My studio build...hopefully weekly update!

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
After months of planning, things are really happening. I'm building my studio, mostly because me (and my wife) both have music as our main hobby. We need a solid room that properly soundproofed. For the control I will be converting the garage, and for my live room I will need to build a new building. As you can see in the photos I allready have most of my insulation ( 140 m2 / 70 packs (40 kilo!! each). Today I started moving them to my messy shed, where I will stock them, I now have 26 done, once I get all 70 into place I can start working on converting my garage to my control room. Next week the first groundwork will start for the foundation of the live room. There will be 2 buildings instead of 1, because of building licences...blablabla...sucks but it will work through video / tv connection. Anyhow enough with the jibajaba..here are the pics and more info:

First my shed packed with 26 packs of insulation allready:
P1010284.JPG

Control room dimension: 3.5 x 5 meter = 17.5 m2 ( height is 2.70 )
Here is the before pic, and what it should get to. In the 3D model you see a the backwall will be actually extended to the backwall.
control-1.jpg

control-2.jpg

P1010285.JPG

P1010286.JPG

P1010287.JPG

Overview of the garden, there will be a 10 meter walk between the control & live room.
Live room dimensions: 4.5 x 6.5 meter = 29,25 m2 ( height: 3 meter )
P1010289.JPG

P1010291.JPG

Will have the sketchup of the inside almost finished...outside is pretty much set:
Studio.jpg

I've allready got a curious neighboor:
P1010297.JPG

Another view of the currently still fully stock garage ( another 44 packs of insulation & 40 sheets of 20mm MDF to move to my shed...pfff )..
P1010302.JPG

As for some of the guys might be interested in my wall construction:
It will be a 2 leaf design.
1st Leaf: Single brick wall ( 5cm x 10cm x 20cm ) | 20MM concrete plaster | 12 MM Gypsum | 20 MM MDF | 12 Gypsum
2nd Leaf: Gypsum 12mm | Gypsum 12mm | Insulation 10cm (150kg/m3)

Once I have the foundation ready / walls up and main construction finished I will tidy up the garden, till then, it will get messy anyway!

Very nice! The dimensions (and especially the control room skechup) are very similar to what I'm planning :)
Who did the sketchup of the controlroom? Did you get help from the John Sayers Forum?

Very excited to get more informations on the construction and especially the planning of everything!

Very nice! The dimensions (and especially the control room skechup) are very similar to what I'm planning :)
Who did the sketchup of the controlroom? Did you get help from the John Sayers Forum?

Very excited to get more informations on the construction and especially the planning of everything!

I've actually just studied a lot of the studios created by John Sayers forum members, and his studio builds. Looked at all the comments, and went ahead with this. I actually just started to use Sketchup and thought I'd manage to "get it" while I would be working with it. It's actually a really easy programme, took me about half an hour to understand the basics.

Offcourse I did not forget to buy an thorougly read Rod Gervais' book, I think I've now read it 2 times completelly, with certain parts allready more then 10 times, just to get the proper information, making notes etc.etc.

How are you going to manage working in the shed in the summer? I imagine it could get really hot in there
And why does the control room not completely fill the shed up? Whats the empty space for?
And could you tell me which insulation you bought?

Nice thread! And good luck with constructing everything :headbang:

How are you going to manage working in the shed in the summer?
Having and airfreshning installation & airco.

Whats the empty space for?
Was supposed to be storage, but as I mentioned there..the new design changed a bit so the backwall of the c-room is now extended into that "empty space".

And could you tell me which insulation you bought?
Just the heaviest one I could find for a reasonable price. This once came at 4.5 euro per m2 and is 150kg/m3.

Nice thread! And good luck with constructing everything :headbang:

Thanks man! I'll be working my ass off the next couple of months (maybe even year)..

Looks pretty epic...even if the space isn't that big. Best of luck with it and keep us updated :headbang:

Just the heaviest one I could find for a reasonable price. This once came at 4.5 euro per m2 and is 150kg/m3.

Whoa that is super cheap :OMG:
Only stuff I found that is suitable for the traps I want costs ~15€ per m² (~70kg/m³; Homatherm flexCL) :erk:
Could you recommend any other (cheaper but still heavy) insulation?

Whoa that is super cheap :OMG:
Only stuff I found that is suitable for the traps I want costs ~15€ per m² (~70kg/m³; Homatherm flexCL) :erk:
Could you recommend any other (cheaper but still heavy) insulation?

Well I was really lucky with my batch. The company I got it with was bankrupt, and everything was up for auction. I snatched it for a very fair price (for my wallet then...)..

Next week I'll be in a building market in Germany ( It's just a 1.5 minute drive to the border ) and I'll check out what you guys have available there.

Very kewl!! Your build is gonna be better than mine!!
:cry:
But I'm still excited for ya!
I hope that everything goes well, Sir.
You've had some great input for me ... can't wait to see how yours comes along!
Take care

Scott

Very kewl!! Your build is gonna be better than mine!!
:cry:
But I'm still excited for ya!
I hope that everything goes well, Sir.
You've had some great input for me ... can't wait to see how yours comes along!
Take care

Scott

My first build was a small place also. 4 x 3 meter!!!!!! I learned a lot from that, and now took my advantage and taking it to the next level with my new build! :)..

I regularly will keep checking up on your thread also, because I'm also really curious how your build is going to develop! Every studio build is interesting to me.

Haha, why did that nature look familiar to me ;) Too bad you live pretty far away from me, it would have been awesome if i could visit you and take a look.

It looks good already, you have any preview of the live room?

would be awsome if you could extend the walls behind you so you could fit a small drum kit

The place I'm building next to it will have a possibility to record large drum kits. There will be a cable duct between the 2 buildings & also video + camera & talkback connection between the rooms.

Been busy getting everything out of my shed....psss that's some hard work...a total of 3000 kilograms...pff I'm sweating.