My song "Burbank" mixed and mastered.

McLowery

Feb 6, 2008
I wrote this song to contribute to this years Randy Rhoads CD Project. "Burbank" was tracked and mixed with Reaper 3 and I even mastered it with Reaper. I was really impressed by version 3. I play all guitars and the bass. The drums I did with AD and in Reaper's MIDI editor. I used my Peavey Vandenberg Custom with Guitarheads active PUP set.

Enjoy:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7735536

Oh, dude, although I'm not into this style of music, melodies are pretty sweet.
But still I must admit you should do something with kick and snare. I think kick has too much lows, therefore maybe you should use Drumagog or Aptrigga and replace AD samples with something like Andy Sneap's samples.
What was the guitar effects chain?
And yeah, Reaper 3 is fucking sick shit! Because of it I've forgotten my Nuendo 3:cry:

Oh, dude, although I'm not into this style of music, melodies are pretty sweet.
But still I must admit you should do something with kick and snare. I think kick has too much lows, therefore maybe you should use Drumagog or Aptrigga and replace AD samples with something like Andy Sneap's samples.
What was the guitar effects chain?
And yeah, Reaper 3 is fucking sick shit! Because of it I've forgotten my Nuendo 3:cry:

Thanks a lot for reminding me about Drumagog. I am having low end issues and I didn't think about sample replacement. I'm very into Reaper 3. It is so much easier on resources than SX3 and Nuendo. Those guys have done their homework in the programming department.

My effects chain on the rythym guitars I had Starplug's gate, Nick Crow preamp emulator, Voxengo's PristineSpace for my cabs.

My lead effects chain had PSP 84 digital delay and Vaccumsound's ADT plug and Nyquist EQ.

Thanks for the advice and the kind words.

The guitars sound very nice and the performance is great, but the drum sound is by no means as professional sounding as the rest of the mix. It sounds like you're over compressing them as a whole and not working individually track by track. AD can do much better than this. Maybe you ought to post raw tracks for us to have a shot at mixing. If you're uncomfortable with that, tell us what you ARE doing and we'll tell you how to fix it.

The guitars sound very nice and the performance is great, but the drum sound is by no means as professional sounding as the rest of the mix. It sounds like you're over compressing them as a whole and not working individually track by track. AD can do much better than this. Maybe you ought to post raw tracks for us to have a shot at mixing. If you're uncomfortable with that, tell us what you ARE doing and we'll tell you how to fix it.

LOL Well I can tell you now you aren't going to be happy with my attempt at using the native mixer and compressor in AD, tracked to a stereo track. I was thinking I had a solid sounding drum mix and said fuck it when I went to drop AD to separate tracks and just mixed them down to a single track. :heh: So let me do this, I'll track AD to separate tracks for each drum and OH Room and Bus. Then I'll post it for you to take another listen. Thanks for the honest suggestion. It put a fire under my ass and I needed that.. lol

Hey bro, I updated the sound click version above to where I have the drums at currently. I think they are a lot better. Dumping them to single tracks is a must I have now learned.. lol If you want to listen to the other version to compare, it's linked below.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/8/1330598/Burbank(Waves_L3_Ozone3).mp3

Thanks!