my Top Ten Movies of 2005

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
Syriana
- awesomely convoluted film that lays bare america's messed-up relationship with the middle east and exists in a hazy realm of moral greys and blacks.

Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
- brilliantly british, brilliantly funny, never a misstep. can it get better than wallace and gromit?

Munich
- extremely moving and tense film about an event of modern horror greater than anything a filmmaker could conjure up. spielberg strikes just the right tone in this masterpiece.

Grizzly Man
- werner herzog has done it again--an incredibly perceptive look at the human condition and its relation to bestiality, as well as its need to dominate and, ultimately, its failure to be aware of its own self. chilling.

The Squid and the Whale
- depressing in a Dancer in the Dark kind of way; that is, fantastically so. emotional without being sentimental, and leaves you sickened. masterful.

A History of Violence
- viggo mortensen brings the gravitas of aragorn to a new rule that's as disturbing as aragorn was inspiring. cronenberg brings his unique vision to show his audience exactly how violent the human soul remains.

Brokeback Mountain
- political and unique, yet its essence is that of a timeless and meta-sexual love story; warmer than any other love film that has been released in years. ang lee's visual filmmaking abilities are a stunning paean to the beauty of the american west.

Broken Flowers
- jim jarmusch's sad and lonely filmmaking has made for some brilliant meditations on the human condition, and broken flowers may be his finest film. the desire for connexion that marks bill murray's protagonist is something we all recognize, but never so well as when jarmusch leads us into it.

The 40-Year-Old Virgin
- hilarious, bawdy, filthy, juvenile--yet also sharply sophisticated at times, and even powerfully sweet. carrell gets it just right.

Everything Is Illuminated
- ignored by many critics, this movie nevertheless showed liev schreiber's directorial prowess and satisfactorily translated the funny and touching tale of jonathan safran foer's loved, then hated-by-hipsters, and now possibly loved-again novel of holocaust history and self-searching.

i think i only saw like 2 movies this year. was life aquatic this year? i liked that. and i'm sure my friend (singular) and i went to another movie... oh yeah, the aristocrats. i also saw constantine, but that's not even up for consideration! i had no choice. i was in copenhagen with some weird norwegian guy... lol and star wars. on kind of a 'date.' we didnt really like it.

i saw like 100+ movies this year but i think only Harry Potter and Sin City were from 2005. both were great.

oh i saw the book Brokeback Mountain at Barnes y Noble just now as i was perusing the Pynchon books. never heard of the movie or the book until today, so now i have to check it out on both Amazon and IMDB.

sounds fruity. and by fruity i mean boring. but short! so if someone recommends it to me i'll totally read it in 2009, and then later rent the DVD. or Super-DVD or whatever is the hip new thing at that time.

the book? wasn't it a short story in the new yorker? did they issue a very very slim volume with the story in it, or is there an expanded novelization of the film, or is it just called BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (and other stories)?

xfer said:
Syriana
- awesomely convoluted film that lays bare america's messed-up relationship with the middle east and exists in a hazy realm of moral greys and blacks.
i think it shows European and eastern oil to be just as corrupt if not more so. our Justice Department -- while vastly imperfect -- is at least an effort to counter corruption in big oil. in China, for example, many oil companies are state owned; how much oversight do you think they receive?

the size of the book reminded me of my slim but hardback copy of the Communist Manifesto, but may have had some additional material included, i'm not really sure.

oh and i already started reading the Pynchon book i picked up, Vineland. pretty funny stuff!

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, S4R. Syriana doesn't adequately show the corruption of European and Arab oil interests (which definitely exist, hugely).

xfer said:
I'm going to have to disagree with you there, S4R. Syriana doesn't adequately show the corruption of European and Arab oil interests (which definitely exist, hugely).
you're probably right, it's not as explicitly shown, save for the Chinese sitting in on deals in some scenes, but it's certainly a conclusion one can draw from watching the film.