My Top 13 of 2006

In agreement with you on the Pyramaze and Maiden albums. My best of 2006 list is as follows:

1. Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth
2. Circle II Circle - Burden of Truth
3. Pagan Altar - Mythical & Magical
4. Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver
5. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life & Death
6. Angra - Aurora Consurgen
7. Attacker - The Unknown
8. The Gates of Slumber - Suffer No Guilt
9 .Metal Church - A Light in the Dark
10. Manticora - The Black Circus Pt. 1
11. Solitude Aeturnus - Alone
12. Jon Oliva's Pain - Maniacal Renderings
13. Vicious Rumors - Warball
14. Temple of Blood - Prepare for the Judgment of Mankind
15. Hammers of Misfortune - The Locust Years
16. Beyond Fear - s/t
17. Rage - Speak of the Dead
18. HammerFall - Threshold
19. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime Pt. 2

The top 10 albums in my list are quite strong and the next 4 are very good. However, #'s 15 thru 19 are ok but have their faults.

The Blind Guardian nearly made my list. I think the reason I'm not a bigger BG fan is Hansi. I don't dislike him. And I respect how unique his style is. Still, he just doesn't do it for me.

I really enjoyed Hammerfall's first two releases. However, at this point, they strike me as a parody of a Metal band.

Zod

The Blind Guardian nearly made my list. I think the reason I'm not a bigger BG fan is Hansi. I don't dislike him. And I respect how unique his style is. Still, he just doesn't do it for me.

I really enjoyed Hammerfall's first two releases. However, at this point, they strike me as a parody of a Metal band.

Zod

Hansi is one of the reasons why BG are one of my favorite bands. His style and his melodies are quite unique and passionate and its the simple and intrinsic way he sings lines that puts him as one of my fav vocalists.

As for Hammerfall, the last 2 albums have been pretty bland and mediocre for the most part.

Hansi is one of the reasons why BG are one of my favorite bands. His style and his melodies are quite unique and passionate and its the simple and intrinsic way he sings lines that puts him as one of my fav vocalists.
I can definitely hear in his voice, the elements that make him so appealing to others. Just doesn't hit me the same way.

Zod

YOU RULE ZOD and really STOKED Specs is in your top 13 of 2006.

I agree Amon Amarth CD is awesome as are many of the CD's on your list.

METAL!!!

Jasun

@ZOD

You think the second half of Christ 0 is dull.....aswell as beyond daylight?!

I consider Beyond Daylight and January Sun the highlights of the albums...not to mention how brilliant the cover of Gethsemane was on Christ 0 :)

You think the second half of Christ 0 is dull.....aswell as beyond daylight?!
Well... as I said, "a bit dull (comparatively speaking)". It's not so much that the songs aren't strong or that I don't like them. Each of VP's last two CDs, have a lot more energetic material on the front end, and less on the back end. VP writes great ballads. I just want a better balance down the stretch.

Zod

Come to think of it, its pretty formulaic.

First tracks sort of smack you in the balls....some ballads in the middle followed by some mid tempo stuff and a bit of a longer track.

Ok, assuming I have the dates right:

1. Fate "V"- I've always loved this band but I never, and I mean NEVER, expected a comeback cd like this one. The exact vocal style that I love, a dozen melodic hook-laden songs and just a killer cd.

2. In Flames "Come Clarity"-This band is gold to me. I don't care if people whine about their style change or whatever. The songs are always the real deal and the melody is never forgotten. I'm not going to NOT like them because younger kids like them now.

3. Bloodbound "Nosferatu"- The shock of the year for me. I expected this cd to be a silly old school metal slab and I got something modern, melodic and just pleasant on every level.

4. House Of Lords "World Upside Down"-FINALLY the cd this band needed to make. This is the best "80s" cd made since, well, the 80s. Can't wait for the follow up!

5. Edguy "Rocket Ride"-this was more of a "grower" for me than Hellfire Club but it stands the test of time.

6. Firewind "Allegiance"-What can I say that you all don't already know?

7. Jani Lane "Back Down To One"-technically an '03 release in Europe but '06 here. Yes, this is the Warrant singer but this cd sounds nothing like Warrant. It's a modern pop/punk metalish rockish..ah, fuck it. It's a bunch of great songs by a great songwriter. Again, I won't NOT like it because he's passe' in some minds.

8. Pretty Maids "Wake Up To The Real World"- Jesus Christ, do I have to say anymore about this band around here? Can someone PLEASE go and check them out?

9. Wig Wam "Wig Wamania"- The quintessential hard rock/melodic rock band right now. They got songs like Brazil got thongs. All good, very melodic and the one band that I personally promise would shake the roof off Atlanta if they were ever invited.

10. Private Line "Evel Knievel Factor"- I love this Finnish style of metal and I happen to think it's the future of our success in the metal world. Another great cd from this rather unknown act.

11. Deathstars "Termination Bliss"- Love the songs, love the look, love the style. Manson for metalheads only with great music.

12. Cradle of Filth "Thornography"- no, I'm not 15. No, I don't understand how and why this is here. Let's just say that this may have been an even bigger shock than Bloodbound for me. I'm embarrassed to say I love this cd, but I love this cd.

13. Poisonblack "Lust Stained Despair"-Nowhere near their debut cd, but heavy and melodic enought to still squeak in ahead of the honorable mentions.

Honorable Mentions: Vengeance "Back In The Ring", Axel Rudi Pell "Mystica", Communic "Waves Of Visual Decay", Europe "Secret Society", Lacuna Coil "Karmacode", Lacrimas Profundere "Filthy Notes..", Paul Stanley "Live To Win", The Poodles "Metal Will Stand Tall", Riot "Army..", Talisman "7", Theatre of Tragedy "Storm", Ted Poley "Collateral Damage", and To/Die/For "Wounds Wide Open".

I'm suprised with all the melodic rock albums you listed (great choices BTW), you didn't even give an honorable mention to Brother Firetribe.:erk:

I'm suprised with all the melodic rock albums you listed (great choices BTW), you didn't even give an honorable mention to Brother Firetribe.:erk:

Yeah, they would be in the top 25 but I really expected that album to be "bigger" in the hook sense. Kinda more like Wig Wam in terms of remembering the songs. But I DO like Brother Firetribe quite a bit! :kickass:

Lacuna Coil - Karmacode
Scary Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Brother Firetribe - False Metal
The Poodles - Metal Will Stand Tall
Wig Wam - Wigwamania
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime II
Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes
Vanden Plas - Christ O
Angra - Aurora Consergens
Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocolypse
Stolen Babies - There Be Squabbles Ahead
Deathstars - Termination Bliss
Sabaton - Attero Dominatus

Frost-Milliontown
Seventh Wonder-Waiting in the Wings
Mercenary-The Hours That Remain
Beyond Twilight-FLATAOTM
Scar Symmetry-Pitch Black Progress
Into Eternity-The Scattering of Ashes
Toto-Falling In Between
Devin Townsend-Synchestra
Aghora-Formless
Sphere of Souls-From the Ashes
To-Mera-Transcendental
Tears of Anger-In the Shadows

Well... as I said, "a bit dull (comparatively speaking)". It's not so much that the songs aren't strong or that I don't like them. Each of VP's last two CDs, have a lot more energetic material on the front end, and less on the back end. VP writes great ballads. I just want a better balance down the stretch.

Zod

Glad you cleared that up. I was a little surprised at your original post. I personally find the cover "Gethsemane" and "January Sun" to be absolutely incredible songs.

Bryant

I'm gonna throw out a few of my top albums from '06 that probably won't be on many lists from regulars on this forum.

Cheap Trick 'Rockford' - The best album they've done since Dream Police. All the classic elements that make Cheap Trick so great, without sounding like they're covering old ground. Robin Zander, mightily underrated in my opinion, sounds as great as he ever has.

New York Dolls 'One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This' - Only two original/surviving members left- David Johansen & Sylvain Sylvain - but this album deserves a place right alongside the infamous self titled debut. The band that was the launching pad for punk rock, without whom the Sex Pistols would never have been. A band who influenced everyone from Kiss & Twisted Sister to Sex Pistols & Hanoi Rocks, to any number of punk/glam/garage/sleeze rock bands over the years.

The Answer 'Rise' - Take equal parts Free/Bad Co./Stones/Faces/Humble Pie/Black Crows blend it all up and you have the Answer. The vocalist even sounds uncannily like Steve Marriott at times. Excellent 70's inspired blues rock.

Roadstar 'Grand Hotel' - Another 'classic' rock band. Really good straight forward hard rock band, the likes of AC/DC, Aerosmith & The Cult, who received Classic Rock Magazine's Best New Band award for 2006.

Honorable Mention: Towers Of London 'Blood, Sweat & Towers' - Good glam/sleeze/punk inspired rock n roll. A little 80's metal, mixed with some 70's glam rock and a healthy dose of NY Dolls/Sex Pistols/Iggy Pop punk attitude.