My trip intot he woods (w/pics)!!

Shpongled

Aug 30, 2001
My boss suprised me last week by giving me a couple days paid vacation for a job well done. I decided to take this Monday and Tuesday off. I notified my friend Paul of my sudden two days,a nd he suggested camping in the Elwha River Valley. We'd spoken about doing it earlier in the summer when we went to the rain forest. We decided to go for it! To reach our campground required a 3 mile hike. This meant the only gear we could bring is what we can carry in (and definitely on) our backpacks. Minimal amount of spare clothes, sleeping bag, food, lots of water. I've never camped like this before, and it was a pretty serious deal for me, since there's always the underlying threat that my lung could collapse on me again at any given time. I needed to do it though, if only for my own mental well being. It turned out to be a very exhillerating experience, and I look forward to doing it again! As we made the hike in, it rained off and on. It wasn't too cold, and there was no wind at all. When we finally reached the campsite we set our bags down and began to look for firewood. It would be getting dark soon. It felt very weird walking right after we took our packs off. Anyways, I'm starting to ramble. Here's the pics: This is the view from about halfway up the mountain to the parking lot. You drive 5 miles up, then park, then hike 3 more miles. We were very deep, heh.
101105_01a.jpg

Trying to be creative. Notice the picture in his viewfinder. It's the same view of the first pic I posted.
101105_02.jpg

Random:
101105_03.jpg

Paul in the fog:
101105_04.jpg

101105_06.jpg

101105_07.jpg

101105_08.jpg

101105_09.jpg

I think this is my favorite so far:
101105_10.jpg

From our campsite:
101105_12.jpg

Campsite:
101105_13.jpg

We went on a little day hike today:
101105_15.jpg

101105_16.jpg

As we came back towards our campsite, we ran into these fellas. There were three, but you can only see two. Eventually, two of them almost got into a fight because one got too close to the other while he was feeding.
101105_17.jpg

101105_18.jpg

Happy.
101105_19.jpg

101105_20.jpg

Same lake as the first picture, this one the next day.
101105_21.jpg

Some of the pics are pretty blurry, and I think it's time invest in a new camera. This one's been dropped a few times. Hope you enjoy the photos!

OH MY GOD.

This is amazing Kevin!
I love camping like that... I used to do that a lot back home...
almost every month me and my friends from that nature-orgenization
(I think I told you about it) would camp like this with only things we can carry and sleep where ever we could find a place!

Awesome thing that you did it Kev! I know it ment a lot to you, and I'm so happy you had a good time! Nothing like 2 extra unexpected days off to clean the mind and soul eh? :)

Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!!!!
I'm speechless!

Thanks everyone. I forgot one big detail though... pretty much the main reason we chose this place to camp.

There are natural hot springs here, which are like jacuzzis! They were about half a mile from our campsite, so we hiked down there at 11pm or so. It was pitch dark, and really creepy. We found a good hot spring and decided to jump into this one. These hot springs STINK, too. If you know what sulphur smells like, you know what I mean. It was STRONG, too. Luckily we got used to it pretty quickly.

The hot springs were awesome. You just sit in this natural bathtub like pool in the pitch dark. You couldn't see anything, but you could hear everything. Pretty crazy stuff. I never imagined myself doing something like that.

Well, it seems that more bosses give time off because mine offered me to take a week off, to return to my senses. I totally got knocked off my feet because my mom stayed for 2 weeks and that was too much for me.
Stress at work and stress at home don't work for me, at the same time.
So i went off to The Belgian Ardennes, in a little place called Trois Ponts which means Three Bridges. A wild river streaming in the backyard (The Salm, which refers to salmons, who swim up-stream towards their own spawnwaters every year) some cascades in the neighbourhood, woods and hills so we went out for long walks, every day.
In one week time, we got totally different weather.
First two days we got sunny and clear weather and later that week we got snow and frost. (at days temps below 0 celcius -4 to -8 degrees and at nights we got temps of -13 degrees celcius.) All with all, i really got the chance to relax and ease my mind. Here are some of the many visuals i've made during our staying:

Picture0028.jpg

Picture0029.jpg

Two days later:
Picture0006.jpg

Picture0007.jpg

Frozen streams out of a semi-hollow tree trunk:
Picture0035.jpg

Crystallized moss:
Picture0036.jpg

WD snooping around in our backyard:
Picture0020.jpg

1 of The cascades of Coo:
Picture0038.jpg

I'd like to put up a video i've made from the Cascades of Coo but i don't know how to do that. Suggestions, anyone?

Iris!
awesome pictures!
I'm so happy to hear you got away from the stress and went to a beautiful place like the Belgian Ardness!

Those pictures made me sad..... I have been to Trois Ponts before...
my uncle owns a house in Basse Bodeux, and I really miss the charm of that place and good ol' Europa ;)

The weather looks crazy though! I was there in the summet time, so its really nice to see it white and frozen!
geweldig Iris! :Spin: