Katatonia - Wealth. Man on a cross...

qweac

Awesome Member!
Jun 10, 2004
Greetings!

I'm just wondering if anyone here could explain to me what the lyrics in the song "wealth" is all about? And what do the man hanging on a cross on the back of the viva emptiness Hooded Sweatshirt have to do with this song? I mean since it stands "wealth" under the cross.

Thx.

The whole album has to do with criminal life, mafia and all that. Someone might disprove what I say, but that guy probably was a victim of crime because of betrayal or just who held the wealth.

Or something. Shouldn't post when I'm sleepy and sugar-high.

it's like in Harry Potter when that guy's head gets shrunk into a baby's when Harry was pwning people in the big fight in The Order of The Phoenix.

I've just always thought the song was pretty straight-forward. Basically like how Western countries are some of the wealthiest in the world yet so many people feel so empty. Loads of wealthy people turn to drugs and end up spending all that extra money on them. Also, money doesn't fix all our problems and in the end, no matter how wealthy we are, we all die.

Never really thought about the artwork. I guess it could be a metaphor for all I said above. In the booklet they're nailed to a wall so maybe they're just permanently with their backs to a wall. The crucified person is in a business suit, so it could just mean that they're a slave to their work and their ambition to have wealth because they think it'll make them happy and in the end it imprisons them and just slowly tortures them and eventually kills them.

I’m sorry if i was misunderstood mate, but when you are on this forum as long as I am, things become routine, and you start making short posts, perhaps I should've had explained my view better. Therefore if someone was offended by my crappy post (which actually was), I apologize.

So I’ll try and explain my views better. In my humble opinion, Katatonia have departed ways with their previous sound, which is pretty much acceptable since they never tended to dwell too much on a style. That’s what still makes them very exciting to listen to, but on their progress, I guess their “sentiment” was forsaken… it’s ok, I no longer identify with their atmosphere, but musically I can agree there’s been some progression.
But damn, a concept song about the mafia… for a guy listening to them since Dance… is kind of a crappy concept. The music and words put together sound good, but connections with the mafia just ruined it for me.
peace

I don´t think the song refers to mafia...even if ok on the whole album there are some songs in a way related to this...but katatonia is going into a new direction....and lyrically is exploring new territories...which I don´t know if it is an improvment or not...So I guess we can´t expect anymore those personal, "self whining" lyrics..(which I really liked), but maybe something more abstract or little stories about modern life, etc.

I miss the old dark times too from this point of view, but we shall see what the new album will bring...

ether said:
I don´t think the song refers to mafia...even if ok on the whole album there are some songs in a way related to this...but katatonia is going into a new direction....and lyrically is exploring new territories...which I don´t know if it is an improvment or not...So I guess we can´t expect anymore those personal, "self whining" lyrics..(which I really liked), but maybe something more abstract or little stories about modern life, etc.

I miss the old dark times too from this point of view, but we shall see what the new album will bring...

I think the personal "self whining" lyrics are still there, but used less often and differently than before.

Yeah, I don't think Wealth is about the mafia at all. Some of the previous posts had good ideas about what the song might be dealing with. I don't have any explanation better than those already provided.

LoboUivante, of course it's your right to think it's a crappy conceptual song, but in order to think that, I'd first think that you'd have to know exactly what the song is really about. Do you?