My Top 30 of 2007

Cool post Glenn! I haven't attempted to sort out my "best" yet, but I guarantee you that Primal Fear, Nightwish,Volbeat, Pagans Mind, & Threshold would fill out the first half of my top 10...

There may be 7 of yours on my list, six of which are in your bottem 20. Hadn't heard The Poodles, but I like them despite the horrible name. Unfortunately I don't do downloads, and the discs are too expensive.

The placement of Raintime is surprising, after the cat thrown horns anecdote.

Nocturnal Rites is more "mostly" rather than "some" fillers IMO, and nearly tops my list for disappointments this year. While there are some good songs on it this is hard rock than Metal moving in an AOR direction with songs like "Not The Only," "Tell Me," "Till I Come Alive," and especially "Me." Only Unia was a bigger let down.

3. Volbeat- Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil: Punk rockabilly? Sounds like Johnny Cash meets Elvis meets Life of Agony (how many care what that guys name was?). Hell, I even read a Stray Cats/Barry Bonds comparison. Regardless of how you describe it, I can dance to it.

Keith Caputo is the vocalist for Life of Agony. I'm actually not a fan but his cousin is one of my favorite horror writers (guy named Michael Laimo).

9. Fair to Midland- Fables from a Mayfly: What I Want to Tell You is True : I don’t know either. I like it though.

While friends of mine have been fans for a while now, this was still the surprise of the year for me. Invincible live show, one set I will never forget.

10. Hardcore Superstar- Dreamin’ in a Casket: Sleazy glam done right. Little Caesar finally has some competition. Besides, anyone that wears the Anthrax-I'm the Man style hat gets bonus points.

I'd probably like this.

Raintime- Flies & Lies: Bodom meets Skid Row

I am so glad that other people make this comparison, since that was the first thing I thought when I heard these guys.

WOW! I am shocked that "Unia" is not up there. Granted, it is a hard CD to listen to. But, after a few spins, you can see the genius behind it.

Awesome post. Not sure what I'd put on my list (haven't thought about it), but we'd have some similar choices (Serenity, Pathosray, Volbeat, Circus Maximus, Raintime, Redemption, Sun Caged). Some of the stuff on your list I haven't listened to enough yet to form a proper opinion(Pagan's Mind), some we may just disagree about (Kamelot, which just isn't doing it for me at all at this point), and some I haven't heard at all. I think my favorite thing I heard this year was Diablo Swing Orchestra, but I guess that was officially a 2006 release (hey, I never heard of them until Ken handed me the CD at Nearfest and told me I needed it!).

I was shocked that the Nightwish song you posted didn't annoy the ever-loving crap out of me like all their old material did. Perhaps I should give them another try with the new singer.

In any event, cool read, and I'll check out some of the stuff I have not heard before.

dt

Gotta thank you for the recommendation for The Poodles...gotta get some of that...and making a Rough Silk reference as well!...I'm so impressed!

Rock on!

Unia should not be on anyone's top 20 or top 1000 for that matter. Horrible album. And I believe rms was being a bit incredulous there stingray. I gather he was saying it like he was shocked that anyone liked that piece of garbage.

Him missing a completely sarcastic post is not worthy of best post :p

Nor was it this year.
I hope Dirty Marmaduke Flute Squad's "Unia" was better than Sonata Arctica's. I guess it would have to be.

Ouch, no Riverside yet again? Rapid Eye Movement can't seem to catch a break around here.

I may have to listen to that album once or twice more. It just didn't do it for me the first couple of times. Mainly it was singer whispering through many of the songs that turned me off.

The Poodles...I've heard a great deal about this band, but I've never been able to bring myself to check them out. Hmmm...I'll give them a shot...there's been too many people to compare them to 80's hard rock for me not to check them out.

~Brian~

The Poodles...I've heard a great deal about this band, but I've never been able to bring myself to check them out. Hmmm...I'll give them a shot...there's been too many people to compare them to 80's hard rock for me not to check them out.

~Brian~

You would totally dig the POODLES!

~Brian~

For people interested in THE POODLES, please also check out WIG WAM!!!! You will NOT be disappointed! (Unless you're disappointed in the poodles...then...oh well).