My Top 23 of 2007 (yes... 2007)

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I decided to try something a bit different this year. Rather than compiling my thoughts on 2007's releases in January of 2008, I chose to wait six months. I had two reasons for doing this. First, there's always a few gems that manage to fly under my radar. I often discover a handful of quality releases as I pick through the year end lists of others. Second, a CD that's fresh in your mind is always going to seem more enjoyable than a CD whose freshness date has long since expired. Thus, comparing a CD purchased in December to one purchased in February, is often going to give the December disc a distinct advantage. With that in mind, here's my take on some of 2007's releases.

Redemption - The Origins of Ruin - 10/10
Nothing else in 2007 even came close to touching The Origins of Ruin. It’s steeped in introspective lyrics, drenched in emotion, jam-packed with brilliant musicianship and overflowing with great songwriting. From the opening of “The Suffocating Silence”, to the absolutely haunting title track, to the heart-wrenching ending of “Fall on You”, this disc never lets up in terms of quality. This disc is probably in my Top 10 of all-time.

Primordial - To The Nameless Dead - 9/10
For many of the same reasons I love The Origins of Ruin, I love To the Nameless Dead; powerful lyrics, intense vocals and music that mesmerizes as it ebbs and flows. For those who have yet to give Primordial a spin, this is the disc to start with.

Some years I find putting the year's releases in order a rather simple chore. However, this year, everything after Redemption and Primordial seemed somewhat difficult to sequence. That said, the following are simply listed in alphabetical order.

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain - 8/10
Ashes Against the Grain continues Agalloch's journey towards a more refined sound. At times, the music is reminiscent of Explosions in the Sky. The two significant differences being the harsh vocals and the use of acoustic guitar as the music's primary focus.

Behemoth - The Apostasy - 7/10
I was never much of a Behemoth fan... until I saw them live. That performance inspired me to purchase The Apostasy. The energy of that show fueled the spinning of this disc over the course of the month that followed. However, once the fuel from the live show ran empty, my interest waned rapidly.

Blowback - Morning Wood - 8/10
Drawing equal influence from both Kyuss and Sabbath, Blowback doesn't reinvent the wheel. Rather, they simply keep rolling along, laying down infectious grooves that seem ideal for testing the outer limits of your car speakers on a warm summer day.

Blood Red Throne - Come Death - 7.5/10
Death Metal with groove. The ability to infuse such a pronounced sense of groove into music this brutal is a true testament to the fantastic chops of bass player Erlend Caspersen. The guy is a beast. If you're someone whose been treading cautiously into the Death Metal waters, and appreciates the likes of Amon Amarth, this might be a good next step towards the deep end.

Circus Maximus - Isolate - 8.5/10
I've read many comments about this disc and what it means to Circus Maximus' development. It seems most people fall into one of two camps; those who believe this disc represents a step forward and those who believe it represents a step back. I'll take the middle ground... it mostly represents a step sideways. In terms of songwriting and musicianship, it's exactly what someone would expect after having heard The First Chapter. It seems the band has settled into a definitive, recognizable sound. I'm very curious to hear what they do next and how their sound evolves.

Darkestrah - Epos - 8.5/10
Epos was my introduction to Darkestrah. It consists of a single track, 33 minutes in length, replete with Burzumesque Black Metal riffing, howling/mournful female vocals and the occasional violin. I'm not usually one for epic song lengths, but Epos manages to flow seamlessly, without ever seeming forced or unnatural. Without a doubt, Darkestrah is my favorite band from Kyrgyzstan. :loco:

Down - Over the Under - 7.5/10
More and more, I've been getting into the whole Stoner scene (musically). I really enjoyed the first Down release, but found their sophomore release a bit tedious. This is a return to form in terms of quality.

Drudkh - Estrangement - 8.5/10
I just love this band. Autumn Aurora was the CD that cemented my love of Black Metal. And with follow-ups such as Blood in Our Wells and this latest release, Drudkh continues to establish themselves as Black Metal's finest band. As with previous releases, the latest effort by these Ukrainians just overflows with atmosphere and emotion.

Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon - 6/10
To say this was my most anticipated disc of the decade would be a fair assessment. When I had the chance to interview Jon, he said the following about this disc, "I hope that it will be the ultimate concept album ever. That’s my goal." If that was his goal, he failed. Let's be clear; I'm a total Iced Earth fan boy. However, this is not a great disc. It has its moments, but they're few and far between. Not only is this not the "ultimate concept album", but it may very well be Iced Earth's weakest offering. And make no mistake, none of this can be laid at the feet of Ripper. Jon has always made it abundantly clear that this is his band. That being the case, the blame lies with him.

Isis - In the Absence of Truth - 8.5/10
In essence, this is a less dynamic, less aggressive version of Panopticon. Personally, I prefer Panopticon. And although I think this too is a superb effort, I think it's time for Isis to begin exploring. It seems there's little more they can do with their current sound, that wouldn't simply be a reprise of past glories.

Megadeth - United Abominations - 8.5/10
I'm by no means a Megadeth fan boy. The last CD of theirs I bought was 1994's Youthanasia. So believe me when I say, this is an excellent disc not because it's Megadeth, but because it's an excellent disc. The riffing and soloing on this disc are superb. Perhaps Dave simply needed our country to complete its descent into abject failure to fuel his inspiration. Whatever his muse, it's back and it's pissed.

Mgla - Further Down the Nest/Mdlosci - 8/10
Very much in the same vein as Drudkh. This disc is a compilation of two previous Mgla releases, which each contained two songs. Excellent, riff-driven, atmospheric Black Metal from Poland. I can't wait to lay my hands on their first full length release (Groza) later this year.

The Morningside - The Wind, The Trees and the Shadows of the Past - 8/10
An intriguing blend of modern day Katatonia, Agalloch and more subtle Opeth influences. This disc features excellent musicianship and a strong sense of atmosphere. If I had one complaint, it's that the end result is a bit homogeneous. There's some serious potential here, but they'll need to break free of their overpowering influences if they're to fully cultivate it.

Novembers Doom - The Novella Reservoir - 8.5/10
There are certain bands you hear and think to yourself, "Why are they so popular?". Novembers Doom exists at the opposite pole. As a self-described "Dark Metal" band, Novembers Doom offers everything a fan of such a style could possibly desire (with the possible exception of an aptly placed apostrophe). If Paul Kuhr, a vocalist who mixes clean and harsh vocals, isn't in a class by himself, then it doesn't take long to call roll. The guitar work is superb, the lyrics are excellent, and the resulting songs are powerful and well written. Why this band continues to wallow in relative obscurity is a complete mystery. If this latest offering commits one sin, it's merely that it falls short of being as brilliant as The Pale Haunt Departure.

October Falls - The Streams Of The End - 7.5/10
For those unfamiliar with October Falls, the band is the brain child of Finland's Mikko Lehto. The band's earlier releases were mostly acoustic and had a dark folk aesthetic. However, The Streams of the End sees the band moving in a decidedly Black Metal direction and doing so deftly, with well crafted, haunting songs, that often feature an acoustic accompaniment.

Pagan's Mind - God's Equation - 8.5/10
After the lackluster Enigmatic: Calling, my interest in Pagan's Mind faded. Consequently, God's Equation caught me off guard. The new disc seems much more energetic and more inspired than its predecessor. And the songwriting herein is much closer to that of the godly Celestial Entrance. That said, I'd really like to see these guys begin to take some risks. Although this disc surpasses its predecessor in terms of songwriting quality, it is the 3rd disc in a row where the songs are essentially interchangeable. Pagan's Mind is simply too talented to stagnate. Pound for pound, in terms of musicianship, this may be the most gifted band in Prog Metal. And it would be a shame to watch them do little more than churn out the same disc year after year.

Pink Cream 69 - In10sity - 8/10
Fun, fun, fun. That's all I want from PC69 and they deliver in spades on In10sity. Their modernized take on 80s Metal is as strong as it's ever been. If anything, the new disc is edgier than its predecessors, which is a welcome upgrade.

Primal Fear - New Religion - 7.5/10
If I had to describe Primal Fear in a word, it would be "dependable". And unless you're a Japanese import that gets great gas mileage, that's not the most flattering descriptor. However, you do know what you're going to get with each new Primal Fear CD; 10 tracks, of varying kickassedness (yes... that's a real word). And New Religion offers as much kickassedness as anything they've recorded since 2002's Black Sun.

Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement - 8.5/10
Webster's defines "Rapid Eye Movement" as "a rapid conjugate movement of the eyes associated especially with REM sleep". And one must wonder if Poland's Riverside weren't fast asleep when they wrote this disc. Don't get me wrong, this is an excellent disc, which is even more brilliant when not viewed through the lens of their previous efforts. However, it's beginning to sound as if they've become too comfortable in their musical skin and have begun sleepwalking in the studio. While 2005's Second Life Syndrome demonstrated songwriting maturation and more adventurous lead play, Rapid Eye Movement represents no such growth. Similar to Pagan's Mind, Riverside has begun to repeat themselves. Riverside's distinct sound should buy them a bit more time before their stagnation becomes obvious. I hope their next disc offers some new refinements to their sound.

Sixx: A.M. - The Heroin Diaries - 8/10
Talk about being blindsided... where the hell did this come from? In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit, I'm a total Motley Crue fan boy. So quite logically, anything Nikki Sixx touches is immediately going to be of interest to me. That said, I never expected anything quite this poignant. In essence, this is what FM Radio Rock might sound like if it wasn't devoid of soul. Deeply personal, powerful lyrics, vocalized with a ton of emotion (something tells me Mr. Michaels may have listened to Jeff Buckley once or twice). Everything on this disc, from the spoken word overlays to the brief musical interludes, just flat out works. Nikki's collaboration with Ashba and Michaels is clearly one worth revisiting.

Symphony X - Paradise Lost - 8/10
Of all the "8/10"s in this list, this is the one that comes with the most disappointment. I actually find it somewhat odd how little grief Symphony X has taken over the evolution, or more accurately the de-evolution, of their sound. Little by little, the progressive elements have faded away, as the Power Metal elements have grown more pronounced. With the release of Paradise Lost, the metamorphosis from Prog Metal band to Power Metal band is nearing completion. While I don't begrudge the band members their success, I can't help but be saddened as I watch a once great Prog Metal band head for greener, more simplistic pastures. All in all, Paradise Lost is a top notch, meticulously executed, Power Metal CD. For me, the release of Paradise Lost is reminiscent of the release of Queensryche's Empire. Empire is a great Rock CD. However, I didn't want a Rock CD from Queensryche. I wanted political dissent. I wanted intensity. I wanted anger and vitriol. What I got was MTV friendly Rock songs. With Symphony X, I want to be amazed. I want to be left in awe. I want a wide spectrum of musical colors and shades. What I got was a straight forward, albeit expertly played, Power Metal CD. To be completely fair, the 8/10 score would probably be higher if I wasn't so disappointed with their direction.

Witchcraft - The Alchemist - 7.5/10
When most metal heads think Sweden, they think Melodic Death Metal. However, Sweden has quickly become the home for a new genre of bands, based on 70s Retro Rock, Psychedelia and Doom. If you're not familiar with Witchcraft, think Sabbath meets the Doors. When I feel like changing things up a bit, this is a great disc to reach for.

Zod

Why do you like the latest Redemption so much? I just found it to be the same as the last disc without the gem that is Sapphire, similiar to what Symphony X did

Why do you like the latest Redemption so much?
Well, not to be facetious, but for all the reasons I listed.:loco:

It's like anything else with music; that which resonates with the listener is often deeply personal. Nick's lyrics really hit home with me. That said, I love the music and Ray's voice.

I just found it to be the same as the last disc without the gem that is Sapphire...
If we're comparing the two discs, and specifically the two track fours, I'll take "Memory" over "Sapphire", hands down.

I thought The Fullness of Time was brilliant as well. I think the new disc improves on it ever so slightly, in all the right places.

...similiar to what Symphony X did
I suppose, in reference to which sub-genre they both most accurately fall under, Redemption and Symphony X are similar. The difference being Redemption is doing what they've always done, from a style perspective. Symphony X has changed dramatically from the band that I fell in love with. As I noted, I'm more disappointed that SX has evolved the way they have, more than I am with the actual musical quality.

Zod

Great List and Reviews, I too agree with you on the Redemption, it is a total 10/10.

I suppose, in reference to which sub-genre they both most accurately fall under, Redemption and Symphony X are similar. The difference being Redemption is doing what they've always done, from a style perspective. Symphony X has changed dramatically from the band that I fell in love with. As I noted, I'm more disappointed that SX has evolved the way they have, more than I am with the actual musical quality.

Zod

I just meant how Symphony X did Paradise Lost on the Odyssey and latest Redemption on the one before that

I decided to try something a bit different this year. Rather than compiling my thoughts on 2007's releases in January of 2008, I chose to wait six months. I had two reasons for doing this. First, there's always a few gems that manage to fly under my radar. I often discover a handful of quality releases as I pick through the year end lists of others. Second, a CD that's fresh in your mind is always going to seem more enjoyable than a CD whose freshness date has long since expired. Thus, comparing a CD purchased in December to one purchased in February, is often going to give the December disc a distinct advantage.

I definitely agree with this methodology. Some of the albums from the second half of last year that I absolutely loved when they first dropped have grown stale, while I still spin others from the first half weekly. Good list, though. It's missing some of the discs I enjoyed the most from last year -- Between the Buried and Me, Baroness, Shining, Deathspell Omega, Wolves in the Throne Room, etc but I really dug that Primordial, Agalloch, Darkestrah, Drudkh, and Megadeth discs, among others on your list. I'll be checking out the Mgla, October Falls, The Morningside, and Witchcraft discs for sure.

BTW am I the only one who thought The Apostasy was godawful?

Thanks Zod. I'll check out the albums on here I haven't listened to.

dcowboys : Awful? Nah. I loved it at first, but then it slowly started to lose my attention. The Warrel Dane track is awesome though.

Good list, though. It's missing some of the discs I enjoyed the most from last year -- Between the Buried and Me, Baroness, Shining, Deathspell Omega, Wolves in the Throne Room, etc.

Between the Buried and Me - not at all my cup of tea.

Baroness - dig the music, hate the singer.

Shining - I hate all things Doom. with that said, this almost interested me, as I dig the singer. But in the end, not something I could get into.

Deathspell Omega - I know lots of folks rave about them. I've just never been able to get into them.

Wolves in the Throne Room - loved the previous disc, don't much care for the new one. I actually would have put that in my list had I thought about it.

Zod

I think about 7 or 8 from that list were on my top 25, and a couple others that I enjoyed .. a far cry from when our lists looked nearly identical. Good writeups .. thanks for sharing.

Britt

Nice reviews Zod. I agree 100% about the PC69 - with each release these guys just never seem to disappoint. However, while I agree that Jon's statement about making the "ultimate concept record" came up extremely short (its nowhere near Streets, Crimson Idol, Mindcrime, etc.) I do think its a damn solid disc and worthy of at least an 8 or 9. It really didn't grab me the first couple of weeks of spinning it, but as months have gone by since its release, its been a tough one to remove from my player. I may get flamed for this, but a huge part of me wishes they would have recorded and released part 2 with Tim.....then Jon could have replaced him like he had obviously desired to. Just my useless thought......

I actually saw van Dyke and Greg of Redemption at a show last week. Weird thing it was far from a metal show. Me and my friend debated as to whether we wanted to go up and say hi or if it was really them at all. But then we saw them wearing Redemption and Into Eternity shirts and we had to go up. Sad to say I choked and the only thing I could say was, "Redemption right? I like you guys...". How awkward :heh: :mad:

I think about 7 or 8 from that list were on my top 25, and a couple others that I enjoyed .. a far cry from when our lists looked nearly identical.
True. But I sense you're slowly moving towards the dark side. I feel pretty confident that it's just a matter of time before you're wearing corpse paint and demanding everyone call you Count PackAttack.

Agalloch's ASHES AGAINST THE GRAIN came out in 2006.
You are correct.

Also, where the hell is a review for CANDLEMASS or TROUBLE?
Exactly where they should be... no where to be found on a list of the top releases of the year.

However, while I agree that Jon's statement about making the "ultimate concept record" came up extremely short (its nowhere near Streets, Crimson Idol, Mindcrime, etc.) I do think its a damn solid disc and worthy of at least an 8 or 9. It really didn't grab me the first couple of weeks of spinning it, but as months have gone by since its release, its been a tough one to remove from my player.
To each their own. I gave this disc chance after chance to win me over. And in the end, I just don't feel that the song quality is there. I'm still hoping Part II kicks all sorts of ass.

I may get flamed for this, but a huge part of me wishes they would have recorded and released part 2 with Tim.....then Jon could have replaced him like he had obviously desired to.
While I would have preferred Jon made the switch prior to the release of Part 1, I completely respect your opinion. I'm a total Barlow fan boy, but recognize that Tim is an amazing talent. All these silly Barlow vs. Ripper flame wars on Blabbermouth are beyond absurd. Both guys are incredible talents, and disparaging one to exalt the other is simply ridiculous.

Zod

cool list, i thought pathosray should make it on everyones list though (that was an 07 release right?)

i also totally agree on iced earth and symphony x, although you gave both higher scores than i would have

i disagree about circus maximus though, but maybe cause it was my top album of 07

thanks for sharing!

I'd have to agree with you that Symphony X was a bit disappointing, but I don't think their sound has de-evolved. Paradise Lost is alot heavier than I expect Power Metal to be, and I still hear alot of progressive elements in the overall sound. It's a good album, but not worth the 5 year wait.

It was nice reading your list and reviews, Zod. :)