My Top 23 of 2007 (yes... 2007)

BTW am I the only one who thought The Apostasy was godawful?

I think The Apostasy was a continuation of the sound they established on Demigod. While I was a decent enough fan of their newer sound on Demigod, I think that the songs on The Apostasy are better. That said, it doesn't even come close to being as good as Satanica or Zos Kia Cultus.

Redemption - The Origins of Ruin - 10/10
Nothing else in 2007 even came close to touching The Origins of Ruin. It’s steeped in introspective lyrics, drenched in emotion, jam-packed with brilliant musicianship and overflowing with great songwriting. From the opening of “The Suffocating Silence”, to the absolutely haunting title track, to the heart-wrenching ending of “Fall on You”, this disc never lets up in terms of quality. This disc is probably in my Top 10 of all-time.

When I first got this, I wasn't impressed with it at all. After listening to it a few times, I've come to agree with this opinion. The album is worth it even just for "Bleed Me Dry", "Memory", and "The Origins of Ruin" IMO.

....but you are you the same guy raving about RATT and TESLA from that fest you went to out in Europe?
Yep. One in the same. In terms everyone can appreciate:

Tesla
21.jpg

Doom
22.jpg

Zod

You hate doom, but you like DOWN?????
I like Stoner bands. Granted, that sub genre incorporates Doom as one of its influences. However, I find I enjoy the Stoner bands who use Doom as a secondary or tertiary influence.

I've given Doom a chance. I spun the new Warning disc a bunch of times... no dice. Spun The Gates of Slumber disc everyone was raving about... no dice. Of course I've checked out the bigger names as well, Candlemass, Trouble, Solitude Aeturnus, etc. No dice.

Zod

I like Stoner bands. Granted, that sub genre incorporates Doom as one of its influences. However, I find I enjoy the Stoner bands who use Doom as a secondary or tertiary influence.

I've given Doom a chance. I spun the new Shining disc a bunch of times... no dice. Spun The Gates of Slumber disc everyone was raving about... no dice. Of course I've checked out the bigger names as well, Candlemass, Trouble, Solitude Aeturnus, etc. No dice.

Zod

I'm not a huge doom fan myself. I like Candlemass and Trouble, but that's about it as for traditional doom metal. Doom-death, stoner, and sludge I love but not just plain old doom.

That said, what do you think about bands like High on Fire? I thought their 2007 album was superb. The Ocean put out a solid disc too that isn't top-anything worthy, but is a good listen.

Also, which Shining are you talking about? I know there are two bands that go by that name. The one who I'm interested in released "V - Halmstad" last year and I've always thought about them as more black metal than anything. To each his own, I suppose.

I think The Apostasy was a continuation of the sound they established on Demigod. While I was a decent enough fan of their newer sound on Demigod, I think that the songs on The Apostasy are better. That said, it doesn't even come close to being as good as Satanica or Zos Kia Cultus.

Yeah see, I really really like Demigod. Maybe even more than Zos Kia Cultus. I just thought that the songwriting on their latest effort was really weak.

I've given Doom a chance. I spun the new Shining disc a bunch of times... no dice. Spun The Gates of Slumber disc everyone was raving about... no dice. Of course I've checked out the bigger names as well, Candlemass, Trouble, Solitude Aeturnus, etc. No dice.

Zod

I know you read RC but have you listened to Warning? That is probably the best doom disc i have. Did u try first 2 solitude? It reminds me more of a thrashy/heavy doom than just a pure doom band...Watching From a Distance though so fucking good.

Zod

hey, at least you gave it a try. Something about Doom that is so dull.:err:

Also, which Shining are you talking about? I know there are two bands that go by that name.
My mistake, I meant Warning, not Shining.

I know you read RC but have you listened to Warning? That is probably the best doom disc i have.
Yep. Listened to "Watching From a Distance". Not bad. But not something I feel compelled to listen to.

Did u try first 2 solitude? It reminds me more of a thrashy/heavy doom than just a pure doom band...
Beyond the Crimson Horizon and Into the Depths of Sorrow. Better than 90$ of all other Doom, but still Doom.

Zod

hey, at least you gave it a try. Something about Doom that is so dull.:err:

Hrmmm...
So you like Tyr and DoomSword based on lyrical content, but don't like Candlemass, who musically are very similar???????

If a trad doom band named their album CRUISING INTO VALHALLA WITH ODIN, would that help?? :lol:

How about DoomSword guys?
I think this is a band that fans of MANY genres can appreciate!

BTW - I certainly did not mean to be insulting.
Just had to fire back that I did not see some of the better doom releases of 2007 on the list.

Perhaps I like fast paced Doom? :loco:

Hey Britt... have you checked out the new Grand Magus? That first track, "Like the Oar Strikes the Water", is a total ass kicker. The rest of the disc is solid to strong, but that first track is exceptional.

Zod

Oh yeah .. I like that disc, and I agree that the first tune is the major standout. I need a hookup on that previous GM disc when you get a chance.

Britt