My Testament/Slipknot Paper (Analyzing Metalfest and Jager Tour)

burymeinsmoke

New Metal Member
Apr 10, 2004
NY
I wrote this report for my rock music class at college (SUNY Buffalo), the teacher gave me an A+. I wanted to see what you all thought, hope you enjoy!

Analyzing Testament and Slipknot Shows

Testament and Slipknot are two unique bands that are at the forefront of their respective genres. Testament originally formed back in 1983, (under the name Legacy) descended from the bay area thrash scene. Featuring guitar virtuoso Alex Skolnik and the deeply poetic vocals of Chuck Billy, Testament followed in the footsteps of Metallica and Exodus by bringing the sound and energy of Heavy Metal to a new intensity, while remaining exceedingly down-to-earth in attitude. Twenty years later, they still maintain their legacy as one of the most influential thrash metal bands, and are writing new material for their next album (have released 8 studio albums, the last was “The Gathering” released in 1999 which featured Slayer’s drummer Dave Lombardo on skins). Currently reunited (with new drummer Paul Bostaph of Slayer fame), I witnessed them headline the New Jersey Metal Meltdown festival, which contained an array of underground bands seeking to break there way into a stagnant metal scene.
Slipknot is one of the few current metal bands that are widespread in popularity. Hailing from Des Moines, Iowa the nine piece band’s major breakthrough came in 1999 with the release of their self-titled album, the first featuring vocalist Corey Taylor. Their platinum record was the first million-selling honor for the long time metal indie label Roadrunner. Often lumped into the Nu-metal category, Slipknot members pride themselves on incorporating all styles of music, but are mainly rooted in Thrash and Death metal using some elements of Rap and Hip-Hop. I witnessed their mayhem last Wednesday night in Rochester, as they currently are headlining the Jagermeister Music tour (featuring Fear Factory and Chimaira). These two shows although completely different in style and stage presence, are related in genre and musical form.
So after waiting through countless sub-par underground bands, and lack-luster performances, Testament took the stage upon the mighty roar of the crowd. A bit older and out of their prime they still managed to deliver an awe-inspiring show, proving that Thrash metal is a timeless expression which will always be cherished by the core of enlightened metal fans. The current lineup only contains two original members (Eric Peterson and Chuck Billy), Alex Skolnik (original lead guitarist) departed in 1992 to pursue a career in Jazz, it being one of his major influences. Here is what Alex said about the bands influences during an interview in 1990, “When the band was starting Eric (rhythm guitar) and Lou (drums) were really into old Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Metallica had just come out. Personally I'm more into more melodic music, I like a lot of electric jazz and I like groups like Yes and King Crimson.” Hearing them live for the first time I noticed a drastic change from the earlier days of Skolnik, the tempo of the songs seemed to be sped up and no solos were incorporated, they seemed to be lacking the guitar harmony from which I was accustomed. They trudged through their classic songs like “Into the Pit” and “Over the Wall” (which incite moshing and stage diving) keeping there original form, but played with little finesse and more of a rapid, chunky, dual guitar style attack. In my opinion without Alex Skolnik, Testament lost an important member with a lot of classical and melodic influences, and now have become more of a pure thrash band which rely more on long wrenching rhythmic breaks and rapid tempo changes. Still there performance relied solely on the music and not gimmick, something Testament has never changed (whether it be to sell records or gain attention) and never will.
Slipknot on the other hand can’t help but gain attention with their current gimmick. With nine members in the band each wear the same costume and get assigned their own number, but dawn different masks that symbolize their inner most demons. Following in the tradition of KISS, the masks create an aura of mystique around the band subverting the cult of the Rock star. The nine members constitute a vocalist, two guitarists, bass, drums, a DJ, sample guy, and dual percussionists (who also sing back-up). The music, which relies heavily on the influences of Death, Thrash Metal and Hip-Hop combines dynamic vocals, twisted percussive arrangements, dual technical guitar rhythms, and DJ squiggles with a graveyard sense of humor. Percussionist Shawn Crahan (Clown Mask, aka 6) speaking on the bands influences said, “Were going to take all the genres of music that we love, death metal being one of the highest, and incorporate it in everything we do.” The songs contain the same form live as they do in recording, which is often based on the 12-bar blues format. Experiencing Slipknot in a live atmosphere, you can’t help but sense the chaos that they are stirring. From the intense moshing and unison jumping of the crowds (incited by the lead singer), to the stage diving and destructive antics by the individuals in the band, it’s not only about the music but the sense of creating a distinctively Slipknot style show. Seeing nine people on stage playing in unison almost seems chaotic at times, but in the same light it all melds together to make some of the newest, fastest, and catchiest heavy music. With all this going on it’s hard not to get caught up in the moment and really enjoy oneself.
Testament is currently at the forefront of a reemerging Thrash Metal scene, other notables include Exodus’s “Tempo of the Damned” released in 2004 (the bands first studio album in 12 years, probably their best effort to date) also Megadeth, Slayer, Death Angel, and Sweden’s The Haunted (Swedish Grammy Winners) are all releasing new records this year. In 1992 we saw the downfall of metal and the rise of grunge, in 2004 Thrash Metal is coming back, better, harder, and faster than ever and this time its going for the jugular. Slipknot is currently among a vast array of generic, radio friendly rock bands. Their new album (Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses) was produced by Rick Rubin (who also produced Metallica’s St. Anger and many other commercial acts) and hits stores this month. Hopefully they won’t be following the current trend of popular metal bands selling out (i.e. Metallica) to create more commercial, widely-accepted music that doesn’t appeal to the core fans.
In essence Testament and Slipknot are very different yet very alike. They both developed because of early trends in Heavy Metal, while being able to incorporate their own style of instrumentation. Each has a distinct stage presence with Testament keeping it plain and simple, and Slipknot making it an event of chaotic proportions. And both with their unique sound have carved a niche in the history of heavy music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burymeinsmoke

Featuring guitar virtuoso Alex Skolnik
Alex Skolnik (original lead guitarist) departed in 1992
I noticed a drastic change from the earlier days of Skolnik
In my opinion without Alex Skolnik

Slipknot is currently among a vast array of generic, radio friendly rock bands. Their new album (Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses) was produced by Rick Rubin (who also produced Metallica’s St. Anger and many other commercial acts).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. It's spelled SKOLNICK.

2. You said Rubin also produced St. Anger. Uh, no he didn't. Get your
facts straight. According to www.metallica.com, St Anger was produced by
Bob Rock and Metallica.

http://www.metallica.com/Media/Albums/albums.asp

3. Your usage of the word 'incite' was incorrect. It should be 'incites' or
'incited' ....in your case the most proper would be the past tense.

4. This sentence is wrong:

performance relied solely on the music and not gimmick, something Testament has never changed (whether it be to sell records or gain attention)

"whether it be to sell" is ebonics, not english.

It should be "whether it is to sell records or gain attention" or "whether it
is selling records or gaining attention" or even "whether it be selling records
or gaining attention"

5. Wrong usage of 'there' in your sentence.

keeping there original form

It should be:

keeping their original form

6. If you're going to identify a property, place, or place of business, you must
identify it properly. "Long time indie Roadrunner" should have been
"Long time indie Roadrunner Records."

7. "first million selling honor" should have been "first million selling honors"
with the word honor being plural, honors.

Okay, I just noticed this shit.

Hopefully they [Slipknot] won’t be following the current trend of popular metal bands selling out (i.e. Metallica) to create more commercial, widely-accepted music that doesn’t appeal to the core fans.

You're tellin me that Slipknot isn't fucking commercial and widely-accepted? Jesus Christ, dude, clean our your fucking ears. Slipknot is simplistic mallcore, the newest trendy bullshit, and comparing them to Testament is a fucking insult to thrash legends.

You got an A+ with all those spelling errors and grammar mistakes? What the fuck?

If I was a college professor you would have immediately gotten a reduction in letter grade simply for the misuse of the homonym "there/their"

Thanks for pointing out all my mistakes, I think I was high when I wrote it. Next time ill post the rough draft here before I fuck up some of the more important facts. I think I was pretty accurate on most of the Testament references though, I did confuse Rubin and Rock, and there definetely was spelling and grammatical errors, but I got away with it and thats all that counts.

Nothing wrong with a little hash and thrash. As far as slipknot goes let me put it this way I post on other message boards, visit some, and ive never been to theirs once. Im not nearly as big of a fan in comparison to Testament, I just like the first CD its pretty catchy stuff, the new material blows though.

Pyrus whos your all-star metal jew lineup?
Mines:
David Lee Roth-Vocals (I cant really think of anyone else. Jon Bush might be)
Scott Ian and Marty Friedman-Guitar (I think Slash is Jewish too)
Danny Lilker-Bass
Mike Portnoy-Percussion

The only reason I was comparing them is because I had to do a report on two concerts I went to, and those were the only two.

By the hands of inquisition you'll be CLEANSED BY FLAMES
For your horrid acts of iniquity CLEANSED BY FLAMES
In the name of your salvation you are CLEANSED BY FLAMES
But all shall be forgiven when you're CLEANSED BY FLAAAAAAMES

Sorath said:
By the hands of inquisition you'll be CLEANSED BY FLAMES
For your horrid acts of iniquity CLEANSED BY FLAMES
In the name of your salvation you are CLEANSED BY FLAMES
But all shall be forgiven when you're CLEANSED BY FLAAAAAAMES

Testament and Slipsnot dont mix at all