My VCC vs Nebula experience

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

This isn't the shoot-out I've been promising forever... that's yet to come. What I wanted to go over here was my experience mixing my first project using VCC, from the ground up.

It's a radio rock type CD, so a perfect opportunity to test the Brit 4k algorithm. I went through printing almost every single one of the tracks in the mix through my outboard, with an instance of VCC Channel preceding each chain. I used 4x oversampling exclusively, as I found only that gave the desired amount of high-softening. The idea was to avoid sounding like an ITB mix entirely.

So I had been at the mix for a few days (kinda unusual), and I just couldn't get it to where I wanted it to go. It seems no matter how much EQ, how much compression, nor balancing I did things just weren't shaping up. Mind you at this point, I'd capitulated and used Nebula 4k saturation on the overheads and guitars, as that has the effect of immediately clearing up the high mids, fattening them up, and creating this sense of 3d space.

So... at the end of my wits, I thought 'screw it, got nothing to lose', and I instantiated the Mix Bus instance of Nebula 4k saturation on the 2-bus. And then it happened. The mix went from 'arghggh!!' to 'finished' in the space of 3 seconds.

Now, I'm not sure which one of the two is more accurate to the actual desks... but there is a certain something I lost by not using Nebula on my mix. That became obvious the moment I instantiated it on the 2-bus. The kicker here is that Nebula doesn't do transient handling as well as VCC does... that's still a weak spot for it. So I've found my ideal workflow is a hybridization of the two.

I'll likely print Nebula directly to tracks as I always have - it literally just makes the mix come together faster and feel so much more fun - but then use VCC on busses for its transient handling. I think the combination of the two can bring one closer to proper analogue desk mixing better than anything else I know of.

Cheers for bearing with me. Just wanted to report those results. Basically if I had to summarize it I'd say it like this:

I greatly prefer the spectral colouring and '3dness' of Nebula, but greatly prefer the transient handling of VCC. Together the two may well be the shiz.

So your action plan is print
-Nebula line instances to the tracks,
-add the VCC channel (or the mix bus version ?) to the busses
-use nebula mix bus on the "master"/2-bus
?

Did you play around with the gain and drive settings?

Steven said, that you dont need to use them to get the console vibe of each model but I realy want to hear a difference from the beginning so I push each channel a bit. Sometimes +3dB on gain and drive.

This realy shapes everything and everything sounds more finished before I realy start mixing

Gabriel, I would have been pushing the master bus about 6dB into the red. I also pushed some of the bus instances pretty hard. The effect does become more pronounced, but its not the same tonal shaping as the Nebula programs.

@Williamn: Very likely that's how most projects will roll.

@Vendo: Yup.

Ermz, the Brit 4k algo does nothing for me. Stopped using it in favor of the Neve and Tube algos...much better/3d IMHO. You just need to Eq things a bit differently to compensate for the high end loss (and I know you know that). The 4k algo sounds kinda flat to me

Gabriel, I would have been pushing the master bus about 6dB into the red. I also pushed some of the bus instances pretty hard. The effect does become more pronounced, but its not the same tonal shaping as the Nebula programs.

@Williamn: Very likely that's how most projects will roll.

@Vendo: Yup.

Got ya.
Thats also the conclusion and how i have my workflow setup at the moment.
Nebula and VCC seem to compliment each other very good.

I could never really get into the other models in VCC for some reason.. maybe i need to play around with them some more.

I'm really interested in trying this out now, you've got me all excited :lol:

Have you tried the free version? I'm guessing it's super limited compared to the other bundles but unfortunately I have house stuff to buy now :erk:

Is it worth saving up for the pro bundle (guessing server bundle just enables use on other machines) as opposed to the normal one?

Cheers guys

Firaxis dont quote me on this, but I think you wont be able to use Alexb consoles with the free version.
And if you dident know, the Alexb CLC programs is something you have to buy separately from alexb :)

thanks for clearing that up! I spent ages trying to find the site and eventually got there through AlexB's site anyway. Guess I've got more saving to do then, damn saucepans and washing machines :lol:

Ermz, the Brit 4k algo does nothing for me. Stopped using it in favor of the Neve and Tube algos...much better/3d IMHO. You just need to Eq things a bit differently to compensate for the high end loss (and I know you know that). The 4k algo sounds kinda flat to me

+1

Im doing a metal mix atm and was using the Brit 4k. THen i compared it to a rock album i did last month and the rock album which i used BritN and it had such more punch in the middle, great separation and nice highs. The metal mix just sounded dull and boring. I switched to BritN on the masterbus on the metal mix and TADAAAA!!!! OMG now it sounded so much better. For now im gonna use BritN for all my mixes, sounds better then the 4k.

Im still using the 4k on some of the channels though

I've noticed the VCC Neve emulation on the master bus does sound a lot better than the 4k, but in my case it doesn't matter. The Nebula CLC master bus instance annihilates with its depth and thickness, so I'm happy to use the 4k VCC model as a sort of transparent transient saturator to compliment that.

I had a similar experience when mixing the In Malice's Wake album. I couldn't get it all gelling properly, as I was trying the Nebula MLC (SSL 9k) saturation. It was very clean and kept all my fidelity intact, but it wasn't gluing together. So I dropped the MLC master bus instance in favor of the CLC one and it was all done, right then and there. It's the single most 'magic fix' plug-in I own. Just takes anything you run through it and gives you extra analogue smoothness and depth... it's almost uncanny to have in an ITB environment.

Ermz, Crillerman, I also tried the Api emulation instead of the BritN and it sounded great. The N was 'pumping' a little bit. I could feel the lows moving a lot on the BritN setting. But the 4k sounds flat/boring/dull for me.

The Trident algo is great for guitar bus, btw. Api on individual tracks and Trident on the buss, for added separation.

SSL is easily my least favourite console in VCC. I find it doesn't seem to do much compared to the others

Neve is good but the bottom end can get overbearing if you're not careful. API is nice and bright/lean sounding. Trident has something really cool about it too. Not as obvious as the Neve or API, it's like it's somewhere inbetween the two. Not really used the tube one yet.

Ermz, Crillerman, I also tried the Api emulation instead of the BritN and it sounded great. The N was 'pumping' a little bit. I could feel the lows moving a lot on the BritN setting. But the 4k sounds flat/boring/dull for me.

Im actually abusing VCC bus plugin. Using both BritN and API :D on the master. The api give a nice in-your-face sound and does something really nice to the snare :) and the BritN gives you such nice lowend, stereofield and punch

Im actually abusing VCC bus plugin. Using both BritN and API :D on the master. The api give a nice in-your-face sound and does something really nice to the snare :) and the BritN gives you such nice lowend, stereofield and punch

So you use two instances on the 2buss?!