My thoughts on the Seattle Metalfest

Mortado

Apr 9, 2002
Seattle WA USA
www.gravemusic.com
This fest wore me out, I only made it through the second day because I had an ample supply of energy drinks, nutritional supplements and plenty of smoking nmaterials. Since I photographed all the bands I was one of the few that actually saw EVERYONE play, like them or not. Here's my rundown.

My highlights from the two days:

Death Angel - I wasn't a huge fan of any of their stuff other than "The Ultraviolence" but last nights set fucking blew me away. It's rare to see a band with so much energy, sincerity, and an obvious love for what they are doing. Simply amazing!

Dreams of Damnation - Fucking cool to see Durkin up on stage again and Loana has a HELL of a voice! Thrassshhh!!!

Dragonlord - The keyboards got a little gay sounding at times but they still put on a hell of a set. It was pretty cool to see Eric Peterson and Steve Smythe all decked out with corpsepaint and leather.

Nevermore - Totally off the hook, probably the best performance I've ever seen from the guys.

Exhumed - Not too bad but not the best, Leon De Le Muerte isn't as entertaining on bass as the last guy. They were way better when I saw them last in Portland last December.

The Braindead - Since the band has been around since 1984 and I've known the guys since high school I can't even begin to count how many times I've seen them play live. Yesterdays set was hands down the best I have ever seen from them, tight as fuck and full of energy. The Braindead are proof that metal, punk, and hardcore can be fused without sounding like the tons of boring, breakdown laden ",etalcore" bands out there.

Cornucopia - Unique grindcore with a mix of clean and death vox, lots of energy and aa simply amazing drummer. They had some serious problems with the drums so it took them a while to get started but the music still killed. The bassist was playing with a broken leg so he wasn't as mobile as usual.

Locals worth mentioning - Headdirt, Scorched Earth, Black Goat, Myiasis, Serpens Aeon, Myiasis, Drawn and Quartered, and Beltfed Weapon tore it up and represented the Seattle underground well. Both MTF and Agony of Deceit did a good job with their Pantera-esque style of metal, but I just wasn't in the right mindframe to enjoy them as much as I should.

Bands I did not enjoy at all:

Hyperthermia - Shot my photos quick and got the hell out. I don't remember much about them so they must have been pretty damned generic.

Soultorn - Reminded me of a high school band, not sure what the fuck they were trying to accomplish.

Aggression Core - I *think* that they try to be a blend of Pantera and the new wave of Swedish death metal. Curran is an awesome guitarist and I think he is wasting his potential playing with these guys.

Savannah - A cross of nu-metal and hardcore, some godawful shit which really surprised me since the guitarist kills in The Almighty Punchdrunk.

36 Crazyfists - Totally gay bouncerock.nu-metal. These duys did NOT fit on the bill at all, definitely the worst band of the evening. I have a feeling they were booked as an attempt to get the Ozzfest type crowd to turn out.

Skinlab - A very high energy band but the music was awful, too damned repetitious for me to get into.

That's my two cents. Back to work on my photos which I will be done with by the end of the week.

i'm sure i would have! what exactly is the seattle metal scene like these days? from what i observed (i'm in the s.f. bay area)... the crowd is pretty young, and seem to be mostly into death metal.

i could be wrong...?

the scene here is mixed, but tends to favour tried and true bay area thrash.

Most of the people around here who consider themselves metalheads are into what I like to call mall metal, stuff like Korn and Slipknot. As far as the more underground scene goes you are mostly correct in your observations, however you have some crusty old fuckers such as myself who can get into thrash and classic (true?) metal as well as black/death stuff.

Maybe you shouold come up for Entombed's headlining show at Studio 7 on Sunday, you can have a chance to check out the mighty In Memorium, my personal favorite of the Seattle black/death bands.

Mall Metal! :kickass:

Will see the King and Entombed at the Fenix, and again work screws me
out of seeing In Memorium at studio 7!
I'm one for three on IM shows for "From Misery...Comes Darkness"
There are still plenty of true metal fans around and some great local bands
like Serpens Aeon, with some old school influences.

Mortado said:
Most of the people around here who consider themselves metalheads are into what I like to call mall metal, stuff like Korn and Slipknot. As far as the more underground scene goes you are mostly correct in your observations, however you have some crusty old fuckers such as myself who can get into thrash and classic (true?) metal as well as black/death stuff.

Maybe you shouold come up for Entombed's headlining show at Studio 7 on Sunday, you can have a chance to check out the mighty In Memorium, my personal favorite of the Seattle black/death bands.

yeah... that's what my impression was. don't forget mudvayne!

YOU OLD? oh please. i bet you were born in the 70's, right? :lol:

heard the crazy NM dudes went to see entombed! did you have fun? okay... that's another vote for in memorium. damn... do they have a demo or something?

ms. anthrope said:
YOU OLD? oh please. i bet you were born in the 70's, right? :lol:

heard the crazy NM dudes went to see entombed! did you have fun? okay... that's another vote for in memorium. damn... do they have a demo or something?
I was born in 1966 so there :) I didn't go to Entombed headlining show as I just had to see the 3 hour Primus gig the same night (got some killer shots of Les) but caught them the day before with King D. In Memorium has a great CD you can get from them via their site at http://www.inmemorium.tk/, I think there are a couple of mp3s there as well.

ms. anthrope said:
serpens aeon... there's another seattle band that has peaked my curiousity!

Serpens Aeon is also a great Seattle Metal band.
Luis Martinez(vocals, bass) is a very cool dude. I got "Dawn of Kouatl"
direct from him and quickly. Seven great songs of death.
They were influenced by some great bands as well.
Serpens just got back from San Diego about three or four weeks ago.
You didn't hear of them playing in CA?

Mortado said:
I was born in 1966 so there :) I didn't go to Entombed headlining show as I just had to see the 3 hour Primus gig the same night (got some killer shots of Les) but caught them the day before with King D. In Memorium has a great CD you can get from them via their site at http://www.inmemorium.tk/, I think there are a couple of mp3s there as well.

1966 is a cool year - you're still young. i'll check out the site for the sound files :).