. I discovered them in 1995 since IATOBAF and it is probably one of my favorite bands. Great guys.

Nocturnal FTW!

Marcus, curious to hear your rendition of it when you get up to speed. You'll get the sextuplet thing in no time. You've got good, solid picking. Though, I think I'd rather you take a swing at Lynch's "Into The Fire" solo (probably my favorite Lynch solo, if not all time favorite solo).

And after watching those two vids of Brandon...I think I'll just cover my guitars with sheets and leave them in the corner for the next generation. :lol: