My trip to Konya...

siriusian

Raised Kundalini Power
May 4, 2004
Ankara, Turkey
go.to
This year is the 800th birthday anniversary of Mevlana Jelaleddin Rumi, the greatest sufi/mystic/poet of Islamic mystical tradition. Thus, 2007 is announced to be the year of Rumi by UNESCO. He is known as the sun of intellectuality and love. His works of poetry have become the best-sellers in the US. His most famous motto is: "Come whoever you are, come". I drove three hours from my home town Ankara to Konya where Rumi had lived and enjoyed four days there. I am still thinking of paying a second visit there nowadays for a further and detailed exploration.

Konya is built on a flat ground except where only in the center of the city is an artificial hill from the Hittities. It has a population of 800000 and it is somehow compared to some European countries in terms of its population and vast geography.

The city had served as the capital city of Seldjuks and the biggest home for the sufis of the ancient Islamic tradition. It is the most conservative city in Turkey and in some part of the city you may feel like you are in Arabia or Iran. I spotted to see that Konya is as historical as İstanbul considering the aboundancy of its ancient mosques and sufi shrines which are so many to see.

An inner view from the Mosque Of Alaeddin.

The shrines of Seldjuks sultans.

An unfinished and empty shrine.

The only church in the city center.

The shrine of Shamsi Tebrizi -the best friend of Rumi.

I guess she is Diana, the ancient Roman goddess.

A sarcophagus from the Museum of Archeology.

A view of another sarcophagus.

A tomb with a roof cover from the Roman era in the garden of the museum.

The Museum of Thin Minaret originally built to serve as a sufi school. Dated back to 13th cc.

For me here is the heart of the mystical city. The shrine of Rumi looks much more impressive at night. Today it is visited as the Museum of Mevlana. A must to see.

I was lucky enough to witness a show of whirling dervishes performed once a month.

This dance was originally performed by Mevlana Rumi and his disciples. Today all ancient mystical cults are officially closed by the laws of revolution.
Therefore what is performed today is only a presentation of a cultural show.

As a learned and practioning yogi I guess what they are doing is a kind of meditaton/prayer.

The sufis on their meals. Note that they are not real -only symbolic expressions!

The Holy Shrine of Rumi.

Another view from the shrine of the sun of intellectuality and love. A true incarnation of tolerance and love.

An artistic expression of a whirling sufi and his school.

A view from the Aziziye Mosque. I just loved its minarets.

I do not know what this serves for. Maybe an aesthetic monument.

A shot from inside of the Shrine Ateşbaz Veli, the cook/disciple of Mevlana Rumi.

Great pictures!! This seems very interesting, I wish visit Turkey some day.
I readed some time ago that the dervish whirl is in fact a kind of prayer, one hand looking upward taking from god, and the other looking downward for giving it to people.

Great pictures!! This seems very interesting, I wish visit Turkey some day.
I readed some time ago that the dervish whirl is in fact a kind of prayer, one hand looking upward taking from god, and the other looking downward for giving it to people.
yes that is right. that means that they do not take anything for themselves, but they spread it to the people.
and the "sema" (whirling ritual) has many more meanings
for example, the hats they are wearing symbolize the tomb stone and the dress represents the shroud. this means they are dead (they are not bound to this world) before their physical death has arrived. and their rotation is a symbol of the earth and planets rotating around themselves and around the sun. this symbol of the universe points to the greatness of god who has created the sun and the planets and made them rotate. when the sheikh (the head of the rituals) enters the scene and starts rotating, he symbolizes the sun, or Rumi and the other dervishes rotate around him.
also the ritual consists of 4 parts, which are like different steps to finding yourself (and discovering god :) )
in the first part, the man realizes god through the path of knowlegde.
in the second part he observes the universe: its beauty and greatness. this amazes him and he takes a step closer to understanding god.
in the third part this amazement turns into love, and he totally surrenders himself to this love and his own existence vanishes within it. now he has reached to some phase like "nirvana". but this is not the last step in reaching god.
in the last part, the spiritual journey ends and he becomes a human again, accepting his nature and his responsibilities as a human. thus after he found god and lost himself, he finds his own self again.
these meanings are only the ones that i know, i'm sure there are many more. it is really interesting and fascinating.

I've seen the light my friend, thanx for your explaining!!
I guess Rumi said something like that "every flower can blossom, but has to reach for the Gardener by its own way". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well maybe it's too much to say that but majorty of moslems (especially the wahabi's in saudi arabia) gets sufism something like evil. Because they believe that sufism is a kind of gnostic belief which is the continious of Kabalah of jews.

--

and vulcano, if you'll have time to come turkey once, just know that you have a house in istanbul, i can basicly give the keys of my home.

Thanx for your offering, heathen. Maybe some day... there must be a big astronomical conjunction for me to go, but if that occurs, I'll contact you, meanwhile I'll conform in posting here... I've no alternative