My petition for changes to the forum

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
To quote Shadow Walker:

345345 subforums and heavy moderation would suck hard.
Just break the Rate my mix/tone into these or similar three and be done with it:
Rate my Mix
Rate my Song
Tone Tests

Out of all the suggestions in the bitching thread, I thought this one was the best, so I just wanted to put it in its own thread and hopefully get some approval/support so it can happen!

Oh, and this I wanted to mention too:

I am a hobbyist. So I will have to lay down a few tracks, go to the "hobbyist" part of the forum, post my mix, check in a few days, see it has 2 replies with hundreds of looks, and those 2 replies are from other hobbyists just like myself saying, sounds good dude, but I cant say much as I am only a hobbyist to. While the people that are actually great at what they are doing are hanging in the "Pro" section. Hhhmmm. So I decide I cant get enough info that I need to go forward, so I step up and post in the Pro section, and then I would be told to go and post in the Hobbyist section. Clusterfuck and confusing!:heh:

Yup, I too worry about this, I'm definitely a hobbyist in attitude but to me that only means I have zero desire to do this professionally, I still want my stuff to sound as good as possible, so the input of pros is much appreciated!

Basically though, I just wanted to start this thread to try to organize ideas for positive changes, now that everyone (hopefully) got all the bitching out of the way! ;)

Yeah, I'd be down with that, as long as they pretty much kept it to moving threads, and were very sparing with deletion/banning! (for example, I think it's too much to want mods to just strike down and delete any thread remotely deemed n00b)

Yeah that wouldn't be acceptable, but within reason, least we know there would be a quick and easy way to get rid of any persistant frog faces.

I'd be fine with just splitting the Rate my Mix foum into modelling (drums and guit) and real recordings.

also we need a mod that's online often enough and mercyless enough to ban tools and trolls.

I'm pretty sure SocialNumb wouldn't afraid of banning tools and trolls, but IIRC, you (SocialNumb) said you wouldn't really wanna be a mod in that other thread right?

EDIT : And yeah, Marcus should be a mod. +1 to that.

Haha, well thanks guys, I appreciate it, and I certainly would be happy to if it was offered (and think I could do a good, fair job) - but in no way am I gonna personally gonna push for it, cuz something tells me not everyone would be as crazy about the idea ;)

I am god, for i withhold the infinite glorious wisdom of the universe!
I APPROVE OF THIS THREAD!

I'd be fine with just splitting the Rate my Mix foum into modelling (drums and guit) and real recordings.

also we need a mod that's online often enough and mercyless enough to ban tools and trolls.

I know it's a lame thing to do but I'll quote myself
Two thumbs up for an additional forum... BUT, I'd strongly suggest the division is based on results and ambitions rather than tools used. A pro mix can be done with 100% impulses and samples and an amateur mix can be done with real drums and cabs. The general attitude towards recording should be of major significance, in my opinion.
For example, I don't think it's fair to write off Joey for using modelling and slate drums since he puts an enormous amount of effort and detail into his work. Another example: most of us know Ermz is also one of the really dedicated guys yet he had to resort to impulses for a mix, does that make him an instant amateur? I'm not trying to justify myself for using impulses and samples (whenever possible I always go for the real thing, especially with drums) it's just that I'd like the division to be as fair and meaningful as possible and not dictated by some hatred towards using impulses, etc. (if that is the case).

I'm pretty sure SocialNumb wouldn't afraid of banning tools and trolls, but IIRC, you (SocialNumb) said you wouldn't really wanna be a mod in that other thread right?

EDIT : And yeah, Marcus should be a mod. +1 to that.

I would be ok with it if I wasn't expected to go through every thread with a fine tooth comb. It's the finger pointing that puts me off.

I +1 Marcus as well. He seems very level headed and kind. Most likely he will make the right choices. Plus his name is on my sig. ;)