My Twin

VampiricYouth

Jul 15, 2005
I was listening to the song today and I got thinking.

The neck and then the chain
The head is hung in shame

Seems to be a pretty straightforward analogy to suicide, yet these lyrics seem too "Emo" for Katatonia, especially over a girl so, do you think that it's maybe no the speaker who has killed himself, but his ex-girlfriend who realized that she made the biggest mistake of her life by ending their relationship and hurting the person she most cared about?

A lot of songs on Viva Emptiness seemed to do this, where the lyrics don't always refer to the speaker or "main character" of a song...As much as people will disagree, I really see Viva Emptiness being an album about choosing between family or crime...Ghost Of The Sun sounds like a failed girlfriend/boyfriend relationship song, but to me it's about the brother of the Viva Emptiness character losing trust in his sibling over the life he's chosen.

"I once played a role,
I was out there marketing my soul"

seems to imply that both brothers were somehow involved in crime, yet the one changed his ways and is disappointed that his brother didn't follow suit.

I think you interpret too much...Jonas lyrics are maybe more simple and straightforward than they seem...
anyways this is a discussion without end...everyone can give his own interpretation.
at least in the video "the neck" and "then the chain" is just the neck of the girl and a necklace/chain of the girl..kind of flashes of images the protagonist gets when he thinks about the girl he has lost...

anyways sometimes I feel I would be really curious to ask Jonas "so now tell us what you where thinking when you wrote this and that...what do you mean with all those cryptic lyrics" but then...well maybe his explanations would ruin all the interpretations we have created in our minds and maybe they would just leave us disappointed..kind of, ah it was such a simple thing you meant, etc...

ether said:
I think you interpret too much...Jonas lyrics are maybe more simple and straightforward than they seem...
anyways this is a discussion without end...everyone can give his own interpretation.
at least in the video "the neck" and "then the chain" is just the neck of the girl and a necklace/chain of the girl..kind of flashes of images the protagonist gets when he thinks about the girl he has lost...

anyways sometimes I feel I would be really curious to ask Jonas "so now tell us what you where thinking when you wrote this and that...what do you mean with all those cryptic lyrics" but then...well maybe his explanations would ruin all the interpretations we have created in our minds and maybe they would just leave us disappointed..kind of, ah it was such a simple thing you meant, etc...

and if you got that notion, i second that emotion.

totally agree, like, ghost of the sun, i have seen too much interpretations, criminals too, people see this song as some one involved in gangs, i see it like a person who got a close person kidnapped.

just let your mind flow man.